ECU/battery question

Greybeard

Could you explain "reset"? Would the bike not start,did it run poorly,etc. ?

Some claimed it wouldn't run well if you disconnected the battery and didn't do the following; remove the fuze to the ECU, turn the ignition to "On", turn the throttle WFO a couple of times, shut off key and replace fuze. Supposedly instructs the ECU via TPS just where wide open is.

Might just be touching wood or tossing salt but I did it and never had a problem.

Motronics. Go figure. ;)

With the ECU fuse removed it would not get inputs from the sensors to understand zero or wide open.

I know some Volvo automobiles lose ALL info in the ECU if the car loses power or battery is disconnected.It has to go back to dealership to be reprogrammed.

if this procedure worked for you, do it!

With the ECU fuse removed it would not get inputs from the sensors to understand zero or wide open.

I know some Volvo automobiles lose ALL info in the ECU if the car loses power or battery is disconnected.It has to go back to dealership to be reprogrammed.

if this procedure worked for you, do it!

Hey, what can I say?

I'm not the author of this procedure, I'm just passing on information and asking if there's any equivalent mumbo-jumbo that applies to MG V11's.

Search on "reset" in the R1150R site and tell them they're FOS.

I'm just trying to find all the hidden, DaVinci secret handshakes that keep these things running.

So...can I simply disconnect and reconnect my battery without fear of waterboarding the ECU?

Hey, what can I say?

I'm not the author of this procedure, I'm just passing on information and asking if there's any equivalent mumbo-jumbo that applies to MG V11's.

I'm just trying to find all the hidden, DaVinci secret handshakes that keep these things running.

So...can I simply disconnect and reconnect my battery without fear of waterboarding the ECU?

No problem with disconnecting power to the early type ECU but I'm not sure about the later bikes with a Lambda probe, I think at worst it would have to re-learn your riding style but i'm pretty sure they only have a lambda because they have a catalytic convertor ?

Hey, what can I say?

The "map" that is installed or downloaded is a strategy that cannot be forgotten on this ICU,ECU,computer or whatever you want to call it. This is my educated opinion. There are other mechanics that will agree you will not harm this unit by disconnecting the 12v power supply from it.

You can cause harm from a voltage spike by disconnecting and reconnecting(1 in 1,000,000 chance) the battery or ESD (electro static discharge) from static electricity by touching the internals components of the processor.

p.s. I am not going to argue with ANYONE about what is done on any website.

What BMW did you have? What symptoms did you experience after disconnecting the battery? What did you do to "reset" the computer?

What BMW did you have? What symptoms did you experience after disconnecting the battery? What did you do to "reset" the computer?

I had a 'o4 R1150R.

I experienced total freakin' darkness.

Re-read post #3

I didn't have any problem and to this day I'll assume because when I first bought the BMW I went on the forum and read all the hub-bub about a procedure to follow when disconnecting and reconnecting the battery to avoid or alleviate some problem with the ECU or TPS..

The ritual cost nothing and consumed precious little time to peform, so I did it.

For all I know, every R1150R owner on the planet was pee'in themselves knowing that I was out there yanking fuzes and such. I like a good joke too so I couldn't care less.

I merely wanted to know IF the MG cogniscenti had a similar procedure, valid or not.

IF NOT then let's just move along. ;)

The V11's have no such issues. The newer bikes, Griso's and Breva's, have a code that you need to enter in certain situations and other electronic settings that sometimes need to be re-set. And typically on any modern emissions certified O2 equipped vehicle if you disconnect the battery that sets the ECU back to factory baseline settings (i.e. clears any adjustments to the fuel curve that may have been made based on info from the O2 sensor.

Sorry but I gotta ask, did you do the throttle stuff while the fuse was out? How did the ECU even know what you were doing if it had no power. Just trying to understand.

Sorry but I gotta ask, did you do the throttle stuff while the fuse was out? How did the ECU even know what you were doing if it had no power. Just trying to understand.

No, I misspoke if I described it in that manner.

As pulled from the pages of the R1150R forum;

"by NoRRmad on Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:15 pm

...Disconnecting the battery discharges the settings in the Motronic computer. They will recover over time as the computer "learns" the throttle settings. To reset the computer immediately, pull fuse number 5, reinsert it, switch the bike on, but do not start it, roll the throttle to full-on twice, then engage the "fast idle" lever, and start it up."

I've opted for Paul's method anyway.

Grappa per tutti!! :D