How Am I Hung?

Guest captain nemo

Guest captain nemo

Squidisti,

I finally finshed my 'paint mods' and, after putting things back together, took a reading of my 'sag' while the bike was hoisted with the back tire just breaking the surface. I then took a reading at the same spot on the back fender when the full weight of the bike was down - this is exactly one inch. My son took a reading for me as I then mounted the bike - another inch exactly. Then 'total sag' is two inches. Please tell me what you call my first measurement without being on the bike - what does that mean? Then I'd like to know what you call the second reading with me on the seat - and, what does that mean?

I think I remember someone saying total sag should be around an inch and a half, but, like I say, I like how the bike feels now. I weigh 170 lbs. and have very low clip ons, so all of my weight is right next to the tank. :grin:

The common concensus is that two inches is too much.

I would try 1.5 inches. After doing so, you may also be able reduce the compression damping a little as there will be less tendency to bottom out.

If 1.5 feels like an improvement try 1 inch and if that feels like too much, back it off to maybe 1.25, etc.

What are your damping settings?

Guest captain nemo

Yes, I'll get these settings probably tonight. What did you call these different aspects of sag? I've never bottomed out - not even close. Not sure what I will do. Probably keep things the way they are and watch. I'll get the settings for you.

What should we say, primary sag and secondary sag?

Regardless, david is right about 2" being on the high side. One inch would certainly be on the low side and may allow the suspension to 'top.' A bad thing while cornering on a rough road and the suspension runs out of 'reach.'

Just like Goldilocks we want it 'juuuust right.'

Guest Brian Robson

Sag is simply the spare upward movement of the shock, therefore one measurement only from full extension to when your arse is on the bike.

You say that the bike feels perfect and yet you wish to improive your settings.

How could you?

There are no perfect settings for any bike.

If your bike works for you with your lowered bars and you flatter on the tank it is hardly likely to be the same as a lighter weight rider on bumpier roads, with stickier tyres, going faster etc, etc, etc.

I think you should be congratulared for finding excellent settings and remind yourself that there are very few experts in this black art, especially me.