1100 engine wear

Murray

So my carbed 1100 sport has done just over 112 000kms a lot of them not particularly gently. Timing chain was replaced about 20 000 kms ago serviced every 5 000 etc etc. Compression test shows it down a bit but what I'm really starting to notice is its drinking fuel like there is no tomorrow ie its matching my 4.2 V8 car :eek: admittedly I don't push the car along anywhere near as hard as the bike. I'm figuring its making less power so to push it along at the same speeds I'm using more throttle I havn't done an ultimate top end run latlely to see what it finally winds out too ie if it pulls up short its making less power than it used too.

Winter is a couple of months away might be time for a rebuild was looking for some input from other high milage 1100 motors to see if this is one of the signs of the motor on the way out I'm thinking I should bite the bullet and do it sooner rather than putting up with it for a bit longer then do it when it starts drinking oil and fuel. Or is more likely to be a carb or two in need of a rebuild bike still starts and runs well BTW.

So my carbed 1100 sport has done just over 112 000kms a lot of them not particularly gently. Timing chain was replaced about 20 000 kms ago serviced every 5 000 etc etc. Compression test shows it down a bit but what I'm really starting to notice is its drinking fuel like there is no tomorrow ie its matching my 4.2 V8 car :eek: admittedly I don't push the car along anywhere near as hard as the bike. I'm figuring its making less power so to push it along at the same speeds I'm using more throttle I havn't done an ultimate top end run latlely to see what it finally winds out too ie if it pulls up short its making less power than it used too.

Winter is a couple of months away might be time for a rebuild was looking for some input from other high milage 1100 motors to see if this is one of the signs of the motor on the way out I'm thinking I should bite the bullet and do it sooner rather than putting up with it for a bit longer then do it when it starts drinking oil and fuel. Or is more likely to be a carb or two in need of a rebuild bike still starts and runs well BTW.

Before you spend big bucks try replacing the needles and atomisers.

Pete

Before you spend big bucks try replacing the needles and atomisers.

Pete

Oh, come on, Pete: how can you be soft-selling the consumables when everyone knows he really needs the Keihin 41 FCRs if he wants any kind of satisfaction from the Spot... ;)

...of course, they probably won't help his fuel usage issue any! :lol: