Another LeMans Rear view mirror option...

savagehenry

One rear view mirror is getting really chalky looking, so I go looking for the replacement.

Normally I would just go to my dealer and order it. Support your local sheriff and all. But the money to play at that level is not there right now, and just bought two new tires and got some really trick front end work done, so ya do what ya gotta do.

I finally stopped in at the local HD/Buell shop. I read here that it would be $20- 25.00. Buell is asking $45.00! And I'm sorry, I don't care if they were WAY CHEAP. That "drooping antenna" look is just plain ugly enough to knock a buzzard off a shitwagon.

I go to my brothers house, where he has an old friend over, on his bike. He's a Kawasaki guy front to back. There sits my Corsa right next to his Ninja. SAME EXACT MIRRORS. A 2001 Kawasaki ZX-9R. Tells me all 1998-2002 ZX-6 and 9's are the same.

Leave there to go to local Kawi shop on the way home. Damn, who'd of thought someone could outprice both MG AND HD! Kawasaki charges $92.00!!! Apparently "cheap" bikes that get crashed have their special revenge through the back door!

I've had an account established at one of the aftermarket catalogs for a long time, and went to them. I have an EXACT copy of the stock FAR made mirror, made by Emgo for $18.00. Can't tell 'em apart but for the newness. Only change was the mounting studs are about 10mm too long. The new mirror's screw that mounts the two studs to the stalk was so tight I didn't go the simple route of just swapping in the stock plate, for fear of breaking my new stalk.You could just washer/space the difference and be done. I put a regular 6mm hex nut on it, cut off the difference, took the nut off, deburred it and mounted the mirror with the stock acorns. In total, easy as hell and looks great. Nice to clearly see if anything is behind me in the slow lane again.

Only drawback is that now I have Ninja parts on my beloved Nero. A man with a family to feed and has'nt seen 40 hours a week, much less the O.T. for a while has little room for morals though. :huh2:

...and I forgot to tighten the 6 x 80 mm screw for the fairing lower, and it fell out. I'm off to support my dealer anyway :lol:

Heres a picture of my original MG mirror. With the rubber folded back, you could remove the screw that fastens the plate with the 2 mounting studs that go through the fairing, do the same to the Kawi mirror, and put the Moto Guzzi base on your new Kawi mirror. This is the plate I could not loosen on my new mirror. It was so tight it would flex the stalk, and I didn't want to break it. I just cut the Kawasaki screws back about 10mm, and then was able to use my original acorn screws. The new mirror looks completely stock.

mirror.jpg

Here is a shot of the MG (on left) and Kawasaki mirrors. They look exactly the same. The only difference is if you look at the mirror right where it attaches to the stalk. The stock mirror has the manufacturers name, "FAR" molded into the plastic on the front. The mirror I bought has no name on it anywhere you can see. The concensus of a few of my riding coworkers is "you can't even tell, except the new one looks newer " Go figure...

cockpit.jpg