my new block paint

Steve W

At the risk of asking a question that has been asked before, is there a particular Harley paint to get, a part number maybe? Or is there basically one Harley engine paint so you can't go wrong?

You want their Texture Black, not the Crinkle Black. Harley part # is 98606BF.

I found a black textured spray paint at WalMart for like $6

I resprayed my rear drive with it & its pretty much a dead match for the original paint.

I'll have to look for that. But with that said, given the reports of good results on this forum with the ridiculously priced Harley paint, I figured I'd suck it up and go with the known entity. No regrets - if you put any value on your labor for the prep and painting, and look at the cost of the bike - the cost of the paint is pretty inconsequential - whether it's $21, or $6, or free, for that matter. I remain very pleased with the outcome on my bike. To me - it was like a wart on the nose of a supermodel - the overall package may be good, but your attention keeps being drawn to the wart. I'm really glad my bikes wart is gone...

• Haha 1

Being new to this board and Guzzi thing. I need to know something before I put my foot in my mouth. But are these LeMans considered a good looking Guzzi?

The nice thing now is that it doesn't draw your attention to it anymore. I shined a halogen light on it for that picture to make some contrast show up - when you're not looking real critically at it, it appears reasonably uniform. Can't really tell from this picture, but it's good enough now where I don't feel the need to fiddle with that any more.

guzzi-1.jpg

Just did a quick Google to see if I could find a cheaper source than the $21+/can of the Harley texture paint, & got no joy.

However, I did come across PJ1 Hi-temp Wrinkle Black engine paint at about $10/can and found one image of what it turns out like:

wrinkle1089075273.jpg

It's the valve cover, posted w/ the info that he used 2 medium coats & baked it in his oven at 200F to get the wrinkle to develop nicely. Obviously, the latter half of the recipe is not doable for an in-frame case painting, but the judicious application of some radiant space heaters might turn the trick. Don't know how close a match this is to the real thing tho'; seems like the Harley paint may be worth the extra dosh just to get a good match, but if I was doing a total strip down rebuild of an engine, then the PJ1 might win out for doing the complete job.

I'm just glad I've got an '03, so this is primarily an academic exercise for me... :)

I'll make the possible mistake of answering this unanswerable question:

It is the best looking Guzzi, bar none. In fact, in my humble opinion, I think it is one of the most beautiful mechanical pieces of art ever produced, period. I like to call them "kinetic sculptures". :notworthy::mg::wub: Now, let the flaming of the Philistines begin!!!

Being new to this board and Guzzi thing. I need to know something before I put my foot in my mouth. But are these LeMans considered a good looking Guzzi?

That obviously depends on who's doing the considerin'. Do you need help making up your mind?

Since you included a pic of a red/gray LeMans, is it that color combo that you're questioning?

Well, there's really nothing to consider. The red/grey LeMans is the best looking Guzzi. In fact, it's the best looking motorcycle. Ever. Anybody who thinks otherwise is simply incorrect. :D

Call me incorrect, the lime green/red frame is the most outrageous and beautiful .

The Coppa Italia w/the fairing painted to match ( the one as a candidate for bike of the year) looked VERY good too.

Call me incorrect, the lime green/red frame is the most outrageous and beautiful .

The Coppa Italia w/the fairing painted to match ( the one as a candidate for bike of the year) looked VERY good too.

To embellish on my post just above:

I was refering to the entire V11 Sport/LeMans line. The green/Red frame is the one that "dragged me in". The Nero is the one that sealed the deal...Flyboy, your picture is a very sharp looking version, but color scheme can be a determining factor. To me, the Coppa looks a little like an explosion at an Italian paint mixing facility, and the Tenni....well, lets just not go there! :lol:

Guzzi has so many different styles and types of bikes now and in the past. Eldorado and Lemans 1 come to mind. They seem to be regarded as very well styled bikes liked by all. I just wonder if the newer ones are an acquired taste and do most Guzzi riders consider them beautiful bikes.

Guzzi has so many different styles and types of bikes now and in the past. Eldorado and Lemans 1 come to mind. They seem to be regarded as very well styled bikes liked by all. I just wonder if the newer ones are an acquired taste and do most Guzzi riders consider them beautiful bikes.

I've got a couple of older Guzzi's - I never really considered them as beautiful, I just thought they looked pretty cool and distinctive mostly due to the engine. And I have to say, I've never been really jazzed about the loop frame bikes - Tonti frame, yes... But, that said - I really do think think the V11's are for the most part gorgeous.

Particularly the '02 red/gray LeMans!!! (the color scheme is what prompted me to buy one...) :D

You would be a little biased then.....lol

I've got a couple of older Guzzi's - I never really considered them as beautiful, I just thought they looked pretty cool and distinctive mostly due to the engine. And I have to say, I've never been really jazzed about the loop frame bikes - Tonti frame, yes... But, that said - I really do think think the V11's are for the most part gorgeous.

Particularly the '02 red/gray LeMans!!! (the color scheme is what prompted me to buy one...) :D

I used Rustoleum texture paint back in 2002 and it it still looks good. This was covered in a thread way back when, but a search didn't turn it up. :huh: I was unhappy with the Hardley Ableson paint that I purchased so I sought other alternatives. Could it be the $6 Walmart paint, perhaps... The price was fairly cheap. The texture was a "little" different than orginal, but it took a close examination to tell. It has held up excellantly under riding conditions so far, 7 years later it still looks good and far better than the shit Guzzi used. :lol: To remove the ex Guzzi paint - Carb Cleaner, yes the spray can nasty stuff, the orginal paint wipes right off with a rag. Plan on using several rags and tossing them though.