"typical" v11 problems for 2003-mod. and onwards?

Scura R

Looking for a Cafe Sport(2003-2006?), and would like to know what kind of typical problems I should look for/ ask seller about. Can I forget about the pre-2003 problems, or do they still exist?

What kind of modifications are highly recomended?

Ketil

Looking for a Cafe Sport(2003-2006?), and would like to know what kind of typical problems I should look for/ ask seller about. Can I forget about the pre-2003 problems, or do they still exist?

What kind of modifications are highly recomended?

Ketil

Typical problems are Ojlins steering dampers that intermittently stiffen up. If yours stiffens up, throw it away, as it's really not needed anyway. Ohlins shock that begine leaking. Fix it when it happens. Same with fork seals. Might want to replace the relays. Typical upgrades are aftermarket exhausts and moving the fairing back so it looks better and swings with the bars.

I think Greg means the Bitubo steering dampers. Do not throw an Öhlins steering damper away. If you don't want it, send it to me and I will pay your expenses.

:D :D

Cafe SPorts come with an Ohlins damper. I've seen many Ohlins fail. They do not leak. They just suddenly stiffen up, but intermittently. It feels like you've got a front tire going flat. Then, it'll loosen up, and then stiffen up.

Are they not worth rebuilding? My Scura is starting to show symptoms at low speed.

I've a 2004 Ballabio--a great Guzzi for my needs and I love it.

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that the spedometers/odometers on the 2004 onwards V11s are prone to failure. So examine carefully low milage bikes--especially if you are not dealing with the orginal ower--as they may be on the second spedo and milage shown not accurate. I'd also advise checking the FAQ section of this forum. Lots of useful help there as to what to look for. 2004 V11s have very few "issues" but it is smart to educate yourself.

I use my Ballabio for touring and long day trips. The only real modifications I've made is to relocate the foot pegs and controls farther forward and a little bit lower to ease knee pain on high milage days. Hepco and Becker makes an exellent set of hard luggage for the bike, which I have. I added a center stand, but wouldn't bother again as it's not especially well designed and I rarely find a need for it. Aftermarket cans and a Power Commander with appropriate map brings out the sweet sound so unique to these bikes and might add a bit of go, not that most of us would notice.

Good luck in your search!

• 2 years later...

Just found this one that I started, but never finished. I forgot to say thanks for the tips, and that`s a bit rude! So thanks!

I found and bought my Scura R in May 2010. Picked it up in Stuttgart.

No riding during the winter, but I go x-country and alpine skiing, and I play some bandy(ice-skates)

Just found this one that I started, but never finished. I forgot to say thanks for the tips, and that`s a bit rude! So thanks!

I found and bought my Scura R in May 2010. Picked it up in Stuttgart.

No riding during the winter, but I go x-country and alpine skiing, and I play some bandy(ice-skates)

We will forgive you if you post pictures

Cheers

Roy :race: