Starter button, or clutch/sidestand switch?

tmcafe

No response from the starter button today, so I suspected the old stuff (it's happened about twice in a year and half since I've had the bike). Micha at Moto I. told me how to go around this and it has worked before: clutch in of course, you hold the start button pressed down with the kill switch on, then toggle the kill switch back off. This time it didn't work and I tried it several times. Eventually it started, though it took a number of tries.

So what's wrong? Should I suspect the starter button, or should I replace the clutch or sidestand switch (forgot which one is to blame--but I got a backup replacement already).

Thanks!

Guest ratchethack

Have you checked the bullet connectors to the clutch switch? They're zip-tied up against the front left-hand side of the spine frame under the tank. They're notorious for the intermittent start symptoms you describe. It plagued both me and my Pal with his '04 LM before we fixed it. In both cases, the permanent solution was to cycle the connectors a few times to brighten up the contacts, fill with dielectric grease, and LIGHTLY crimp.

Hope this helps. :helmet:

Nice to meet you again.You must be careful with the bullet connectors.They're zip-tied up against the front left-hand side of the spine frame under the tank. They're notorious for the intermittent start symptoms you describe. It plagued both me and my Pal with his '04 LM before we fixed it. In both cases, the permanent solution was to cycle the connectors a few times to brighten up the contacts, fill with dielectric grease, and LIGHTLY crimp.Thank you.

Edited by jimbemotumbo
prohibited ads

Have you checked the bullet connectors to the clutch switch? They're zip-tied up against the front left-hand side of the spine frame under the tank. They're notorious for the intermittent start symptoms you describe. It plagued both me and my Pal with his '04 LM before we fixed it. In both cases, the permanent solution was to cycle the connectors a few times to brighten up the contacts, fill with dielectric grease, and LIGHTLY crimp.

Hope this helps. :helmet:

Looks like it already did help when I needed it most. This evening loaded with some groceries in the store parking lot the effing thing wouldnt start no matter how many attempts toggling the kill switch. Fortunately the tank barely had more than a gal. left so it was easy to lift it from both rear and ft. Found what looked like your described connectors and barely wiggled them a bit and bike started right away. Will have to check more thoroughly though.

Thanks Ratch!!

Howdy,

I also had my niggles with no response from the starterswitch. If I kept pressing it the fuse would just blow so I have umpteen 20 amp fuses in my tool pouch just to be on the safe side.

What has worked for me is to leave the bike in 1st gear, roll it forward/backwards until the fuel pump starts to whizz and then hit the starter buttom. Works for me!

I'll turn my bike in for a full service very soon so I'll bare Ratchethacks tip in mind.

Thanks, Ratch and Ronaldo! ;)

BR

Søren

What has worked for me is to leave the bike in 1st gear, roll it forward/backwards until the fuel pump starts to whizz and then hit the starter buttom. Works for me!

BR

Søren

Thanks Søren. This really sounds strange, more like a witchcraft ritual. Seriously, even though I can t figure out why this trick would work, as the problem is electrical, I ll keep it in mind as another thing to try.

Guest ratchethack
Found what looked like your described connectors and barely wiggled them a bit and bike started right away. Will have to check more thoroughly though.

Looks like you found them, TMC. The "put it off until later", pre-fix ritual was rotating the front wheel by the bars from stop to stop while pushing the start button, which gave just enough movement of the clutch switch wires to make the connection in the connectors to allow a start. Strangely enough, this was a "reliable" starting technique, as posted by many here, including Yours Truly -- right up to the time when it would no longer work a-tall. :bbblll: