V11 owners near Baltimore - DC?

Emerson00

No one knows me here; I'm aware of that, so this is a long shot request.

I'm looking for "the next bike." What a wonderful decision to have to make: it's down to a LeMans or another Multistrada.

The LeMans I'm most keen on is 2000 miles away. It's been 4+ years since I test rode a V11. Loved it then, but I was inexperienced, and we all age (my aging included minor/major injuries to back, neck, 1 ankle, both knees... ).

I'm ready to pull the trigger, and while I've thought of the V11 since late 2004, I'm hesitating to buy a bike I haven't been on in years. There's an absolutely gorgeous Multistrada that even includes every single farkle I'd want, and even some I'd sell off, within an hour of home... for a very fair price.

Anyone in this area (let's just call it Maryland/Delaware/Nova) who might be crazy enough to let a stranger ride (even just a sit-on would be helpful) their V11? Possibly? In the name of Guzzisti propagation?

Hi and welcome to the forum. Don't know how bad you knee and ankle injuries are

but if they start to ache when the're bent for too long then I would say the V11 might not be

to good for you. The foot rest possition can feel a bit cramped at times.

I would of thought the Multistrada would be more comfortable for you as it's a more upright

riding possition. Although I think it's a bike that only it's mother can love the looks of :D

Sorry that i'm way too far away to let you try mine.

I'm on the south side of Baltimore. My wife has a 2001 V11 that has Ballabio bars added on. It is not a Lemans, but the seating position is not to different. Not sure if she'd let you ride it (she doesn't let ME ride it much) but I'm sure she'd let you sit on it. Might I suggest, though, that if a Multistrada is on your short list then a Guzzi may not be right for you. They are very different bikes. The V11 is a sportbike in GT clothes, the Multistrada is a sporty bike in ugly clothes. Anyway, let me know if I'm close enough to you to justify the trip just to look and sit.

FYI, Joe, a salesman at Speeds, has a V11 (a Rosso I believe). Maybe he would let you ride his, he is supposed to be selling Guzzis after all.

I'm on the south side of Baltimore. My wife has a 2001 V11 that has Ballabio bars added on. It is not a Lemans, but the seating position is not to different. Not sure if she'd let you ride it (she doesn't let ME ride it much) but I'm sure she'd let you sit on it. Might I suggest, though, that if a Multistrada is on your short list then a Guzzi may not be right for you. They are very different bikes. The V11 is a sportbike in GT clothes, the Multistrada is a sporty bike in ugly clothes. Anyway, let me know if I'm close enough to you to justify the trip just to look and sit.

FYI, Joe, a salesman at Speeds, has a V11 (a Rosso I believe). Maybe he would let you ride his, he is supposed to be selling Guzzis after all.

Thanks for the input. I found the V11 good years ago; I tested a Norge last year / late 2007 and was comfortable except the footpeg was really cramped. I couldn't fit my boot in there to shift w/o doing the contortionist thing.

I had a Multistrada for 4 years. Loved it. Always wanted 2 things: a LITTLE more wind protection, and a seat that wasn't a weapon of ass destruction.

I sold it for a few reasons - including a desire to try another motorcycle. Just something different.

I know they're different... that's the point.

Joe seems like a genuinely nice guy; though, to be honest, [i miss Speed being directly involved. I have found Battley Cycles up in Gaithersburg to be simply phenomenal for service for Ducati's. I'm unaware of any other "local" shops for Guzzis.]

I understand entirely abot no ride, but I may ask for a chance to just try ot the ergos to see if it's what I remember.

[edited to remove unecessarily subjective opinions and such... :huh: ]

I'm in Ellicott City, your welcome to come see the bike and might let you take it for a short ride. We need all the Guzzi riders we can get. My bike is not stock though, I have moto bits rear sets, convertibars, a Mistral x-over, FBF pipes, and a custom map, so the ergonomics may tell you how comfy the v11 can be with about $500. The stock setup hurt my back and knee's, with this new setup I've ridden all day without a problem.

Hi Emerson900, I am in Columbia and if we can arrange a time you can surely ride mine around the block or something. I have a 2000 V11, the ergos have been modified a bit though, actually it is this months BOTM. I have since returned the pegs back to the standard ones so your legs should be pretty close to the lemans position.

Sounds like plenty of helpful Guzzi owners here. Hope it works out.

I'm with you on Speed's. Merely suggesting that Joe has a Guzzi and he might let you ride it. But it sounds like that won't be needed.

As a side note, after having service issues at my local Maryland shop, I found a shop on the south side of Harrisburg, Pa that is excellent. They are a vintage Porsche shop that also is into bikes. They sell and service Guzzis and also love vintage Ducatis. The shop is worth a visit even just to look around.

See you around.

Sounds like plenty of helpful Guzzi owners here. Hope it works out.

I'm with you on Speed's. Merely suggesting that Joe has a Guzzi and he might let you ride it. But it sounds like that won't be needed.

As a side note, after having service issues at my local Maryland shop, I found a shop on the south side of Harrisburg, Pa that is excellent. They are a vintage Porsche shop that also is into bikes. They sell and service Guzzis and also love vintage Ducatis. The shop is worth a visit even just to look around.

See you around.

GuzziMoto do you mind giving a little more info on this shop in Harrisburg? sounds like a really cool destination. I love Porsches as well

GuzziMoto do you mind giving a little more info on this shop in Harrisburg? sounds like a really cool destination. I love Porsches as well

Guzzimoto - is that Europa Meccanica? I saw your other thread about finding another dealer because of the poor service at the local shop. I have a feeling we have experience at the same "local" shop.

I also appreciate the tip - Europa is a little closer than FBF (not much - I live on the Shore) and having that service option makes potential Guzzi ownership a little more comfortable.

It is Europa Meccanica (spelling?). They are right off I-83 south of Harrisburg. Their main business seems to be vintage Porsches, but they dable in all sorts of vintage sports cars and vintage Italian bikes. They sell and service only Guzzis. They only have one Guzzi mechanic as far as I know, but he seems very talented and I like their attention to detail. I would imagine that comes from dealing with vintage Porsches and their owners. My experience with them working on my wifes bike was excellent. They are not, however, a typical motorcycle shop in that they do not stock helmets, gloves,tires, or any of the other standard stuff. But their shop is worth a visit just for the cars and bikes they have. They are nice people to boot.

Guzzimoto - is that Europa Meccanica? I saw your other thread about finding another dealer because of the poor service at the local shop. I have a feeling we have experience at the same "local" shop.

I also appreciate the tip - Europa is a little closer than FBF (not much - I live on the Shore) and having that service option makes potential Guzzi ownership a little more comfortable.

Hope you get a Guzzi and maybe we can ride the eastern shore roads sometimes as I often ride to Chestertown in the warmer months since I have family there.

Hey Emerson - I'm on the shore too, in Salisbury, MD. Let me know if you want to arrange a time to check out my Nero. Regards.