The Style Laboratory

belfastguzzi

mgs01_37.jpg

So, why did Guzzi do it: after the past few years, what is the result of the MGS 01 being produced?

On their website, Guzzi says it gives, full attention to the sports model market segment and that for this reason it has, created a “style laboratory” where research can be carried out freely, looking for new ways to make enthusiasts dreams come true. They claim that the bike has returned Moto Guzzi to the aristocracy of world motorcycle racing.

Has the MGS 01 improved Guzzi's profile?

Has it resulted in any benefits to Guzzi's production model / research / technology development?

Why did they not use the new engine, which would have a direct real-world relationship to the rest of the range and Guzzi's customers (even it meant waiting a while before producing the bike)?

What was the strategy plan, what's the follow-up?

Good post, and the questions asked should be addressed by Piaggio.

There is market room for "MGS/HP2 Sport/Sport Classic" level of performance, especially as the supersport performance continues to go through the stratosphere for the average rider.

Why would I want exponential performance that is controlled by the use of techno trickery that I don't control?

http://ridethetorquecurve.blogspot.com/

I think they did it just to piss us off!

Actually I'm a little fuzzy on the exact history, but didn't Aprilia buy Guzzi about the time that the MGS01 was revealed? I can only guess that Aprilia decided they couldn't make enough money off another Vtwin sportbike that would cost more and go slower than their RSV. Horsepower rules in the sportbike market. Too bad because I think it's the coolest bike Guzzi ever made.

MGS.jpg

Actually I'm a little fuzzy on the exact history, but didn't Aprilia buy Guzzi about the time that the MGS01 was revealed? I can only guess that Aprilia decided they couldn't make enough money off another Vtwin sportbike that would cost more and go slower than their RSV. Horsepower rules in the sportbike market. Too bad because I think it's the coolest bike Guzzi ever made.

No it was Aprilia who was in charge of building the bike, it was presented toghether with the griso prototype, with same engine. The guzzi style labs was the name of some people working in mandello, but I could be wrong. And for Aprilia it was at the moment where things were going worse. Could be that without them, Piaggio would have never bought Guzzi, but we'll never know.

And strategy? Well, for shure the strategy, so it existed was changed during the building process.

If the goal would only be to build 50 bikes for racing, they wouldn't have invested so much in making molds for a number of parts. Like the gastank, swingarm and more parts. So I suppose in the beginning there was the idea of a streetbike too. Maybe until someone started calculating. It would have needed euro 3 approval, which is costy. And would be hard to become with the daytona engine in tuned shape.

And strategy? Well, for shure the strategy, so it existed was changed during the building process.

If the goal would only be to build 50 bikes for racing, they wouldn't have invested so much in making molds for a number of parts. Like the gastank, swingarm and more parts. So I suppose in the beginning there was the idea of a streetbike too. Maybe until someone started calculating. It would have needed euro 3 approval, which is costy. And would be hard to become with the daytona engine in tuned shape.

I know a lot of this has been talked to death here already, but, on the engine again...

The project seems to make strategic sense if there would be a direct link to street models, so why (ok, I know it can only be guess work) did they use the Daytona engine which clearly had no further life in it? Why not take a chance with the new engine – maybe they did intend that to be the next step? Should they not / could they not have started there, instead of starting with a 'kiss of death'?

OK, that's all speculation unless someone has inside knowledge.

The other part of the question was, what do you think has been achieved?

Does anyone think that Guzzi's standing / image / reputation has actually benefitted from the appearance of the bike? Or is the teasing and lack of follow-up counter-productive?

Can you see where any actual technical or even aesthetic benefits have been forthcoming? (That's where it seems to me that experiments with the new and future production motor would have brought much more benefit.)

What they achieved, a very nice very exclusive track bike, the griso was also part of the "style laboratry" exercise. There is quiet a few of those around and they seem to be selling.

Why did they use the daytona motor this bike was built in 2002/2003 for 2004 release the current 8Valve motor didn't exist nor for that matter did the cases the 8 valve motor now uses (1200cc redesign). I think the Parent company of Piaggio killed things off counld see a buisness case for both Aprilia and Guzzi competing in the same market.

the griso was also part of the "style laboratry" exercise

Ah, so from what you and Paul say, the 'Style Laboratory' was an actual project / project team.

I've looked it up and there is an interesting bit of blurb on plenty of sites. I assume that it comes from a Guzzi press release.

It does talk about a strategy. So the birth of the 01 Corsa and the Griso both came from that new exploratory process?

"Passion as a mission. The MGS-01 Corsa is .... a machine dedicated to all riders who love and understand motorcycling, not an over-tuned mass of technology for a limited few."

"Winning designs are not born by accident. Behind the sleek lines of the MGS-01 Corsa are strategic decisions, a gradual development process and above all the desire to explore the potential of the Moto Guzzi all the way, without limits.

....The "Style Laboratory" was set up at the beginning of 2002 as a training ground to put the skills and creativity of famous designers, planners and preparers such as Ghezzi & Brian to the test with the aim of designing motorcycles with modern style and technology, but unmistakably Moto Guzzi.....All the company's technological and human resources were made available for the challenge which showed all signs of being both difficult and thrilling....The deadlines were concrete: the models designed, if agreed, must be ready to go into production within two years at most.

The technical starting point was the four-valve twin of the Centauro and the six speed box of the V11, for the first time working together.

To say that Ghezzi & Brian had little time to "give birth" to their creature would not be wrong, given that they had less than nine months, from February to November, to present the show-bike at Intermot in Munich.

The ideas were very clear. It must be simple, without frills, "pure".

Go back to the very essence of the motorcycle, be easy to ride and have a number of elements such as the exposed mechanics and shaft drive which would communicate the personality of the bike immediately.

From a technical point of view, attention was concentrated on ridability and handling. Short wheelbase, excellent balance and racing mechanics were the parameters on which work began immediately and with great enthusiasm.

The prototype had an original and aggressive design, sleek lines and a decidedly sporting temperament in an ultra-modern interpretation of the Moto Guzzi spirit in which the lines reflect the technical characteristics of a bike able to transmit strong emotions. The use of lightweight components such as a swinging fork swingarm in box-type aluminium enabled the weight to be kept down.

This lightness, together with the rigidity of the rectangular cross-section steel single spar frame and high performance Öhlins suspension, gives this bike extraordinary handling.

.........The public was enthusiastic. Press reports were flattering. Articles on the bike started to flow into motorcycling sites, praising the beauty of the new Moto Guzzi to an extent that surprised even the design team. Market research commissioned by Moto Guzzi and carried out by CSM International showed that potential sports motorcycle buyers held the MGS-01’s styling in great esteem.

This was the stimulus to go ahead - also because customers and dealers wanted the motorcycle to go into mass production as soon as possible.

The public and motorcycling enthusiasts submerged the Mandello del Lario company with thousands of requests. All that was left was to decide the technical specifications.

..........The project is divided into two phases:

• a limited series non homologated - for racing use - MGS-01 Corsa will be available during the first quarter of 2004, complete with 122 HP power kit;

• the fully homologated production MGS-01 Serie will be launched in October 2004.

......The MGS-01 Corsa is a motorcycle with a sporting temperament. It is also a machine dedicated to all riders who love and understand motorcycling, not an over-tuned mass of technology for a limited few. The MGS-01 nevertheless has tremendous competition potential and could well dominate events like the American AMA Championship. A type of race which could also attract an enthusiastic following in Italy too."

MGS.jpg

I still look at it and think it is still the most beautiful bike I have EVER seen in my lifetime.

A friend of mine brought one of these in last summer, brand new from england, and pictures don't do it justice. Just a stunning machine! If guzzi could produce a newer streetable version with a 4 valve motor they would probably sell a lot more bikes, although the price tag could be a bit restictive if it is anywhere close to the tag on the mgs 01. i know i would buy one if it wasn't quite so pricey!