helmet news

st. augustine

In one comprehensive study of real-world impact performance based on research done for Motorcyclist Magazine, presented by Mr. Thom to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, a $79.95 helmet certified to Transportation Department standards performed the best of the 32 tested, withstanding the most violent hits while transmitting as much as 67 g’s less impact force to the headform than a $400 Snell-certified helmet.

from the International Herald Tribune:

Handlebars

Sorting Out Differences in Helmet Standards : Snell M2010 coming out soon

Published: September 25, 2009

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/automobi...7SNELL.html?hpw

Read it and weep, or Read it and get pissed...

St.

Guest ratchethack

Good update, ST. Thanks.

IMHO, the Snell test has always been marginal at passing the SMELL test. <_<

Takes a lot o' hot air out o' the classic upsell argument, "What's your head worth?", dunnit?

• 1 month later...
One of the reasons I'm happy with Nolan helmets is that they do DOT standards, and not the Snell. It gives me a sense of security. Thankfully I have never had any"Real World Testing" done so far :o

I have had 3 Nolan N102 helmets now and have road tested 2 of them. Once at 25kmh knocked out but no bbbbbrain ddamage thhat I know of :o and once in India at 80kmh with no ill effects on head even though I hit head fairly hard, so I bought a 3rd one and I hope not to road test this one.

BTW Casey Stoner wears one so they must be good. :D

Cheers

I just got a SHOEI from a Victory dealer (going out of business unfortuntely)in Cape Girardeau,Mo. and saved lot$ of money. It is more comfortable than the $90.00 helmets I am used to.

The difference in helmets has always been one of comfort more then protection. The differences are generally that cheaper helmets do not have the level of fit, finish, and features, that more expensive helmets do. Testing helmets is a good thing but unless you know how your head will hit the pavement it is only a means of weeding out the completely lacking ones. I do place more weight on DOT standards for street use and leave Snell approval for helmets I would use racing (where your head tends to hit harder).

And I do like Nolans as well but Arai's have a better fit for my head.

I've had Shoeis, AGV's and an Arai which was the only one that hurt my left ear constantly even though the initial feel was firm and snug.

I can't beat the Nolan 102's with the flip up front as they are perfect for touring when photo opportunities continually present themselves. It was particularly good in India as the photo shots just kept coming around every 2nd corner, so easy to stop, flip lid pull camera from pocket and shoot. It was also a bonus during extreme heat of the plains to be able to ride with the front raised for the cooling breeze, not recommended I know but good none the less. :rolleyes:

At one stage we had the opportunity to ride 15km to a monastery and decided to go helmetless, because over there you can, what a buzz, just so nice to get the full essence of the breeze in your face, the sounds and smells were just magic, not something I make a habit of, but fun.

All the local residents seem to ride without helmets although often carry them strapped to their bikes. It is not uncommon to see a turbaned Sikh hooning down the road with saried wife on the back cradling a suckling baby in the arms at about 80kmh in thick traffic. ;)

I can't beat the Nolan 102's with the flip up front as they are perfect for touring when photo opportunities continually present themselves.

Actually, you can beat the Nolan N100 rather easily as the N102 finally solved that idiotic "chin bar release on both sides, but only the left one works" nonsense by going to a center release [like pretty much everyone else already figured out was best.] But you already knew that... ;)

Between my $90 Zeus and $200+ Nolan N100, the Zeus [while of doubtful safety] was the better choice ergonomically. The Nolan's build quality was far and away better, but I have sidelined it lately in favor of a KBC modular. Neither the KBC nor the Nolan possess the Zeus' capacity for use of the chin bar in the open position as a sun blocker and for ventilation in slow traffic, and with a flip of your head, close up once traffic picks up again. [sigh] Too bad DOT is a self-enforced [ie: "not rigorous"] standard... I'd be tempted to go w/ the Zeus again if I thought they could be trusted! :grin: It was certainly worth the trial to see if a modular helmet would be worth it as an eyeglass wearer. [short answer: hell yeah!]

GuzziMoto makes a good point, one can pay more for a good fit. Lately, have been thinking about paying more for something quieter. Any comments on Schuberth? especially the S1 Pro in Red Furious...

http://www.schuberth.com/index.php?id=297&L=1

Oh yeah, don't forget the concept...the cooler you look => the faster you go!

Its mental.

St.

Any comments on Schuberth? especially the S1 Pro in Red Furious...

Schuberths are notorious for 3 things:

Being HEAVY!

Running incredibly small [as in someone using a Medium in a Shoei or Arai needing an XL in a Schuberth...]

Being expen$ive.

Dunno if any of that has changed lately, but since no modular is as quiet as a regular full-face, might I suggest a 20 cent pair of foam earplugs? Comfy & effective... And as Schuberth no longer has a lock on the built-in flip down eyeshades, there's really no reason to go beyond Shoei, HJC or Nolan for a quality flip-up helmet.

:thumbsup:

Fit of the hat is key to safety. Of course that little plastic shell and shock absorbing material can be made to sustain a decent whack fairly cheaply, however going on price point alone is a mistake. That hat has to be firmly on your head at all points. Head shape should dictate the manufacture of hat you choose, hopefully it is reasonably priced. My Mellon only fits the Shoei, I haven't found another manufacture that feels that secure without discomfort. Only differences I have witnessed between the downscale choices and the pricier alternatives is the life length of the shock absorbing material and venting. The cheaper ones seem to "pack out" and get loose. The pricier choices seem to have more efficient venting and some are built to stay calm "less buffeting" at higher wind velocities. Noise level will depend on the fit too. You do get more options with the upscale hats. How did we ever survive so long without them? Just before your riding partners don their lids, hum an inane tune (sesame street, celine dionne etc). It will stay and haunt them the entire morning, pissing them off, making the ride that much better.

Fit is just about the only thing that matters when I choose a helmet. After my last encounter with a moose, I went through and tested every modular helmet been sold here. Schubert was the one and only helmet which left enough space in front of nose and mouth, all others kept pressing against my face. Talk about a neanderthal skullform!

The only negative detail I've found so far with the helmet is the ridiculous small tabs which should signal a secure closing of the jaw piece. A totally needless piece of gadgetry which doesn't even work half the time. Otherwise, it has avery good venting and it's quiet considering it being a modular but I still use earplugs.

I wish there was a motorcycle helmet super store, ALL the local dealers I've been to and I think its all of them don't stock chit for helmet, a few here and there its like WTF? just because there is no helmet law in this state doesn't mean I do not want one. Most dealers have 1-3 companies and usually slim on sizes too. :angry:

not a fan of suomy, nice and light but doesn't even feel safe and pushes on my chin, Nolan has been the best but I know there is something out there better for my 7&5/8ths round melon, For hats I have to get new era 59fiftys or they just don't fit my lid. AGV fit nice but it was a half helmet and all they had to try on last time I went looking, most others like shark Bell HJC KBC all suck, I haven't been able to try a schuberth or shoei or arai as I really want a modular helmet too, its quite difficult and uncomfortable for me to pop on a full helmet on my huge melon I have to leave the modular open and roll it onto my head then close it. I'd like something quieter than nolan with similar or better fit, WHAT DO I NEED?