starts then dies

renato

about 2 weeks ago my 2003 v11 sport cut out while i was riding to work, turned the key off checked all fuses and tried again, bike started and rode off to work, while i was at work i changed out all fuses and let it idle for about 2 minutes and all was good, going home all good until about 100 yards from home the bike cuts out again, the next morning checked the spark with a spark tester and no spark, that same afternoon it started again for about a minute then she died again, relays? should i change them all out, if so what brand is better, i like my guzzi and i dont want to get rid of it, if anybody has any info please tell. thankx

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Relays are a good start.

I'm a fan of the OMROM from RYLAND. But many have had good results from the GEI from PYRODAN.

Relais are a good start because they're relatively cheap and easy to swap, even for the natural butcher or baker. On the other hand, they are so simple and undemanding that it's most unlikely for them to fail every now and then.

So, keep the actual relais and instead check the sockets resp. the contacting clamps. And get accustomed to the wiring diagramm. If the pump primes and the starter works and so on then why should it be the relais?

Be aware that such symptoms could be caused also by a bad phase sensor.

Hubert

Relays have caused the exact same symptoms on my wifes V11. I now carry spare relays whenever we go far from home. And the first time it happened my local dealer already new what was wrong before I finished describing what happened. It is a known fault. The stock relays fail. It is also true that some have had issues with the connectors that the relays plug into, so that is the next place I would look. But if you can be more specific about what happens when it doesn't start (does the fuel pump run, does the starter run, anything clicks?) we could be more specific about what to do.

Relays have caused the exact same symptoms on my wifes V11. I now carry spare relays whenever we go far from home. And the first time it happened my local dealer already new what was wrong before I finished describing what happened. It is a known fault. The stock relays fail. It is also true that some have had issues with the connectors that the relays plug into, so that is the next place I would look. But if you can be more specific about what happens when it doesn't start (does the fuel pump run, does the starter run, anything clicks?) we could be more specific about what to do.

i hear the fuel pump and i hear relays clicking, starter turns over, ive tried side stand up and messing with the shifter, any how the bike will be running fine at start up when it does start and after a minute or 3 it will just cut out, i checked for spark right after that and get none. thankx

Relais are a good start because they're relatively cheap and easy to swap, even for the natural butcher or baker. On the other hand, they are so simple and undemanding that it's most unlikely for them to fail every now and then.

So, keep the actual relais and instead check the sockets resp. the contacting clamps. And get accustomed to the wiring diagramm. If the pump primes and the starter works and so on then why should it be the relais?

Be aware that such symptoms could be caused also by a bad phase sensor.

Hubert

how do you tell its gone bad. thankx

how do you tell its gone bad. thankx

You could try measuring resistance, it should be 680 ohms +/- 10%. Chances are it'll look fine though, since your problem is intermittent. While at it, clean the contacts. Try wiggling the cable near the sensor when you have starting problems (or wiggle if you have motor running and see if it dies).

Check that the sensor body hasn't come loose from the engine block, it's seated at sub-millimeter distance from the phonic wheel inside.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the same problem, pump runs up etc but just dies and then starts again. I ended up pushing the connectors out of the back of the ECU relay base, solder all wires in the spade connectors and clean the spade connectors, gently prise open the little tag that holds the spade connector into the relay base before pushing them back in to the base. Good Luck

Had the same problem, pump runs up etc but just dies and then starts again. I ended up pushing the connectors out of the back of the ECU relay base, solder all wires in the spade connectors and clean the spade connectors, gently prise open the little tag that holds the spade connector into the relay base before pushing them back in to the base. Good Luck

gonna try cleaning them first, its got me scratching my head, i miss riding my baby