rod knock? At 7800 miles?

Steve W

Yeah, I'd day I'm far above average in mechanical conpetence for an amateur. .....

.....That's the thing - I've heard rod knocks before, and my '02 sure sounds like it's got a rod knock...

Steve

Stay easy, Steve, it's 100% just the gearbox. It sounds realy clunky some times, knocks if you like. The knocking changes, even vanishes for some seconds if you play a bit with the clutch lever, pull in - let go and so.

Try that before you get inside the engine. Believe me, the internals like it dark!

Hubert

... But I've never been in the bottom end of a Guzzi and like to have as much info as is available before digging into new experiences. I'm just too old and lazy to try and figure it all out for myself...

In case you have to put your hands in, you'll find useful docs here :

http://guzzitek.org/gb/cadres_gb.htm

HTH

Almost certainly normal Guzzi sound (clutch,gearbox etc), I was always under the impression that worn big ends got "vocal" at max torque rather than idle (unless the oil light comes on that is !!)If it was a car I'd would expect a big end knock to show up initially on a cold start with it going quiet when the oil pressure built up and for it to return when the oil was hot at max torque RPM ?

If a previous owner has allowed the oil light to come on whilst riding (low oil level,harsh acceleration etc) then they could be failing but they'd have to be really bad to drown out the other Guzzi sounds :D

It may be a bad idea (others will advise I'm sure)but I'd be tempted to warm the engine up then with the engine at idle put the bike in gear and with a brake applied use the clutch to slowly load up the motor, the idle speed will come down (reducing oil pressure) and the load on the bearings will go up, if the oil light comes on or the knock gets worse then you were right if it goes away or reduces we were :D .

just don't do it for long !!!

... I was always under the impression that worn big ends got "vocal" at max torque rather than idle ...

I once had a worn one in my 2l Citroen XM. It was still under load and at idle and frightening loud when the car was rolling without load. With strictly digital throttle I could make another 5000 km before the noise became really creepy. The engine had 300.000 km then.

Hubert

Steve,

without any of us hearing it you are gettting OPINIONS not advice. If you feel it is inside the engine, tear it down. Is there any MGNOC member or shop near you that can help you with your decision? joe Eish from Salineville,Oh. is a good dealer that could give you help. I don't know how fsr he is from you.

Steve,

without any of us hearing it you are gettting OPINIONS not advice. If you feel it is inside the engine, tear it down.....

I agree, that's probably the best you can do. Tear it down. Completely. Then, as long as you have all the parts and bits laying around or stuffed in cans and boxes, they at least won't wear further. That's good and common standard advice, at least here.

Alternatively you could just use the bike for what you've bought it: ride it. But that's only my opinion, of course.

Anyway, if you go to the internet, to a public and more or less anonymous forum and really seek for advice - then you'll get what you deserve: tear it down!

Hubert

I agree, that's probably the best you can do. Tear it down. Completely. Then, as long as you have all the parts and bits laying around or stuffed in cans and boxes, they at least won't wear further. That's good and common standard advice, at least here.

Alternatively you could just use the bike for what you've bought it: ride it. But that's only my opinion, of course.

Anyway, if you go to the internet, to a public and more or less anonymous forum and really seek for advice - then you'll get what you deserve: tear it down!

Hubert

I wouldn't get too excited about this until you have a chance to get the engine warmed up. To the unitiated, Guzzis make a lot of noise when cold. It takes a while for the (long) pushrods to warm up and close the gap, the dry clutch sounds strange until lyou get used to it.

Main bearings will sound like a thump on initial startup. Rod bearings normally rattle just as the engine is unloaded. From what you've said it doesn't sound like either.

Don't worry, be happy. :)

I wouldn't get too excited about this until you have a chance to get the engine warmed up. To the unitiated, Guzzis make a lot of noise when cold. It takes a while for the (long) pushrods to warm up and close the gap, the dry clutch sounds strange until lyou get used to it.

Main bearings will sound like a thump on initial startup. Rod bearings normally rattle just as the engine is unloaded. From what you've said it doesn't sound like either.

Don't worry, be happy. :)

Well, I'm happy to report that - as most of you have surmised - I think I was pretty much full of crap re: my diagnosis. I've been adequately wigged out about this that I left work early today (it was actually a spring-like day here in upstate NY), got the baby out of the garage, started her up and let it get warmed up. Sure enough, outside the echo chamber (corner of my garage), the noise wasn't nearly as offensive. And, as Greg suggested - pull in the clutch, and the knocking went away - or at least was transformed into some other batch of interesting noises which I'm gathering are "normal".

Then I went out and romped around for a while on it. What a delight. It was great to run it around - what a wonderful mix of v-twin loveliness and modern chassis and braking. Anyway, after that I spent a little more time critically listening. I guess the noise really is just the gearbox after all. There's nothing else to suggest it's anything but - no noise under load, no other signs of anything aberrant. I've rarely been so happy to be so wrong. I came in and celebrated with a quick 4 beers.

I will say, this bike does sound different than my old SP1000. That doesn't make the same noises which I guess was what started me flipping out.

Anyway, I do appreciate all the inputs and apologize for what appears to be wasted bandwidth. It certainly wasn't to me. You guys just have to understand, this is my dream bike - and I just want it to be perfect.

But for now, I think all is right with the world...

Steve

Well, I'm happy to report that - as most of you have surmised - I think I was pretty much full of crap re: my diagnosis. I've been adequately wigged out about this that I left work early today (it was actually a spring-like day here in upstate NY), got the baby out of the garage, started her up and let it get warmed up. Sure enough, outside the echo chamber (corner of my garage), the noise wasn't nearly as offensive. And, as Greg suggested - pull in the clutch, and the knocking went away - or at least was transformed into some other batch of interesting noises which I'm gathering are "normal".

Then I went out and romped around for a while on it. What a delight. It was great to run it around - what a wonderful mix of v-twin loveliness and modern chassis and braking. Anyway, after that I spent a little more time critically listening. I guess the noise really is just the gearbox after all. There's nothing else to suggest it's anything but - no noise under load, no other signs of anything aberrant. I've rarely been so happy to be so wrong. I came in and celebrated with a quick 4 beers.

I will say, this bike does sound different than my old SP1000. That doesn't make the same noises which I guess was what started me flipping out.

Anyway, I do appreciate all the inputs and apologize for what appears to be wasted bandwidth. It certainly wasn't to me. You guys just have to understand, this is my dream bike - and I just want it to be perfect.

But for now, I think all is right with the world...

Steve

:D:D

Hey Steve, I've spent alot of years on ONLY various configurations of air cooled twins. Bought mine site unseen, and didn't flinch when I first heard it start up. My much younger brother has ONLY spent saddletime on Honda sportbikes and 2 stroke dirt bikes. When HE first HEARD my bike, he went, :o:( (and, he HATES the SINGLE, HUGE Headlight, but is FREAKED that "it's not 30 years old, Dude!!!!") :lol:

P.S. Innt' this site just the cat's ass? After you've read through alot of great advice, some pretty hilarious/dumbass old threads, continued to seek help on future questions, and generally puruse the whole enchilada, don't forget to buy Jaap a couple of Internet Beers at the box on the homepage! :notworthy::mg::wub: , Later, S.H.

That is why we wear ear plugs,full face helmets and muse of Steppenwolf,George Thorogood,Ted Nugent,BonJovi,etc...while we are going oblique to the Zeitgeist.

p.s. you never waste when you learn and you are never a fool to your friends.