v11 Sport handlebar conversion

Banksia boi

I am considering buying the first model,V11 Sport but cannot ride with clip ons.

Has anyone converted one of these to normal bars?

LSL has a kit,but i think it is for later models with a black triple clamp.Can you use a triple clamp from a late model Cali?

Early model V11s have the clip ons mounted lower than later models.

Prompt response appreciated as i wouldnt wont a particular bike to slip away.

I've put normal bars on my Scura. The way I did it was to (1) remove clip-ons and top yoke (2) Drill the yoke, so as to be able to fit single-bolt handelbar risers (there are bosses cast into the bottom of the yoke where the holes need to be drilled) (3) re-fitted yoke (4) fitted a pair of 2.5 inch pull-back risers to drilled yoke (5) fitted Renthal ultra-low bars to risers. (6) fitted all switches etc. to bars (you need to drill a couple of small holes in the bars to accept the pegs that stop the switches rotating). It was all reasonably straightforward, though it took a few hours. All the cables, brake lines etc. were long enough with a bit of re-routing. It might be possible to drill the top yoke without removing it, but it's an expensive mistake if you ruin it, so I think I did the right thing removing it - that way you can make sure the holes are drilled in the right places and square to the yoke. Total cost was about £60, so cheap enough. Providing you are a reasonably competent at mechanic, you shouldn't have any problem. Having done it, I definitely prefer the more upright riding position, especially around tight country lanes. It's still quite a sporty position though - not cruiser style - and quite a long reach to the bars, though using pull back risers helps. I don't think you could go any higher than the ultra-lows without getting longer brake and clutch lines made up. Hope this helps - if you want I'll go out and take a photo, so you can see what it looks like. Cheers

I've put normal bars on my Scura. The way I did it was to (1) remove clip-ons and top yoke (2) Drill the yoke, so as to be able to fit single-bolt handelbar risers (there are bosses cast into the bottom of the yoke where the holes need to be drilled) (3) re-fitted yoke (4) fitted a pair of 2.5 inch pull-back risers to drilled yoke (5) fitted Renthal ultra-low bars to risers. (6) fitted all switches etc. to bars (you need to drill a couple of small holes in the bars to accept the pegs that stop the switches rotating). It was all reasonably straightforward, though it took a few hours. All the cables, brake lines etc. were long enough with a bit of re-routing. It might be possible to drill the top yoke without removing it, but it's an expensive mistake if you ruin it, so I think I did the right thing removing it - that way you can make sure the holes are drilled in the right places and square to the yoke. Total cost was about £60, so cheap enough. Providing you are a reasonably competent at mechanic, you shouldn't have any problem. Having done it, I definitely prefer the more upright riding position, especially around tight country lanes. It's still quite a sporty position though - not cruiser style - and quite a long reach to the bars, though using pull back risers helps. I don't think you could go any higher than the ultra-lows without getting longer brake and clutch lines made up. Hope this helps - if you want I'll go out and take a photo, so you can see what it looks like. Cheers

Pictures of this set up would be welcome.

I do have to say I felt just like the original poster , but only until I actually rode the bike. Now I don't feel the need to change it. But I would try your set up , because you never know until you try .....

Yup as you can see lots of folks have done this. In fact I just received my Rizoma bars monday and am working up the courage this weekend to pull the triple clamp and drill it out for the EV clamp I got off ebay (be aware the 02 EV on has 30MM clamp) The Rizoma bars are just under 29mm so I'll be modifying the clamp a smidge. Honestly the more challenging part for me will be removing and remounting the controls.

Pic as requested. I agree that the standard clip-ons are by no means radical, and are actually extremely comfortable at speeds over 60 mph or so. They are not so good at lower speeds though - too much weight on wrists. But the main reason I've changed to normal bars is that it makes it much easier to manhandle the bike (which is a big heavy lump) round hairpins, doing U-turns etc. I managed to drop the bike twice, both times at approximately 0 mph, simply because the standard clip-ons didn't allow me to get enough leverage to stop it falling in when the bike stalled half way through a U-turn (thanks to a duff relay). Hopefully the new bars (and new relays) will cure me of this nasty habit! SN850376.jpg

Pic as requested. I agree that the standard clip-ons are by no means radical, and are actually extremely comfortable at speeds over 60 mph or so. They are not so good at lower speeds though - too much weight on wrists. But the main reason I've changed to normal bars is that it makes it much easier to manhandle the bike (which is a big heavy lump) round hairpins, doing U-turns etc. I managed to drop the bike twice, both times at approximately 0 mph, simply because the standard clip-ons didn't allow me to get enough leverage to stop it falling in when the bike stalled half way through a U-turn (thanks to a duff relay). Hopefully the new bars (and new relays) will cure me of this nasty habit! SN850376.jpg

Boy that came out nice- thanks