2003 Cali Aluminum-Thoughts? Opinions?

felix42o

There's one that just arrived on a trade at the shop near my g/f's house. A little rough, 9000 miles, but with lots of accessories. (Bags, windshield, pipes, etc). Seems like a good buy at around $4,000. Anyone here have one of these? I need another bike like I need another mother in law. But will I be able to resist? Must...fight...the...urge... :unsure:

Plus, the girlfriend says it looks like something she'd like to ride on, so there's some practicality involved.

Guest ratchethack

Felix, Mark Etheridge and the boys at Moto Guzzi Classics up in Long Beach http://www.motoguzziclassics.com/MGCContact1.asp have been foolin' around with an Aluminum for I don't know how many years. Mark claims to have hit 120 with it at Bonneville. Mark's a good guy. If you give him a call I'm sure he could answer any Q's.

Have fun.

post-1212-1229991707_thumb.jpg

post-1212-1229982515_thumb.jpg

The Aluminator, well salted

Yeah, I've been to the shop...great guys for sure. It was there that I saw one "in the flesh" for the first time. Much better looking than in the pictures. Thanks for the tip. I might give 'em a call just to see about any issues but I imagine that, short of the hydraulic lifters and a 5-speed box, not much is mechanically different than our beloved V11's.

CHeck, for sure, on the status of two intems:

1) That the final cam update was done.

2) Check that the clutch was updated to the double-plate design.

I'll be sure to ask. Is there any obvious way to tell wrt these updates, or is word of mouth and service records as good as it gets?

I'm not sold on this thing yet, but something about an unwanted Guzzi stuffed in the corner always grabs my attention. ^_^

Yeah, I was thinking between $3000 and $3500 with a phone number, pending the dealers knowledge of its history. Don't really need it, so we'll see how it goes.

Good points all around, as usual. I had sort of planned on tearing into it a bit anyway, and it sounds like that may be the only safe way to check on the trouble spots.

For the clutch, you can either pull the rubber bung on the bell housing and look, or do the feel test: Squeeze the clutch lever. If it's a fairly heavy and linear pull, it's a two-plater. If it's a light pull with a noticable reduction in pull as the lever nears the bars, it's a single-plater. For the cam, pull one valve cover. If the "adjusters" on the rockers are threeaded but the top part that extends above the rocker is broken off, the cam update was done.

For the clutch, you can either pull the rubber bung on the bell housing and look, or do the feel test: Squeeze the clutch lever. If it's a fairly heavy and linear pull, it's a two-plater.

With the engine running, pull the clutch lever in, if it sounds like something is coming apart,falling around or just messed up, then it is a dual plate. All this sound is normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Felix, I bought an EV-80 Cal with 8,000Km on it last June mainly because my wife found the V11 cramped her legs. The fact that she got a couple of Italian Leather Burgundy "Handbags" (panniers) to go with it sealed the deal. We have found it to be supremely comfortable for up to 700km days in the saddle. I have only had the forks and shocks optimised for our weight - forks were revalved the shocks were replaced. I have found it to be very different to a V11 but still an absolute blast. The gearbox has a gap between 2nd a 3rd you could do without, but other than that and the linked brakes being a mite strange if you trail brake into corners - on occasions.

I have succeeded (as I have got used to the bike) in impressing a few Ducati riders who have thought they would shake me off, but looked up to see I was still hanging on to them ! Just a matter of carving corners smoothly and setting entry speeds to suit. I have included a photo of the bike.

With the engine running, pull the clutch lever in, if it sounds like something is coming apart,falling around or just messed up, then it is a dual plate. All this sound is normal.

Just read in a magazine that a dry two plate clutch has the "sound of a chronic masturbater with marbles in his pockets." :lol:

As usual, good info all around. I went back, pulled a valve cover to verify the valvetrain work, and checked for the 'marble-laden masturbating sounds' wrt to the clutch. All seemed well, so I picked it up last weekend. Long story short, the dealer felt the same way about this bike as the one I bought the Tenni from: 'Just get it out of here, I don't know anything about it and it's scaring the other bikes.'

My initial impressions are good. The 5-speed box is very smooth; the only fly in the ointment being the weird spacing between 2nd and 3rd that Gregg mentioned. Handling is great, with easy turn-in, and holds a line surprisingly well. That said, the fork is waaay heavy on the compression and the shocks are ridiculously undersprung. That will be the first and, for now at least, only major modification. Even though somewhat expected, It's interesting to note that though the motor is the same, it's only vaguely familiar compared to the Tenni. Totally different animal.

I have to mount the sissy bar before the girlfriend will ride, but I think it should be a nice addition to the stable.

All that said, it's nowhere near as fun as the V11, so I'm not jumping ship by any means. ;)

Thanks (or no thanks;) again to all who didn't talk me out of the purchase. Pics to follow soon.

Congratulations Felix, I am sure you will enjoy the Cal - you are right it is a very different beast to a V11 but I tell you what, it is not that much slower if you don't have your wife on board !

I will be interested to hear your comments once you have settled into ownership.