Delayed start

belfastguzzi

More hope of this being seen here than in the Carc forum.

Re Griso

When the ignition key is turned and [edit] the start button pushed, nothing at all happens for a few seconds. It can take 3, 4, 5 seconds or so before juice flows and the starter turns.

What might be causing this delay? May be only a few seconds, but in some circumstances it seems like an eternity.

More hope of this being seen here than in the Carc forum.

Re Griso

When the ignition key is turned, nothing at all happens for a few seconds. It can take 3, 4, 5 seconds or so before juice flows and the starter turns.

What might be causing this delay? May be only a few seconds, but in some circumstances it seems like an eternity.

Is your Griso still under warranty? Let the dealer fix it when he's done with your heads.

I had this happen on my V11. I eventually popped the starter fuse. No problems since I replaced the fuse. Doesn't make sense to me either :huh2:

Anyway, assuming the battery and starter connections are clean and tight, and the battery is good, I was told a sticky solenoid will cause this. If Griso uses the same starter as the V11 the solenoid can be replaced without replacing the whole starter. Here's a link to a US source: http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/ProductDe...Code=VAL%2DSOL3

I've seen posts about disassembling and cleaning the solenoid here too.

I just had what I think may be the same problem happen to my 02 Lemans. I was at the blessing of the bikes this weekend. My bike had been sitting most of the day. When I went to leave I pushed the starter but nothing happend. I then tryed to push start it (not fun) and then it worked. Is this a common problem and could it maybe the same as what you are talking about?

He's just turning the key, not pushing any buttons, at least not on his bike.

Knowing nothing about CARCed electricity I assume it's a fault in your network (for using a computer term here). I know of faulty resp. badly sealed connectors. Have you tried to disconnect the head unit and clean the connectors? WIth head unit I mean the dashboard with onboard computer and what ever more.

What if you have the kill switch off, turn the key on, wait let's say 20 seconds (more than the 'usual' delay) and then flip the killer on? Then does it also take 5 seconds or so until the system wakes up?

Hubert

I just had what I think may be the same problem happen to my 02 Lemans. I was at the blessing of the bikes this weekend. My bike had been sitting most of the day. When I went to leave I pushed the starter but nothing happend. I then tryed to push start it (not fun) and then it worked. Is this a common problem and could it maybe the same as what you are talking about?

Did you try the starter with the bike in neutral and the sidestand up? Is your starter fuse OK? If so did you get a click when you pushed the starter button? If you did it could be a sticky solenoid, a weak battery, or a bad connection between the battery and the starter. If not the most common cause that I've seen here is a bad connection where either the sidestand or clutch safety switches plug into the wiring harness. Another common problem is flaky stock relays. Lots of folks here swap out the stock relays for better quality aftermarket ones from one of the vendors below.

http://www.dpguzzi.com/relay.htm

http://www.motratech.com/MGR-C20.html

I don't even get a click and when the system seems to "wake up" it start up like it would with a strong battery. I will look into your suggestions and get back to you on what I find out. I’ll start with checking my connections for corrosion. This is a possibility because I ride in any weather. Water may have gotten into the connections. I’ll also look into the links on the relays. Thanks a lot for you help on this issue guys.

It's not those common things. It's always 'felt' like what Hubert calls a 'network' problem.

I don't think it's a mechanical type thing. Starter never clicks nor any other sign of feeble life. It's just - nothing. Then after a while of pushing the button, electric flows. In the original post, I should have said 'pushing button', not 'turning the key'.

The griso uses a different estup then the V11. First you have to let the bike do its little gizmo dance with the tach and the digital display and the lights (ooooohh, the pretty lights). On mine (a Griso 11) if you push the button while this is going on nothing will happen, the bike will ignore you. After the light show ends, you can push the the button (you don't have to hold it, it will work even if you just push and release) and the starter motor will run until the bikes catches or 4 or 5 seconds pass, whichever comes first. I assume the Griso 12 does the same thing. If yours is not doing this then the dealer will probably have to replace expensive parts as this is all controlled by the computer I believe.

Good luck.

Sticky solenoid?

No. It doesn't even try to click. Some other electrickery thing, rather than mechanical.

The griso uses a different estup then the V11. First you have to let the bike do its little gizmo dance with the tach and the digital display and the lights (ooooohh, the pretty lights). On mine (a Griso 11) if you push the button while this is going on nothing will happen, the bike will ignore you. After the light show ends, you can push the the button (you don't have to hold it, it will work even if you just push and release) and the starter motor will run until the bikes catches or 4 or 5 seconds pass, whichever comes first. I assume the Griso 12 does the same thing. If yours is not doing this then the dealer will probably have to replace expensive parts as this is all controlled by the computer I believe.

Good luck.

If it keeps happening, it will have to be a dealer call. This behaviour has been since the bike came out of dealers for the cam recall work. That's worrying, but might just be coincidence.

New map was uploaded to ECU at the time too.