Fair price for a Lemans Nero Corsa

df2

Hi all, I've been strugling with some decisions on which new to me bike to buy and I've narrowed it down to 2 guzzi's and a possible ducati. One of the Guzzi's potentially being an 04 Nero Corsa (stock) with, for sake of argument 10k miles. If you were trying to entice an owner of said bike to sell it to you what would a fair offer be? And on the opposite end, what would a good deal be?

Thanks

David

PS. Owner is a meticulous guzzi owner having several models

I hate to be the first one to give a stupid answer. It would be ANY where between $5000 - $9000.

Do not buy these bikes expecting to resell or unload fast. You must decide what you want to pay for the satisfaction of owning this bike. These are very quirky and eccentric motorcycles you adapt to. As I stated in the past these motorcycles are for the left-handed. You will purchase this for what it "can be" not as much as what it is. If you do not have "grok" you might be disappointed.

The value of owning this will exceed the cost of owning it.

I hate to be the first one to give a stupid answer. It would be ANY where between $5000 - $9000.

Do not buy these bikes expecting to resell or unload fast. You must decide what you want to pay for the satisfaction of owning this bike. These are very quirky and eccentric motorcycles you adapt to. As I stated in the past these motorcycles are for the left-handed. You will purchase this for what it "can be" not as much as what it is. If you do not have "grok" you might be disappointed.

The value of owning this will exceed the cost of owning it.

It was a rather open ended question and I apologize for that and thank you for being the first to answer. Everything is worth what someone is willing to spend and I'm sure everyone on here feels their bike is worth a lot more to them than what it could sell for (the grin is hard to put a value on). I'm not looking to turn a profit, I'm looking for something I can enjoy and be a little more agresive/classic than my ST, but I do have a budget, so I want to get the best I can within that budget. I've asked about other bikes on other forums trying to get a feel for how much people love their guzzi's and ducati's.

By the way, I love the quirky and eccentric, it makes it fun, frustrating, and emotional; but that's why it's a motorcycle and that's why I ride. If I wanted rock solid (perifierals), smooth and quiet I'd get a honda, but then I might as well get another car (that's what I consider my dad's valkaryie to be). I also know that depending on the model I'll need to make adjustments to fit feel and looks etc. as I really like the cafe sport riding position and bikini/no fairing, but love the colors/look of the nero corsa, etc. I haven't yet decided on which and also know that I may have to buy something and make it what I want since I may not find the one I "want" for the price I'm willing to spend (or find it at all near me). My current bike serves me well and I can wait, well sort of...

I just missed out on a local v11 sport (green red frame) for 5,200 with under 9k to a site unseen ebayer. Not a mark on it. My wife even liked it, but when I got there, there was that red sold tag on it. :(

All that being said I have one worry, I see tons of v11's with very little miles, 00's 02's etc. with under 3k, 4k, miles and wonder are they used that little or is it the faulty odometer. It's not that I think a bike with 4k on it is in better shape than one with 20, heck that's barely broken in, and the 4k one may still need to sort out which may cost more. It's that some people can add a grand to the price because of the "low miles". Granted many people have multiple guzzi's or bikes and you can only ride one at a time.

By the way, I love the quirky and eccentric, it makes it fun, frustrating, and emotional; but that's why it's a motorcycle and that's why I ride. If I wanted rock solid (perifierals), smooth and quiet I'd get a honda, but then I might as well get another car (that's what I consider my dad's valkaryie to be). I also know that depending on the model I'll need to make adjustments to fit feel and looks etc. as I really like the cafe sport riding position and bikini/no fairing, but love the colors/look of the nero corsa, etc. I haven't yet decided on which and also know that I may have to buy something and make it what I want since I may not find the one I "want" for the price I'm willing to spend (or find it at all near me). My current bike serves me well and I can wait, well sort of...

Sounds like you are shopping for the right bike for your needs. Few come closer to quirky and eccentric than the Moto Guzzi. It also has an instant heirloom quality to it. The motor has more character than any modern bike I can think of. I don't know what Ducati you have in the mix. The typical modern Ducati is faster, lighter and handles better than the V11. Still, go for the V11, you won't regret it. As for price, that is a good question. Since there is a limited number of these out there the price should be fairly stable for a good example regardless of year. That said I don't know what that price is. I'd think you can narrow some from Gene's 5-9 estimate. Maybe more like 6-8 thousand. I know I wouldn't part with my 02 for less than 6. Maybe that means I'll have it forever. ;)

x

These are very quirky and eccentric motorcycles you adapt to. As I stated in the past these motorcycles are for the left-handed.

THANKS! I finally know what the attraction is for me, I"M A LEFTY!

If a Nero showed up near me for say 6500. I'd try to sell my car, dog and other motorcycle to get it.. that would be a good deal... If I owned one I would value it around 9,000. that's just me.

Hi df2, First off, welcome to the site. This is a great forum with help on ANYTHING you need, both for the varients of the v11, and Guzzis in general. Now, on to your question...

When I was searching for mine (2 years ago), I looked/studied these bikes for about two monthes before I started making offers. I asked here for opinions. I wanted a bike that would be truly special, and I had never bought a new or near new bike. My bike guy said "get the Ohlins if you can afford the bump in price, you will not be dissapointed." So I gave myself a $8000+/- budget and looked for any Ohlins model. Made an offer on a stock Cafe Sport with a small blemish on the rear seat cowl, at $7000, a bit less than asking price. It was a no go. But that owner told me about a Nero he'd saw online. It had 5,100 miles. When I saw it, the hook sunk deep. After talks were settled, I paid $2000 over my budget, including shipping and tax. My wife thought I was crazy to buy a bike I had never even rode and only saw pictures of. I had only read about these, never even sat on one till it arrived. I have never loved a bike as much as I love this bike, period. It is far from stock, as my signature describes. I have since seen several other Neros on the block, all stock, stated as "perfect condition", one with less than 500 miles "from a collectors stable", and one with under 5,000 miles. Both were asking over $10,000. I feel I got an outstanding deal when balanced against that "smile quotient". Two other guys saw mine, and now there's three just around my area, bloody place is just FILTHY with Neros!

On the other side, there was a member here who had a VERY nice one, loaded with goodies, in the $7500 area if memory serves me correctly. I couldn't believe it didn't jump out of his possesion, but it didn't. Go figure.

In the end it's what it's worth to you. But I believe any money saved in a deal will be outweighed by a great bike you didn't get. Life is short, and our time is both limited and irreplacable. Spend it on a bike like the Nero and you will not be dissapointed...Good luck in your search, S.H. :notworthy::mg::wub:money_shot.jpg

A DISCLAIMER: I started the "Nero Registry", I don't much care for red, and it's pretty obvious that I have a slight bias. I suppose a Rosso would be O.K., if you HAD to. :grin:

Figure out what the going rate is for a regular v11 LeMans in similar condition, then add on the cost of all the Ohlin's boingy bits. The silly paint job you can add or subtract for as you wish [but the seller is probably going to expect a premium for it.]

There, now you've got your price! ;)

SH, NICE! tell about the Breva cam please.

My bike is basically the "Nuovo Thunder" bike featured in their Fast by Ferracci customs section, but no outward signs of upgrades except the slip ons. The 1100 Breva cam was also added to make the bike more torquey in the midrange section of the powerband compared to the stock v11 cam. It doesn't seem to have hurt the top end either. A couple of monthes ago, I had the speedo needle bouncing off that pin at the end of those numbers...and it was still pulling real good when I shut it down...I hear around here that GPS readings put that in the 130-135 range...Man, I LOVE this bike! :notworthy::mg::wub:

The silly paint job you can add or subtract for as you wish [but the seller is probably going to expect a premium for it.]

Skeeve, I take exception with that comment, Sir. Damn near caused me to propel cheap red wine out of my nose...It's NOT a "silly paint job"...It's a BLACK paint job, with SILLY STICKERS!!!... <_ ...why i oughta...>

It was a rather open ended question and I apologize for that and thank you for being the first to answer. Everything is worth what someone is willing to spend and I'm sure everyone on here feels their bike is worth a lot more to them than what it could sell for (the grin is hard to put a value on). I'm not looking to turn a profit, I'm looking for something I can enjoy and be a little more agresive/classic than my ST, but I do have a budget, so I want to get the best I can within that budget. I've asked about other bikes on other forums trying to get a feel for how much people love their guzzi's and ducati's.

I just missed out on a local v11 sport (green red frame) for 5,200 with under 9k to a site unseen ebayer. Not a mark on it. My wife even liked it, but when I got there, there was that red sold tag on it. :(

All that being said I have one worry, I see tons of v11's with very little miles, 00's 02's etc. with under 3k, 4k, miles and wonder are they used that little or is it the faulty odometer. It's not that I think a bike with 4k on it is in better shape than one with 20, heck that's barely broken in, and the 4k one may still need to sort out which may cost more. It's that some people can add a grand to the price because of the "low miles". Granted many people have multiple guzzi's or bikes and you can only ride one at a time.

Hi - FWIW, I bought my 2000 with 3K on it nearly 2 years (Still has

Bob

Thanks guys!

Yeah as far as budget I'm right there in the middle. I can almost imagine my wife thinking me crazy when there are all these japanese bikes out there going for next to nothing, but she understands I want something that seems to mean someting, part of a culture, that has a bit of a history (either for itself or by lineage), but that doesn't mean I can spend what I want.

Things sometimes don't work like they should, I accept that, but I'd prefer to have them working when I get the bike. Man, you'd be scared to fly if you knew all the things that don't work on an airplane that are accepted as normal.

SH, that's a nice bike, and I too am not very fond of the red, man and every bike out there for sale is red... black or dark grey cause it seems more vintage, probably because we think of vintage as black and white despite the fact that the world was in as much color then as now. Funny, red's my favorite color and my current bike is red. I really do like almost all the other colors, I even like the coppa italia, anyone not realize what they have and want to part with one ;)

Anyway, How did you buy your bike? Did you have it shipped site unseen? I'm so not sure I could pull the trigger on a deal like that unless the seller was very helpful in the process and that seller was well know by say long time members in this forum who could vouch for them.

Ponti, I love the all silver, I also really like the old engine color.

My only thing on the newer models are the gold forks, not my fav but not something that I couldn't get past.

Truthfully I would probably not tell the difference between the ohlins and the prior suspension, guys go on and on about tires, fork braces, shocks, dampers and all these mods to improve upon stock. Was the same with my connie and the members of COG. Always upgrading, farkles gallor, and I bought into some of it, but for me I never could tell any difference. Then there was the dreaded "buzz", had the bike apart so many times carb syncing, balance shaft adjustments, bar end weights, lead shot, checking engine mounts, etc. never any change. Honestly, it never really bothered me, I just took it as part of being a bike with the engine as a stressed member, but it was something that "had to be" fixed. Now I just ride and enjoy and have stoped chasing the perfect motorcycle. When I pull it apart now, it's just to make sure she's in top shape, and really, with 2 kids, I'll probably have the new one done at the guzzi dealer up the road. That way I spend more time riding. what I really want is that grin from the time I open the garage door and see her till the time I bring her back and drift off to sleep at night.

How did you buy your bike? Did you have it shipped site unseen? I'm so not sure I could pull the trigger on a deal like that unless the seller was very helpful in the process and that seller was well know by say long time members in this forum who could vouch for them.

I did buy my bike sight unseen but trusted the seller who I knew indirectly. Really good pic's helps. Also, I do not believe it is unreasonable to ask the owner to bring to a bike shop/dealer....not necessarily Guzzi. For a nominal fee, many will tell you things like.....sounds ok, he didn't push it in, looks well kept, etc.

Finally, I like the silver engines too.....everyone says the Ohlins are far superior.....I am however, not a good enough rider to notice the difference.

Best of luck.......hope you end up with her!

Bob

SH, that's a nice bike, and I too am not very fond of the red, man and every bike out there for sale is red... black or dark grey cause it seems more vintage, probably because we think of vintage as black and white despite the fact that the world was in as much color then as now. Funny, red's my favorite color and my current bike is red. I really do like almost all the other colors, I even like the coppa italia, anyone not realize what they have and want to part with one ;)

Anyway, How did you buy your bike? Did you have it shipped site unseen? I'm so not sure I could pull the trigger on a deal like that unless the seller was very helpful in the process and that seller was well know by say long time members in this forum who could vouch for them.

My only thing on the newer models are the gold forks, not my fav but not something that I couldn't get past.

Truthfully I would probably not tell the difference between the ohlins and the prior suspension, guys go on and on about tires, fork braces, shocks, dampers and all these mods to improve upon stock....what I really want is that grin from the time I open the garage door and see her till the time I bring her back and drift off to sleep at night.

I bought mine from Fast by Ferracci, over the internet, saw pictures only. I felt I had a level of protection since they are a dealer, well known, and legally have responsibilities above and beyond what a private seller would have. I had it delivered directly to my highly trusted m/c shop, and the shop owner and myself were there to inspect it on arrival. And the final thing I told the salesman was if it was not "as described" and acceptable to me, I would not even have the shipper unload it and would send it right back. I also used a credit card with buyers protection so I could stop all charges incurred to that point if I was not happy. Yes, it cost a bit more than I originally was prepared to pay. But I had just lost three friends, all too young, and wasn't going to "wait for the right time" anymore.

The Ohlins do jack the price, and by your comments on not really noticing any major advantages in all the upgrades that can and do get done ( I thought I wouldn't either, but I do now!), I think this signifigantly makes your choices much easier. It puts you in a whole different pricing ballpark. I have seen alot of the non Ohlins models with alot of real world upgrades (tank/tail/side bags, custom seats, big bucks exhaust upgrades, problematic issues already worked out, etc...) go in the $5-6000 range. One of the moderators here had a real sweet bike, tons of work and new paint just done, with extra body parts, in that range, which I would have jumped on if I were in the market at that time. Just eBaying those extra parts would have cut down on the intial price considerably. Check out the silver one with Magni fairing and bags on eBay right now, looks real nice and following that sale will again give you an idea of the prevailing market. Just keep looking and you will find the one you want. Yes, I did say , in a manner of speaking, that money shouldn't prevail in your choice, but remember this too. If you don't buy "bike A", there will always be another on the block right behind the one you just considered. I'm a Dad, with a couple of young kids, a wife, a house that always wants my money, a car and truck to keep happy, you know how it goes. Family first, then as much fun as you can afford when the bills are paid! As always, have fun with the hunt, good luck! S.H.the_wall2.JPG