20 miles in first gear.

scottybee

It looks like you've already removed the acorn nut and lock nut on the adjuster. It's the shaft with the slotted end next to the shifter shaft. If you moved the slotted shaft you'll have to adjust it when you get the bike back together. You can search past threads on this to find out what the adjuster does and how to set it. I remember forum member Ouiji Veck posting about his adventures with the adjuster. Search his name and "adjuster" and see if anything helpful turns up.

The shifter plate will come off once you've removed all of the M6 screws around the perimeter of the casting. Mine was pretty stubborn the first time I removed it. I found a spot toward the bottom rear of the trans where the shifter plate doesn't exactly match the shape of trans housing. It provided a surface that was large enough to catch with a wooden dowel from the other side of the bike. I put the dowel on there, gave it a tap with a hammer and the plate popped free.

Thanks Tom, Yes I did remove that acorn nut and the locking nut behind it. Hopefully then I haven't moved the adjuster.

Just looking at the cover I thought I needed to remove all those fastener's as it doesn't look like it would slide over them. So I'm guessing these things pull out with the cover.

I read the post's on FAQ about repairing or replacing the spring. But they all started after the cover was removed.

I'll put those adjuster nuts back on before I take the cover off and hope it hasn't moved.

Well I'm finally getting around to trying to repair this thing, and I'm stumped already. I've taken the statrer off and have all the allen head bolts out. But the two 13mm nuts right in the center of the cover are turning the bolt or stud and not coming loose. I can't see anyway to hold those bolts to get the nuts off.

How do I get this thing off to see what's going on inside?NewPics015.jpg

I'm talking about the two nuts in the center of the pic

Thanks

the cover is stuck on because of the sealant . Tap on it with a soft face hammer and use a scraper to seperate the cover from the case. DO NOT touch these nuts or studs you are looking at.

• 2 weeks later...

Bonnie at (405)524 7223

- Request a "Moto Guzzi shifter spring." Cost is $12.50USD

Does anyone know if this is still a good source for new springs? Any other source's?

What should be used to reseal the plate to case?

Bonnie at (405)524 7223

- Request a "Moto Guzzi shifter spring." Cost is $12.50USD

Does anyone know if this is still a good source for new springs? Any other source's?

What should be used to reseal the plate to case?

The last spring that broke on my bike was a Racecraft spring. I'd recommend the "improved" Guzzi spring as seen here:

http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=139

I've changed the spring twice now and I haven't used sealant on the cases either time since the factory didn't use any. No leaks yet :)

The last spring that broke on my bike was a Racecraft spring. I'd recommend the "improved" Guzzi spring as seen here:

http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=139

I've changed the spring twice now and I haven't used sealant on the cases either time since the factory didn't use any. No leaks yet :)

Tom

Thanks for the quick reply. I will order 2 of them asap.

Mine sure seemed to have some type of sealent on it ( black stuff ) I had a hard time getting it loose. But inside looks good, no metal shavings.

• 2 months later...
Hi Scotty,

seems like the sprawl gremlin has hit you. As far as I know this is the first 2003 model that has had a tranny problem; all others have been 2002 models like mine :bbblll:

fear not though; it fixable either by your own hand if you got your thumbs mounted the right way. Otherwise it's a 1/2 day job for a trained mechanic. I drove something like 80 miles in 4th gear including a stop at a toll booth but I managed to get back home in one piece.

Good luck with your bike - when it's fixed it's history :rolleyes:

All the best

Søren

Hmmmm, me and my big mouth: Guess who drove 5 miles in first gear (40 mph, 6.000 rpm) today on my way back from work?

Yup, been jinxed by the sprawl troll once again. §"#€#&/(§!?='@!!!!!!

Look for "broken sprawl up for grabs" in the classified.

AAAAAAAAAAARGHHHH! :angry2::moon::huh2::homer:

Ride safe those of you who can. I'll take my Ford Focus the next couple of days....

Søren