scratches in carbon parts

dark_bike

the exhausts on my Scura (which just went through its first set of rear wheel bearings at 16.5k miles :angry: ) have a few scratches. Any suggestions how to get rid of them? I wondered if I could just touch them up with clear varnish but that may not withstand the heat...

cheers

Tom

Why did the rear wheel bearings in your exhaust go out so soon?

He said his wheel bearings failed, not the muffler bearing! Pay attention...

;)

Hi Tom.

I f..... up my carbon fairing badly a couple of years ago and fixed it.

Any high quality aerosol box with a gloss finish clear coat (acrylic based) can be used, but there are some that gives you a UV-filter as well. I used on thats called Quick.

Use really fine sanding paper (wet) to prepare the piece, 600-1200. Look out for running paint (rather three coats than one thick), use fine paper to sand down between coats. Use rubbing compund to finish it off and make it shiny. Then any car wax.

It takes time to get a good finish but its very rewarding. And the paint will be very durable compared to stock.

Hi Tom.

I f..... up my carbon fairing badly a couple of years ago and fixed it.

Any high quality aerosol box with a gloss finish clear coat (acrylic based) can be used, but there are some that gives you a UV-filter as well. I used on thats called Quick.

Use really fine sanding paper (wet) to prepare the piece, 600-1200. Look out for running paint (rather three coats than one thick), use fine paper to sand down between coats. Use rubbing compund to finish it off and make it shiny. Then any car wax.

It takes time to get a good finish but its very rewarding. And the paint will be very durable compared to stock.

Thanks Martin,I'd probably make a test patch first somewhere in a little visible spot to see how it reacts to the heat..but it sounds like it's worth trying.

they don get really hot, do they? I doubt that my Mistrals are much over 50 degrees celsius after a run, and that wont be a problem for a clear coating.