LeMans wont start

badge502

I just got this '02 Lemans, and there is a funny story Ill tell later. BUT, it wont start... The lights come on, the fuel pump charges up, hit the starter button... Nothing. I look in the manual, and notice a start relay... Im not sure if the problem is with the start relay, OR the starter switch, or something else... I also notice a white/brown wire, and a white/black wire inside the starter button plastic... IF i shorted those together, and it turned over, then I would thinkthat mechanism is bad... If not maybe starter relay? Any suggestions on what to try?

thanks,

Jeff

PS it will bump start

Clutch is in, kill switch is in the correct position.

First things first, is the kill switch OK, (Not sure about the V11 but my Daytona still primes the fuel pump when the kill switch is thrown but doesn't start obviously) Then the relay, plenty on this forum about relays, its all been said before, look in the tech section

First things first, is the kill switch OK, (Not sure about the V11 but my Daytona still primes the fuel pump when the kill switch is thrown but doesn't start obviously) Then the relay, plenty on this forum about relays, its all been said before, look in the tech section

Yeah, I was just reading the tech sections about the relays... The kill switch "kills" the fuel pump, so it must be OK, I can hear the pump kick on and off when I flip the switch...

I tried swapping the relays to different sockets, but I got the same effect... nothing. Ive got the Bosch 0-332-207-307 relays, and I dont think those are the relays that are effected... I shorted the wires in teh start button switch, but that didnt work...

THIS fixed it... SoLuTiOn for now...

THANKS V11LeMans.com !!!

Funny that happened to me at the local gas station early in the year so should have remembered it, too many bikes, too many problems, can't remember them all! Enjoy a brilliant bike which has "character" :D

Yeah, Im a big Italian bike fan... Ive also got a BMW which seems to be the polar opposite of the LeMans... BUT, for some reason, it's like the LeMans was built just for me... everything "fits" perfectly... Seat to pegs, to handlebars, its like they took my measurements, and built it just for me. One of the bikes has to go, and Im thinking it will probably be the beemer... Its a great bike, a K1200GT with all the bells and whistles, but, it just doesnt have that "soul" that the big tiwns have. Ill miss that Sirius radio... That BMW is BIG and HEAVY too... Or at least, it seems so...

Yeah, Im a big Italian bike fan... Ive also got a BMW which seems to be the polar opposite of the LeMans... BUT, for some reason, it's like the LeMans was built just for me... everything "fits" perfectly... Seat to pegs, to handlebars, its like they took my measurements, and built it just for me. One of the bikes has to go, and Im thinking it will probably be the beemer... Its a great bike, a K1200GT with all the bells and whistles, but, it just doesnt have that "soul" that the big tiwns have. Ill miss that Sirius radio... That BMW is BIG and HEAVY too... Or at least, it seems so...

4 years ago I dropped into my local bike shop for a coffee and a chat and came out with a K1200LT as a "Winter" Bike, 4 months later I sold it! What a bemoth of a motorcycle, not my cup of tea despite some neat extras, I've also owned 3 Boxers, 2 used solely as winter bikes and one for commuting 100 miles a day for a couple of years. I was always glad to get back on either My Guzzi or Norton which felt so much "tighter" in the handling department. Some of my aquantances have fallen to the "dark side" and become BMW only guys..........sad, the crack is always better at a Norton or Guzzi meeting, more to talk about I guess, like how to fix them :D Something you don't have to do on a BMW (The dealer has to do it!) This year on my many trips to the continent via the ferry from the UK, the ship has been full of BMW's , seems the ad guys (and Ewan & Charley) have made it appear you cant do serious touring without a Bavarian Tractor so the mass populous tour on Bmw's missing out on the vital ingredient for motorcycle touring, adventure (Of course the sense of adventure being not knowing when your next unplanned maintenace stop will occur and what interesting people you'll meet as a consequence)

.......... came out with a K1200LT as a "Winter" Bike..........)

Never could get into the K bikes. I've ridden a couple but they just feel long and heavy compared with the R models. "Winter bike" is fitting. I ride the RT in cold, rainy weather or when the wife comes along. Excellent mount for those days.

Riding solo, the Italians get the call most of the time though. More heart & soul. :bier:

Never could get into the K bikes. I've ridden a couple but they just feel long and heavy compared with the R models. "Winter bike" is fitting. I ride the RT in cold, rainy weather or when the wife comes along. Excellent mount for those days.

Riding solo, the Italians get the call most of the time though. More heart & soul. :bier:

Or the Nortons hopefully, it's always a toss up which I prefer, the Guzzi's or the Commando's :D:D

Yeah, but if you are going to click away the multiple thousand miles, BMW's sure are hard to beat... I like the GT... Im old and spoiled, and that heated seat sure beats freezing your ass off in the middle of nowhere... :D

The Italian bikes ARE much more fun. I always make the comparison of a beautiful Italian woman in a bar, and a "stout" German girl with a good job. I think BOTH is the correct answer. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Or the Nortons hopefully, it's always a toss up which I prefer, the Guzzi's or the Commando's :D:D

The V11 for me is a modern Commando. All the soul, more power, more comfort, better handling & brakes.

I'll confess my Commando has been sitting on a stand in my office for the past two years. Only so much room at home so one of my higher maintenance girls got the bump. I do miss it though so a rotation is in order. :D