Clarkson does it again

As (it seems) usual, Jeremy Clarkson has again succeeded in mixing up entertainment with blatant disregards for honest journalist ethical work and decided to do his own mise-en-scène while filming a "race" between the californian Tesla electric car and the Lotus Elise.

The Tesla had the Elise in a corner, outpowering it totally on the straights and really owning the english beauty...until they film the Tesla slowing down, and having to be pushed to get its batteries (more than 6.000 of them) being recharged.

It turned out that the Tesla didn't slow down, but it was a theorical situation to explain what would happen if it did, and being able to throw in in the fact that the Tesla needs 16 hours of charge to be fully on again.

This said, the Tesla got a very good review from Clarkson, but Clarkson's means are despictable at times.

Top Gear test on Youtube (while it lasts...)

The Guardian article

It turned out that the Tesla didn't slow down, but it was a theorical situation to explain what would happen if it did, and being able to throwing in the fact that the Tesla needs 16 hours of charge to be fully on again.

Despicable indeed!

In the video they say they worked out it would run out of power after only 55 miles while they dramatize it running out of power.

Shoddy media production!

They thought it was a little heavy because of the battery. Surely they could produce a car with half the range with a lot less weight and much lower cost.

Battery options could make a big difference in marketability.

well, the Tesla does well, and Clarckson should have learnt a bit more about electric cars before. The big plus from electric cars is, that a petrol car has about 30% fuel efficiency, where electric can go to 80%. That electric is still expensive and underdeveloped, is because the multinationals don't put money in it.

Ummm, I don't entirely agree with that.

He liked the car but it did run out of oomph during the road test. Then they brought out the spare ,and it died too. I think the general concensus was that while it's a worthwhile attempt, They wouldn't spend 3 times more for it then the lotus ,which is basically identical, even if it is more eco friendly(something I'm not convinced about either, as the power to recharge the batteries has to come from somewhere, and certainly where I come from it's not that clean. or cheap).

Which I thought of as fair.

Did you see the rest of the show? They reviewed the new honda which is powered by hydrogen and only at the moment available in California. But it's a real car, can be refueled easily, produces no bad emissions and has 140 hp. I'm sure it has it's faults too, but they, and I think I agree, seemed to think this was a huge step forward.

I mean the prius has it's obvious faults too, but at least it's a step in the right direction. Baby steps, I suppose.

Ummm, I don't entirely agree with that.

He liked the car but it did run out of oomph during the road test. Then they brought out the spare ,and it died too.

The spare car dying (overheating) was real.

The first one running out of oomph (available amps from batteries) was a misleading lie (or journalistic error).

Read the Guardian article linked in jihem's first post.

well, the Tesla does well, and Clarckson should have learnt a bit more about electric cars before. The big plus from electric cars is, that a petrol car has about 30% fuel efficiency, where electric can go to 80%. That electric is still expensive and underdeveloped, is because the multinationals don't put money in it.

No, an electric car has 80% of the 40% efficiency available at the power plant, less transmission losses, which works out to... about 28% iirc. Plus the much higher costs of production, toxic waste at end of life, etc., all of which is how they figure an H2 Hummer has lower lifetime costs than a Prius.

The original Scion XB [not the redesigned, uglier model that's about 1.5x the size] is still your best bet Stateside for efficiency, altho' if the Swatch car folks ever get bright & bring the euro-model diesel over then it'll be game over for the OG XB... ;)

I used to own an Elise for 5 years- and the reason why that car is so good at what it does is low mass- 770kgs which makes 120bhp seem very fast (for a car) and the handling is beautifully balanced. They spoilt the car completely as soon as they started fitted electric windows, ABS, airbags, servo brakes etc just to please other markets- completely against Colin Chapman's principles but understandable from a commercial point of view.

I think the Tesla is a step in the right direction- and it makes you wonder what sort of electric car will exist in 10 years time- obviously technology is getting on a bit. Clarkson can be funny, but deep down he is a small minded prat.

This is pure class: Clarkson Island

No, an electric car has 80% of the 40% efficiency available at the power plant, less transmission losses, which works out to... about 28% iirc. Plus the much higher costs of production, toxic waste at end of life, etc., all of which is how they figure an H2 Hummer has lower lifetime costs than a Prius.

The original Scion XB [not the redesigned, uglier model that's about 1.5x the size] is still your best bet Stateside for efficiency, altho' if the Swatch car folks ever get bright & bring the euro-model diesel over then it'll be game over for the OG XB... ;)

Here is a counter argument to the gross misrepresentation of the prius compared to the Hummer.

http://www.pacinst.org/topics/integrity_of...rsus_prius.html

Also, I find it hard to believe a Scion would burn less fuel per mile than a Toyota Yaris or a (Mercedes) Smart car. The Yaris is basically a Scion but with a ~20% smaller engine.

Awww... he's not a small minded prat, he's just a bit misunderstood. Bit like my Dad.

Anyway, he's involved in about the most entertaining thing on tely at the mo., so I cut him a lot of slack.

I'd say he's a great man to on the piss with.

As regards the show being misleading, yeah some of it was,, but the basic point was well made. 3 days to get to Scotland and back, from London. The technology just isn't there yet.

Baby steps, maybe, but i'm not about to fork out 100K for one of them.

The electric car is very practical for everyday city driving use for most people. The only problem that hasnt been solved yet is the recharging speed. Oh and it would be better if they could go 150 miles on a charge. I would love to have one in the wintertime as it would heat right up instead of having to wait for the conventional gas engine to defrost the windows.

I think one solution could be a universal battery size that could be swapped at a service station when you need a charge. Just pull up & have a crane pull the drained one out & plug a fresh one in. If its done right it wouldnt take any longer than a fillup.