Neutral Switch

GuzzBun

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere - I did a search but couldn't find a similar problem.

I've just bought the bike (V11 Sport, V reg). The neutral light wasn't working, so I checked the bulb and it was OK. Then checked the switch and found that it had been disconnected. Reconnected and the light works, but stays illuminated all the time, in all gears as well as neutral. No starting problems - everything else works as it should. Is this a typical neutral switch failure, or is it something more obscure like a permanent earth somewhere. I've bought a new switch, so will be fitting it to see if it works properly, but wanted to ask in advance so that I can do the job with a degree of expectation one way or the other!

Thanks guys.

Guest ratchethack

GB, the plunger activating the neutral light switch has been known to stick. Some have replaced the switch. IIRC, there has been at least one post where upgrading from dino to synthetic gear lube apparently loosened the plunger and all was well.

You can remove the switch and stick something (be creative) into the hole to prevent fluid from leaking out. Then use a electrical contact cleaner to (obviously) clean the contacts in the switch. It might take a few minutes to do this so don't expect a sudden miracle.

Use an ohm-meter to test the switch verifying that it now works and reinstall it. Check the gear oil level then you're done....

A clean switch is happy switch; and the RedLine will probably help as well.

Cure for a sticky switch? Disconnect it? No, only if you're selling the bike on.

Leaving the neutral light on activates the (middle/"sidestand") relay full time. Better not to.

If a clean up doesn't fettle it, then in with the new switch.

Thanks peeps - removed the switch and it was in a sorry state - connector head bent and loose, plunger badly worn and stiff. So I fitted the new switch and all is well :)

Thanks all for your help.

GB