Top Chop

biesel

Smaller drivers sometimes have problems with noisy air turbulences which are caused by larger windscreens.

I bought a used windscreen and made some experiments:

scheibe1.jpg

scheibe2.jpg

scheibe3.jpg

scheibe4.jpg

It helped a bit but really looks ... "different" - what do you think?

But I have to admit that my new BMW "Sportintegral" helmet and the DÄS handebars also helped. ^_^

Looks kinda like you tried to make your LeMans into a japper crotch rocket, but like the man said, whatever works for you: looks are secondary to function! :thumbsup:

Looks fine IMHO.

In fact I have a tall windscreen on my Scura (can't remember the name but I bought it from a dealer in Flensborg, Germany) which creates a lot of noise. I have had plans chopping my screen to a more suitable height so that I will do :-)

Just returned from Superbike and Supersport races in Assen, The Netherlands, and I was partially deaf the following day despite using ear plugs.

How tall are you, Jan? I'm 191cm (6"3').

Cheers

Søren

Just returned from Superbike and Supersport races in Assen, The Netherlands, and I was partially deaf the following day despite using ear plugs.

Cheers

Søren

Some racing that was. Were you in postition to see the last lap pass Spies did to take the checker? Quite a battle at the end.

Hej Søren,

jeg er ... *sorry* ^_^ I am 172 cm "tall".

I also mounted the MRA touring screen => makes a lot of noise & looks fugly!

A friend of mine, 202cm tall, also tried the MRA touring screen and even he had problem with noise.

MRA also delivers originally-shaped sreens.

For a little extra charge they are also willing to make shorter screens.

Looks fine IMHO.

In fact I have a tall windscreen on my Scura which creates a lot of noise. I have had plans chopping my screen to a more suitable height so that I will do :-)

Rather than chopping the windscreen, either get/make a laminar lip for it, or put in some venting holes at the base of the screen to bleed high pressure air in from in front into the low pressure area behind that leads to all the flutter that's creating the noise.

Just a thought...

:luigi:

Some racing that was. Were you in postition to see the last lap pass Spies did to take the checker? Quite a battle at the end.

Hi Dan,

yup, you bet! Sat at the head stand watching every move on the track on the huge wide screen when they were giving it all around the circuit. Those chaps have MAJOR cojones; nothing less. Haga tried to sway Spies off track down the straight after the finish line but Ben played cool. He has absolutely no respect for ol' Nitro Nori so there's no free ride for Haga. I've always loved Haga for his insane riding style but Ben Spies is a world class rider - nothing less.

Pity about Hopper who broke his femur and dislocated his pelvis. Looked nasty on the screen and the ambulance just stayed way too long with Hopper lying flat on his back. Hope he's recovering soon.

The Supersport race was also exciting. Cal Crutchlow made a rubbish start despite having pole posiiton. Ended up 10th at the first corner but managed to finish a respectable 3rd. Laverty and Lascorz were jostling for the chequered flag but Laverty pipped victory a whisker ahead of Lascorz. Danish top rider Robbin Harms ended 9th after having spent most time in the pit during practice. New team means no available data so they are more or less starting from scratch.

BR

Søren

Rather than chopping the windscreen, either get/make a laminar lip for it, or put in some venting holes at the base of the screen to bleed high pressure air in from in front into the low pressure area behind that leads to all the flutter that's creating the noise.

Just a thought...

:luigi:

Hi Skeeve,

thought about that too but as Jan also states I'm not a big fan of too tall screen. Too much Gold Wing..... :D

BR

Søren

Hej Søren,

jeg er ... *sorry* ^_^ I am 172 cm "tall".

Oh, Frodo's brother?? :D:lol: Have fun in the Shire, Hobbit.... :rolleyes:

Sorry, Jan, couldn't resist.

Cheers

Søren

I like your chop job, Jan, and I think I'll do something similiar. Did you use a hacksaw or grinder or what?

Søren