2002 Scura

markscura

Hi Guys sorry to bring up an old subject. I have a 2002 V11 Scura. It has done 4 transmison selector springs. Im getting tired of having them replaced. I have locked at the lengthy thread but it appears to be quite old. Can some one tell me of the latest permanent fix to remedy the problem as in where can I get a stronger spring?. Thanks Mark.

As I understand it, a bunch of gear shift shafts were machined too large in diameter. That causes the spring to break.

Replace the shaft of have it turned down to the correct size.

http://cannonracecraft.com/catalog/product...51ca1e98d9bb5ed

or if you have questions about availability, etc., by phone Bonnie at (405) 524-7223

I think they made the spring big enough to not bind on the biggest bosses. Can anyone confirm?

If you read through the five hundred posts on the matter, the answer is somewhere.

Hi Guys sorry to bring up an old subject. I have a 2002 V11 Scura. It has done 4 transmison selector springs. Im getting tired of having them replaced. I have locked at the lengthy thread but it appears to be quite old. Can some one tell me of the latest permanent fix to remedy the problem as in where can I get a stronger spring?. Thanks Mark.

Thanks Guys I will look into it and see if that stronger spring is available.

From the last time – I thought that you did, or were going to, change the pawl arm as well? Did you change both parts so that you have the correct combination of spring (coil size) and arm (boss size)?

EDIT: Maybe it was someone else, not you, who posted before, but I think it was a Mark??

I don't think that there's much talk about the spring these days because the fix has worked for most people, so it's a surprise that you have been through 4 springs.

By the by, there are still 2002 bikes running around and breaking their springs (original or not, I don't know). From time to time I get mails from people who have found / used the pics that I have on the web about the fix. The last one was just about a week ago.

I think that the later spring with larger coil (to allow for variations in the boss size) is 04 23 83 00

Thanks again guys I am looking at the pawl arms as well. This site has been great for info. I always read it but have never got on the forum before. I have had no problems with the clutch as yet but I guess after what Ive been reading I will have to look at that in the future as well. I love the bike I intend to keep it and just get it sorted. Ive been riding Guzzis for 28 years and cant think of another bike I want.

I replaced mine, and the replacement was bigger and of a heavier wire.

originalcombo.jpg

This is the original spring in place around the pawl arm.

newcombo.jpg

This is the replacement- there is more clearance with this set-up than there would have been with the original spring and a 15mm pawl arm, instead of the 16+mm one I have. I did not replace the pawl arm due to the clearance I have.

oldandnewspring.jpg

Comparison between the two springs.

I can't see how you could continue to break them- maybe your dealer is giving out his stock of old springs?

Garsdad