bike stalls from neutral to first

lukethecaveman

I have a pretty clean 2000 moto guzzi v11 sport. bought the bike a few weeks runs fine, havent had any problems with it except just recently. i'll turn on the bike start it and have it idling in neutral...as soon as i try to shift it into first the bike shuts off. i intially thought the bike might of just had a week charge and the switch in gears would cause it to stall but it shuts off immediately regardless of what my rpm was at in neutral. all gauges are working accordingly. Any ideas thanks.

I have a pretty clean 2000 moto guzzi v11 sport. bought the bike a few weeks runs fine, havent had any problems with it except just recently. i'll turn on the bike start it and have it idling in neutral...as soon as i try to shift it into first the bike shuts off. i intially thought the bike might of just had a week charge and the switch in gears would cause it to stall but it shuts off immediately regardless of what my rpm was at in neutral. all gauges are working accordingly. Any ideas thanks.

If your kickstand is down it will shut off..(safety switch) ,regards doug

If your kickstand is down it will shut off..regards doug

thats a big sigh of relief, this is my first guzzi...i owned a 1972 suzuki gt550 and that thing was nothing but a wiring nightmare and when i ran into this problem i just thought, round 2. just tried it, works fine sorry about the dumb question had no idea about the kick stand being a kill switch like that.

Also, I find it helps to spray a little electrical cleaner in the switch. Put the little tube that usually comes with the spray can in the spray nozzle, use the tube to push back the pin/switch, and give her a few shots. Then, do the same thing with the tip of a tube of di-electric grease in the same place and poot a little of that in there to keep that switch happy for the future. And DON'T be embarrassed. Alot of people have had the same experience, don't ask me how I know, please, :homer: Good luck, S.H.

The middle relay could also be a little sticky. search here for relay replacements, whether OMRON or GEI.

If the bike's not been run much, she'll be happier and happier just to have regular attention.

Riding along today made me think: it isn't the relays (sure, they're good to check and even change, but wouldn't cause your problem). If it's not the sidestand switch itself, it could be the connections for it under the left side of the tank.

Good luck!

Hello Luke, I'm glad to see that your problem got resolved. If you live in Pittsburg we have a Guzzi breakfast the 4th sunday of the month in Lisbon Ohio starting back up in April or May. The food is good & the coffee is hot...lots of Guzzi's & Guzzi owners too. We need more new people so if you're interested pm me.

thats a big sigh of relief, this is my first guzzi...i owned a 1972 suzuki gt550 and that thing was nothing but a wiring nightmare and when i ran into this problem i just thought, round 2. just tried it, works fine sorry about the dumb question had no idea about the kick stand being a kill switch like that.

Most of my Guzzi's *have* been wiring bad dreams (not necessarily nightmares). The V11 has been the exception for me. Shrug...I'm not sure I have a point there.