Supertrapp mufflers

chris351

Hi to all, wondering if anyone out there has tried or heard of someone using supertrapps on a V11? do they work well?? do they sound good?? if so I also think the brushed stainless steel versions would look damn good too.sup_443_2017.jpg

Guest ratchethack
Never heard a Supertrapp on a Guzzi but they are indeed loud on other bikes as JC says. I've thought them a bit raspy sounding on multis.

I've had one on my XT600 for 8 years. The primary advantage of tunable exhaust is the ability to move and re-shape torque and power peaks to suit output objectives by adjusting back-pressure. Tuned for max high RPM HP, with a high number of disks installed, they are LOUD. If the objective is to tune for max auditory delight, IMHO a SuperTrapp is a poor choice. :o

Thanks for the feedback, seems overall the opinion is divided an nobody seems to be overly excited about these cans. Guess it would come down to personal preference on the sound, weight saving is always a bonus. At the risk of sounding ignorant I think raspiness comes at higher rpms (previous experience with car exhausts) and as I am not tuning for the race track it may not be an issue tuned in the midranges for the street, I just want to make it sound like a bike and not a sewing machine like the sound out of the factory pipes (without spending a fortune mind you on something like staintune or mistrals). Cheers

You can't go too loud if you only change the cans and leave the OE crossover in place. I have a pair of open carbon Mistrals behind the stock crossover and it resulted in a beautiful, deep tone without being overly loud.

When I'm in the mood for loud, I'll take my LM I with open bellmouth Dell'Ortos and Lafranconi Competitione pipes for a spin. Wakes the dead, that is seriously LOUD!!! Nice to ride through small villages early in the morning.

Hi to all, wondering if anyone out there has tried or heard of someone using supertrapps on a V11? do they work well?? do they sound good?? if so I also think the brushed stainless steel versions would look damn good too.

Havent seen em in yonks, were abouts are you looking at getting them from?

I use Neptune (Wellington) but unfortunatly they have turned turtle, a farking nice muffler they made to.

So another option is Zorts, local to Chch they have a tunable baffel and removable spud... other wise if looking at an import then ya cant beat Mistral or Termie.

I just got a set of fast by ferracci carbon fiber cans and it made a huge difference in the way the bike runs. I cant say one can is better than the other, only having tried the ferracci. BUT...I can definitely say the bike runs a hell of a lot better once its uncorked at both ends. Whatever can you end up choosing I'd bet you'll find the bike to be a hell of a lot more fun to ride. You can keep an eye on ebay for a used set of cans and just have a pipe bent to fit between the can and the crossover.

Guest ratchethack
I just got a set of fast by ferracci carbon fiber cans and it made a huge difference in the way the bike runs.

Interesting, Richard.

I got a noticeable boost in midrange torque going to a Stucchi crossover with OE LaFranc's. Filled in the classic V11 hole in the torque curve at 4500 RPM very nicely. When I later installed FBF oval carbons, it sure sounded like it "ran better" :wub: , but no real change in output by seat-o-the-pants dyno.

But o' course, that's just me. . . B)

In my experience, there is little measurable difference between one set of cans and another. There is usually a small gain when going from stock to aftermarket mufflers, but not always. Some bikes, like some Buells I have played with, actually LOST a little bit of power going from stock to aftermarket cans. I doubt the factory OEM Guzzi cans are that well designed, but you get the idea. Usually the increase in power is more "perceived" then real. But that is okay, as most of us ride because we enjoy it, and if something increases the enjoyment it doesn't matter to me why.

Crossovers and collectors, on the otherhand, can make a noticeable difference in output, as RH said. They can move the power around or flatout increase the power output.

But if you are happy with the power output as is and just want the bike to sound and look better then swapping cans is fine.

Interesting, Richard.

I got a noticeable boost in midrange torque going to a Stucchi crossover with OE LaFranc's. Filled in the classic V11 hole in the torque curve at 4500 RPM very nicely.

Hey fill me in here, the cross over you speak of, go back a few years and a replacment on the 1100i sport made a differance and most sports had the colostamy bag swaped for a x over.

But the cross over on the V11 (04) is nothing like the old sports, its more like a aftermarket x over, in my 04 there is a gas sencer in the cross over, a replacment one like you say does it have a sencer in it? would I notice a differance with my bike?

DSC02578.JPG

DSC02577.JPG

Interesting, Richard.

I got a noticeable boost in midrange torque going to a Stucchi crossover with OE LaFranc's. Filled in the classic V11 hole in the torque curve at 4500 RPM very nicely. When I later installed FBF oval carbons, it sure sounded like it "ran better" :wub: , but no real change in output by seat-o-the-pants dyno.

But o' course, that's just me. . . B)

Well Ratchet if you want a better apples to apples comparison, try putting the stock crossover back on and switch to pod filters. Then put the ferracci cans on and see if you notice a difference. I do agree that it "sounds" like it runs better too. B) Of course I know theres as much chance of you using a pod filter as the sun rising in the west! :lol: As you always like to say YMMV.

Hey fill me in here, the cross over you speak of, go back a few years and a replacment on the 1100i sport made a differance and most sports had the colostamy bag swaped for a x over.

But the cross over on the V11 (04) is nothing like the old sports, its more like a aftermarket x over, in my 04 there is a gas sencer in the cross over, a replacment one like you say does it have a sencer in it? would I notice a differance with my bike?

The crossover on a V11 is much better then the old colostomy bag. But it is far from perfect. It does not manage exhaust flow as well as it could. It has a perforated baffle to help direct flow and reduce sound (I suspect the reduce sound part is the part they spent the majority of development money on). Switching to a better designed (I have not seen one yet I would call perfect) crossover can help fill in the hole in the mid range. I want to someday build or have built a better crossover, one that merges the two flows together properly and then splits them back apart. But until then...

Since this has turned into a crossover discussion here are my dyno runs with the stock crossover and an Fast-By-Ferracci crossover. All engine components, ECU, and PCIII map were the same for both runs, but they were done years apart on different dynos. Note the improvement in the torque curve with the FBF.

Stock crossover:

IMG_0006.jpg

FBF crossover:

IMG_0001.jpg