Those springs keep on breaking

belfastguzzi

I've just had yet another message from my Spring Repair web page (over 2,800 views now).

Those springs just keep on breaking, snap, snap, snap

15twospring.jpg

Replaced mine on Monday, it was still ok but as I had a new one I thought it was better to do it now !!

I'm glad I did it as the boss was 16mm and the old spring had a greater range of motion than the new, I filed the boss down to 15mm and fitted the new spring.

Where is the best place to get new springs? I read the FAQ. Is Hank Blackstock still making heavy duty springs?

I really don't like the idea of having to do this repeatedly.

Also what type of sealent do you put on the cover when reinstalling it?

Also what type of sealent do you put on the cover when reinstalling it?

Any good quality automotive gasket replacement sealant will be fine, but I personally use Loctite ® RTV Silicone 587™

Loctite ® RTV Silicone 587™ forms tough, flexible gaskets directly on the flange. Sensor-safe, low odor, and non-corrosive. Excellent oil resistance and joint movement values. Resists shrinking, cracking, and migrating. Eight times more flexible than cork/composite gaskets; three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones. Temperature range -75 °F to 500 °F intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids.

If you have an updated spring w/ 17mm diameter, are you still better off taking the boss down to 15mm - or can you safely leave it be?

My understanding is that either way you'll end up with ~1mm free play between the spring and boss.

Perhaps someone with more experience with these things can qualify that.