Better mileage rear tire

tmcafe

This is my previous Metzeler Z6 after 14,250 km. Very good condition (for the mileage), not much squaring. After this picture was taken I rode it another 1,500 km and then I painted my wheels so I replaced the tyre. At that time it was still barely road legal but there was no point in fitting it to the wheel again. I'm amazed they last so long compared to how good they perform.

14250Z6.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Another tire I believe deserves consideration is the Avon Storm ST. I replaced Michelin Pilot Roads which lasted 8K mikes and gave me good handling as well. Thus far the Avons provide a little better ride and road feel while looking like I might 10K miles out of the rear. At 6K miles they are just begining to show some squaring.

Another tire I believe deserves consideration is the Avon Storm ST. I replaced Michelin Pilot Roads which lasted 8K mikes and gave me good handling as well. Thus far the Avons provide a little better ride and road feel while looking like I might 10K miles out of the rear. At 6K miles they are just begining to show some squaring.
Good to know, though I've heard mixed things about Avon. In the meantime I got a Diablo Strada from my local dealer. About $200 installed, taxes and all. Though the tread doesn't go all across the center, it does seem to reach further toward it then on the z6, so it should be easier to figure out when it's worn.

• 2 weeks later...

I am on my third set of dual compound Roadsmarts, and they have become my tire of choice over the Pilot Road 2. Better mileage than the z6 or ME880, and far better peformance. These scrub in quicker than the PR2, are just as good in the rain and twisty bits, and last easily over 10k. Best rain tire I have ever used.

The ONLY problems I have had with the PR2 is that they require several hundred miles of break in (not a huge deal .. just be aware), but more importantly, they suffer performance degradation in the latter half of their life. The Roadsmarts remain very consistent until the end of their life, and then they go very very quickly! Neither are particularly find of tar snakes (which are getting more prevalent on the roads I frequent). The Dunlops are easily $75 cheaper, each tire. Last two sets cost about $140 for the rear and $120 front, with free mount/balance. Used to do it myself, but as RH points out ... just not worth an afternoon of wrestling when the shop can do it in 10 minutes.

Next set will be the newer pilot roads with triple compound. Curious to see if they can eliminate that raised center ridge that dual compounds tend to get. The ridge can sometimes create a rather abrupt transition from straight up to lean.

YMMV