New guy in upstate NY

Steve W

Hi all, I've been lurking for a while but as of yesterday am now an offical V11 owner, so thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm 50, have had a variety of old bikes for the last 30 years - at one point had over 30 at once. It's been a hobby for me, picking up things, wrenching on them, sometimes selling. My first love was Triumphs, still have several (pre-Hinckley).

Anyway, we used to have a local Guzzi dealer. One day I stopped in - and just fell in love with a 2002 silver/red LeMans he had on the floor. It was a demo w/ a couple thousand miles, but he was looking for about $8000 and it was just too much of a stretch for me. But, it piqued my interest in Guzzi's. Since then I've bought (and still own) an 850T (project) and modified SP1000. The 850T project has been back burnered although it's almost roadworthy. But I've been enjoying the SP1000...

guzzi.jpg

Not very stock, but some neat mods - Koni's, Bub exhaust, new FAC dampers, fork brace, K&N's, custom seat, and upgraded electrical. A fun scoot.

Never forgot my moto-lust for that '02 LeMans, though. Then a couple weeks I saw this on ebay...

MotoGuzzi1236.jpg

It had a very reasonable opening bid of $4500 with no reserve. I figured out a max bid I could live with, and won it for $4750. I guess there is some upside to the current crappy state of the economy. Has some nice upgrades - Rich Maund seat, full Mistral exhaust/crossover, Verlicchi bars/risers, the accessory bags - and less than 7800 miles! I picked it up yesterday - it had been a trade at a Guzzi dealer (Speaker's Cycles - Steubenville, Ohio), and it was a beautiful day down there - got to give it a test drive on some nice curvy, hilly roads. What a riot!

So, even though I've only spent 15 miles on it - I'm ecstatic. It really is my dream bike - the colors, the performance, the lines - everything. Will probably sell the SP as well as a couple other bikes to replenish the discretionary spend account, but so it goes.

Seems to be running well. Only issues so far I've noticed are the infamous bubbling engine block paint (which was noted in the listing), and the one throttle body is dribbling a little out the bottom.

There will undoubtely be plenty of questions, despite being a one owner bike it didn't have the owners manual so I have no documentation on it. But anyway, I see there's a ton of info here and am looking forward to being part of the group...

Regards,

Steve

I wouldnt worry too much about the slight leak from the tb. It seems that a lot of them, including mine do that. Jason Speaker does very good work on the Guzzis, so I'm sure it runs as good as a v11 can. I've had him tune mine up a few times & it always runs great when its done.

So you like those roads down there by the river? :race: That really is some beautiful country in eastern ohio, western pennsylvania. You just gotta watch for gravel & road debris this time of the year.

Your a lucky guy! welcome here... service manuals are available on the web free, try dpguzzi.com or thisoldtracktor.com for starters. then don't miss guzzitech.com.

I got mine w/7800 miles to last august, about 13,000 now and I really love it! wish I had your seat.

IMG_1329.jpg

Hi Steve,

Nice find,the 02's sure are purdy. :wub:

Where abouts are ya?There are a handful of us in the western Ma,Conn,capitol area.I'm near New Paltz/Kingston.

Welcome to the fold :bier: