Missing the Guzzi... Warranty Work..

Richard Z

I'll try to keep this short.

Nov. 29th 2008.

I took the Sport in for a 2 year service, tires, brakes etc. Along with that, the Odometer had quit back in July.. Woo Hoo. free miles...

My Dealer, great group of folk's and in no way this is any of their fault. Ordered the parts in August to have them ready when I brought it in.

OK. Right Speedometer, however it didn't come with a trip meter knob. 1 month 3 speedo's and 4 knobs, still nothing that will work or remotely the same. Here is the funny part. One of the speedometers odometer shaft is not threaded and one of the trip knob is, but will slip over the shaft. After several emails from my dealer to MG's sales rep etc. MG USA recommended JB welding that knob onto the speedometer's tripmeter shaft. Remember, this is warranty work.

JB weld the knob onto the speedometer? Wow! Just Wow. of course my dealer refused this as a proper repair.

Anyway, I just couldn't believe when I read the email from MG USA to do this to fix the problem..

I'm not griping or bitching. Just thought it was funny. Eventually they get it resolved the correct way.

It just gives me a reason to ride the Ducati for a while...

Oh BTW, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year... I will. I will be getting a Guzzi with ZERO Miles on it...

Richard Z.

I believe the odometer knob is a reverse (left hand) thread.

Yes, Correct. The knobs that have shown up are left hand threads. Except, the speedometers there are NO threads at all.

Typical. Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing... LOL

BTW, I was molesting the V7Classic on the sales floor and noticed, Its gauge, Instruments, clocks, are the same as the gauges on my Ducati 1000LE Paul Smart. Only difference is the Ducati/Eagle logo's.

Richard Z.

I guess your dealer hasn't replaced many speedometers.

They all come with a knob that is too big. Epoxy is the way to attach the supplied knob.

What do you mean, "resolved the correct way"? Where did your dealer source the correct size knob?

I guess your dealer hasn't replaced many speedometers.

They all come with a knob that is too big. Epoxy is the way to attach the supplied knob.

What do you mean, "resolved the correct way"? Where did your dealer source the correct size knob?

Should they have to replace a lot of speedometers?

If the dealer had the correct knob I'd be riding it. LOL

"Resolved the correct way?" I guess my dealer is referring to not gluing the part on. I guess I come from the old school, If it has threads machined in it, it must attach to something that accepts the threaded part.

Thanks for the heads up on the epoxy. To me, sounds a bit flakey for a repair. Maybe they are thinking the same way. If they had the information that this is the proper repair condoned by MG or the right person telling them to do it that way, then I'm sure that's what will be done. I'm not sure who the Email came from. Sales Rep, parts, etc. They may not even know the guy wasn't kidding. I'll drop in tomorrow and let them know you, brought this to my attention.

I sure hope the oil drain plug has threads along with the pan.LOL As I said before, I'm not losing sleep over it. It'll get resolved one way or another.

Oh well, I'll let them deal with it. Took the Duc out today. 51 degrees here. Let off the throttle bit hard and came down a little fast. Reinjured my left thumb again. Still figuring out the physics of keeping the front end aloft. Not.... :o

• 2 weeks later...

i just received a new speedo for my nero because i wanted it in km/hr instead of mph. NO KNOB...typical? of course the knob on my original mph speedo broke off as well, and the dealer said it wasn't listed and couldn't order it. after i got the new speedo, however, they said they would try and get a knob,so i told them to get 2 while they are at it,and stressed it needs the threaded screw as well after reading your post. still waiting to see what shows up. this is all after the speedo cable broke,also typical,and i waited a month and the wrong one showed up. the only good thing was the cable will fit my 00 sport,so i'll keep it for a spare. i imagine that will break as well ! the tach quit on the 00 also. from what i've gathered on this site is ,all the instruments and cables are crap! still love the bikes though...knock on wood?

this may sound silly but you can probably just make your own knob. If you have the right size knob material, a drill bit & the tap its a 10 minute job.

Hmm maybe I should go into the aftermarket odometer knob business! :lol:

you may as well make that an aftermarket gauges and knob business! the old lady says i don't need another knob!

this may sound silly but you can probably just make your own knob. If you have the right size knob material, a drill bit & the tap its a 10 minute job.

Hmm maybe I should go into the aftermarket odometer knob business! :lol:

I know I could. However, this is the dealer and MG's thing. The bike is nice and dry in a heated shop undercover. I'm not paying storage on it and it gives me a little room in my garage. Let them store it for me. I'm working on the Jackal and can ride the Ducati. However, the weather isn't the best here right now. So ALL is good...

I work in aircraft manufacturing and I know there is something out here in the plant I can make work and probably last an eternity.

• 1 year later...

I have just fitted a new speedo ( Kaput after 20002miles). Anyway went to fit the tripmeter knob and it just slides on :bbblll: there seems to be a thread but its definetely smaller than the trip knob. Anyway the new speedo works and the internal lights are working (a job on its own)so i am NOT taking the thing off. How has anyone resolved the situation, I have loctite threadlocker, will that do or what is JB weld. :luigi::mg:

I have just fitted a new speedo ( Kaput after 20002miles). Anyway went to fit the tripmeter knob and it just slides on :bbblll: there seems to be a thread but its definetely smaller than the trip knob. Anyway the new speedo works and the internal lights are working (a job on its own)so i am NOT taking the thing off. How has anyone resolved the situation, I have loctite threadlocker, will that do or what is JB weld. :luigi::mg:

I think way back in the when-ever, I used blue LocTite on my tripmeter shaft.

JB Weld is a two part epoxy with a metal substrate. 15 hour full strength which can then be drilled, milled, tapped or otherwise treated like metal.

• 3 weeks later...

From what I remember my knob did not come off the shaft. The entire knob and shaft unscrews left hand. I used some blue locktite because you may need to get it off.

knob, shaft ...this is just too easy... :grin::whistle: