Valve gaps - how much 'drag'? And crossover question, too&#33

Repeater

Guest ratchethack
. . .damn close accuracy.

More'n plenty good enough for the ol' ditch pump donk (or any other, for that matter). :thumbsup:

Are you a machinist?

I was heading that way 40 years ago after the Navy but sort of drifted away as it were, no pun.

Now I've a fairly complete home shop (strictly manual) and absolutely love making as much swarf as I can find time for but no, I don't make a living in the trade.

Wish I had the head for CNC as more reasonably priced equipment becomes available but programming skill just avoids me.

How about you folks, anyone machining enough to piss the wife off?

I can sort of drive a lathe and perform simple milling operations but that's about the size of it. Spindles, spacers, shims packing, that sort of stuff but I farm out real work to people who know what they're doing :D

Pete

I can sort of drive a lathe and perform simple milling operations but that's about the size of it. Spindles, spacers, shims packing, that sort of stuff but I farm out real work to people who know what they're doing :D

Pete

There's a few operations I won't tackle either, but I'm a fair hand at welding as well so if I screw it up I can just fry it back right! ;)

Arthritis and bad eyes are taking the rest away but since I'm just doing my own work I've got great customers :lol:

I do a little wood and metal work and have my own mill and lathe. The beauty of metal is when you cut too much, you can weld it back.

I'm ok at it, but it's a hobby. I'm not good enough to earn a living at it. I'm my own customer also, so I rarely complain.

I was a machinist and a CNC programmer many years ago. I didn't do much lathe work but I did lots of vertical mill work.

I'd love to have a little home shop but I wouldn't do enough work to justify the expense of the machinery. I am keeping an eye on craigslist for a small milling machine though. I'll sell my big old drill press if I find the right one.

It's very hard way to earn a living as a machinist nowadays in my neck of the woods. Shops are closing everywhere and a lot of very talented people can't find work in their trade. The machine and sheet metal shops that I work with are all struggling in this economy. I'm sure it's even worse in the upper midwest with the auto industry tanking :(