Fuel tank corrosion?

Mike Rother

I have a 2003 LeMans w/ 12K miles, basically stock and a daily driver :)

My question is this; I've been developing little white corrosive stalagmite looking formations popping out from around my fuel tank filler neck - any idea what is the cause? It also smells like some form of corrosion.

I've taken it apart the filler neck and it appears around the outside of rubber gasket between the filler cap frame and the tank. I'm also having problems getting it back together after R&R'ing the fuel door, each time it gets more and more difficult to reassemble link the corrosion is deforming the filler neck mount.

I can add pictures later if needed but a local mechanic believes it to be a form of aluminum corrosion of some sort...?

Please help.

V/r,

Mike

• 2 months later...

We have about 10% ethanol in our fuel in Hawaii.

I'm real close to sea level at 11 meters MSL and 200 meters from the ocean beach.

It's progressively becoming worse - would like to know about possible repairing or replacement options. Getting a new OEM tank seems like it might place me again into this predicament in the future.

Mike

We have about 10% ethanol in our fuel in Hawaii.

I'm real close to sea level at 11 meters MSL and 200 meters from the ocean beach.

It's progressively becoming worse - would like to know about possible repairing or replacement options. Getting a new OEM tank seems like it might place me again into this predicament in the future.

Mike

You fuel tank is plastic/composite. It is not corrosion of the tank. It could be deposits out of the fuel. It could be water corroding the aluminum of the filler cap assy., but aluminum usually does not corrode like that. Normally once a surface layer of corrosion forms on a aluminum part that layer prevents further corrosion.

Maybe you can disassemble and powder coat or anodize the aluminum parts.

Look on eBay for Oberon fuel caps. These are threaded on caps. Good looking units,I have one on my bike. I don't have to fiddle with unlocking the cap to refuel.