spring rates

gavo

Ok I've searched but only had partial sucess, soooo who can tell me the stock spring rates on the 2001 mandello marz front end and sach rear end. I did find one reference to the fork springs being .6 kg/mm

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah : .6 seems right. I think I pumped mine up to .9 or 1.0 (I can't remember) with a nice improvement. Now that I've put on another stone-and-a-half, I ought to trade up springs again or give up the Stout.

Ok I've searched but only had partial sucess, soooo who can tell me the stock spring rates on the 2001 mandello marz front end and sach rear end. I did find one reference to the fork springs being .6 kg/mm

The factory springs in my 2002 Marzocchi were a little over .8 kg/mm according to the measurements I took when I had my forks apart. That agreed with what Traxxion Dynamics said they measured on their donor bike. Apparently the earlier 'zokes had softer springs. I'm happy with the set of 1.05kg/mm springs that I bought from TD.

FWIW here's my fork spring thread from a while back:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...xxion&st=15

Hmm, that might be a bit of that nifty Deutsch humor :huh: ....

No, no. Just not the most correct sentence ever. It was meant as a question only, more or less. I was interested what sort of "nice improvement" pu(i)mped your springs from 0.6 up to 1.0 .

Hubert

Guest ratchethack

OEM Spring rates

2000 short frame “Extremely Twitchy” :not: Sport ;)

OEM Sachs shock spring

Wire Diameter, .436"

Coil Diameter (center to center), 2.712"

Number of Free Coils, 5

[calc] 532 pounds per inch (93 N/mm).

OEM Marzocchi 040 fork springs

Wire Diameter, .176"

Coil Diameter (center to center), 1.193"

Number of Free Coils, 22.6

[calc] 36 pounds per inch (.64 kg/mm).

SPRING RATE CALCULATOR SOURCE: http://guzzitech.com/springrate.html

OEM Sachs shock spring

[calc] 532 pounds per inch (60 Nm).[/indent]

Something is wrong with those measurements or calculations.

FWIW 532 # per inch is about 90 N/mm or I guess a 0.9Nm, but I thought Nm is for torque, so not sure if it converts.

When I went from the OEM spring to a 475 # spring, my laden sag decreased, not as much as I had hoped, but it did decrease, so I am surprised that you measured 532#

Perhaps you did not remove the thickness of the paint on the spring from the measurement???