crank shaft oil seal leaking

2or4strokes

Happy new year to all forum members

Hi I have just bought a V10 and since it is similar to the V11 or others I thought I would pose the questions here to get some help from the guzzi experts here.

1. This bike has a crankshaft oil seal leak into the clutch hosing and it is driving the previous owner, the mechanic and now me up the wall. They have changed a new oil seal and after the bike was sold to me it leak again immediately after a 30km ride. What is it that the mechanic did not do right and what do I have to watch out for when I replace the contaminated clutch again.

2. Is the V10 usuing a car clutch system and where can this clutch assembly can be bought.

3. Can a california or sports 1100i or any new clutch system from a newer guzzi fit(gris, norge)clutch fit ?

regards

strokers

#1 How many miles are on the bike?

#2 Is the crankcase vent clear?

#3 What brand seal was used on installation and what condition is the seal contact surface?

#4 You can clean the friction surface of the clutch disc with "brake cleaner" with multiple applications and letting it dry until you are satisfied. Clean all parts with brake cleaner also.

#5 This is the most important step. Be deliberate in EVERYTHING you do. It is no fun after the second teardown.

Guest ratchethack

As Gene noted, the surface of the crank where the lip of the oil seal rides is critically important. It's an unfortunate but all-too-common reality that scratching this surface (which is properly polished to flawless and mirror-like) happens when an inexperienced and/or unknowing wrench maven removes a previous seal with a cheap seal puller with rough, sharp edges on the stamped corners of the hooked part of the puller. Improperly and sloppily done, this can scratch/gouge the crank. Such a scratch may not be all that visible without magnification, but can quickly chew up a new seal, resulting in a new oil leak from the new seal. Unfortunately, the only fix is a crank-out operation to polish the scratch out on a lathe.

Before getting too concerned about this, again as Gene noted above, I'd make sure to eliminate the possibility that a blocked breather could be resulting in excess crankcase pressurization, potentially in combination with excessive blow-by due to worn/broken compression rings. This combination of problems could conspire to create a leak at the crank seal even if it's in perfect condition.

Backwards installation of a seal by an inexperienced and/or unknowing wrench maven would also do it, as reported on at least one occasion on this Forum. . . :rolleyes:

Good luck. :luigi:

First, make sure it is engine oil. Smell it. Does it smell like engine oil or transmission oil? If trans oil, it is most likely the clutch pushrod seal, though it could be a crack in the trans case or a leaky front trans seal.

If engine oil, it could be leaking from the cam plug, the gasket around the rear main bearing block, or the two lower bolts for the bearing block (these need to be sealed). It could also be a loose or cracked breather hose.

#1 How many miles are on the bike?

#2 Is the crankcase vent clear?

#3 What brand seal was used on installation and what condition is the seal contact surface?

#4 You can clean the friction surface of the clutch disc with "brake cleaner" with multiple applications and letting it dry until you are satisfied. Clean all parts with brake cleaner also.

#5 This is the most important step. Be deliberate in EVERYTHING you do. It is no fun after the second teardown.

Mileage is only 12500kms

Crankcase vent is clear

Crankseal according to prevoius owner is an Original guzzi Biton seal(not sure about spelling)

and for your info the mechanic has removed this gear box 3 times already to change it. Twice with non original seals and the last time with original parts but then it is still leaking.

Hi guys

Actually from what i know the former owners said it was the crankshaft oil seal leaking. Since the 3rd time it was removed they said it was still the crank seal. I have not dismantle the gear box yet but once done I will keep you guys updated. As I said I just bought the bike and intend to sort it's problems. Need to give Guzzi a good name for this brand is dying in my country. even Piaggio has decided not to bring in the bikes, giving up the agency recently. Ducati sells many bike here in my country. How does 12 or thereabouts desmosedici sounds to you in a country of 4 million.

As to my questions on the cluth assembly, is it a car clutch assembly?

In 24 years of working on Guzzis I have seen a rear main seal leak enough to foul a clutch three times in total, over hundreds of bikes worked on. I would submit that it is very unlikely that your one machine has seen three rear main seals fail. Look to the clutch pushrod seal.

In 24 years of working on Guzzis I have seen a rear main seal leak enough to foul a clutch three times in total, over hundreds of bikes worked on. I would submit that it is very unlikely that your one machine has seen three rear main seals fail. Look to the clutch pushrod seal.

Thanks Greg

I will look into all possibilities when I remove the gear box but as I said it leaked 3 times because they did not use an original seal. The clutch is also slipping and I felt the clutch springs are weak as compared to my sports 1100i. I want to change them but some guzzi delalers said these are rarely change. What are your thoughts on this.

stroker

I'm adding my voice to those who are casting doubt as to it being the crankshaft oil seal. I'm unsure what sort of clutch the v10 has, but if it is the usual guzzi 2 plater, a leaking crankshaft oil seal is in any case unlikely to produce serious contamination of the clutch plates, as the oil will be thrown outwards off the back of the flywheel. I rode an old T3 to Italy and back with oil pissing from the crankshaft oil seal. Made an oily mess all over the back of the bike, but it caused no problems with the clutch. But if the gearbox is weeping oil from the input shaft oil seal, it conveniently deposits this into the middle of the clutch, where it gets instantly distributed all over the clutch plates, ruining them. (Yes I had this happen on my T3 as well!).

Thanks Phil

Can someone help me and tell me the part number for this input shaft seal. I looked at the part list and is a little confused because there is a seal also on the gear selector mechanism. Is this the seal you guys are talking about. If it is it looks extremely small.

Please help and thanks in advance.....

strokers