Matt black paint for Bevel drive box.

NakedV

Hi all, The black engine paint on my V11 is pretty much intact. Sadly the paint on the bevel drive has largly jumped ship. I intend removing what remains with a Dremel, Will remove all oxidation etc at same time. should I use a special primer and top coat with it being alloy? I had intended using heat proof engine paint but then it occured that the drive will not get that hot and may not allow the paint to cure properly. Any thoughts out there? Cheers, Mick.

Harley-Davidson black texture paint. Many of us here who had the blistering engine paint have used the Harley paint with very good results. No primer is needed. I did my engine 3 years/15k miles ago and it's holding up great.

Here's a link to one of the many threads about this:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry110415

I'm thinking the bevel box will not look right in "Crinkle", plus that finish collects fine dirt in the wrinkles thats hard to wash off completely. I don't know if your grill paint needs to cure in high heat, but maybe you could eMail/call their customer service to find out. If it does need the high heat, I'd go for some other version of matte black. If you don't like the results, use another black finish from the same brand right over the first attempt. I think using the similar enamel and manufacturer will reduce the chance of "unplanned crinkling" if you choose another finish. No matter what, 70 miles an hour in the rain and you'll never see it anyway! :grin:

Harley-Davidson black texture paint. Many of us here who had the blistering engine paint have used the Harley paint with very good results. No primer is needed. I did my engine 3 years/15k miles ago and it's holding up great.

Here's a link to one of the many threads about this:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry110415

Cheers Tom, I've e-mailed a local-ish HD dealer, hopefully they'll stock it. Regards, Mike.

I bought some high heat black wrinkle paint at an auto parts store for less than $10. I also got some clear and did the valve covers with it. It turned out great and I highly recomend you try it out. If you dont like it just strip it off & try something else. If the weather over there is like it is here in Ohio you'll have all winter to experiment with paint.

Is that a factory wheel? I thought they were ony available with 16'' wheel or an optional 18" wheel.

Astalites are like Honda's Comstars in construction and were a popular after market wheel option with kits available for many bikes (my Ducati has a pair)

Hesketh's had them and they were actually made here in Sheffield !!

very much sought after for classic racing

rotary06082502.jpg

You can strip the paint with carb cleaner, the spray stuff and a old toothbrush make pretty quick work of it. I didn't like the HD spray, price or finish. I used some (dont laugh) Rustolem Texture Finish Matte Black on my engine and it has been on there since 03. Price was cheap and it was available at Lowe's / Home Depot / Walmart.

You can strip the paint with carb cleaner, the spray stuff and a old toothbrush make pretty quick work of it. I didn't like the HD spray, price or finish. I used some (dont laugh) Rustolem Texture Finish Matte Black on my engine and it has been on there since 03. Price was cheap and it was available at Lowe's / Home Depot / Walmart.

Hey I'm not laughing at you at all! I used probably the same stuff on my rear drive, although I bought it at Walmart instead of Lowes. Later in the year I bought black textured paint at an autozone parts store and I like the high heat engine black crinkle paint better than the harware texture black. I cant see any reason to spend the extra money for a paint can with a harley logo on it.