Painting or powder coating forged rims?

Admin Jaap

I noticed a recent picture from a forum member with a Scura that had the rims and valve covers powder coated in the candy red Rosso Mandello color. At least I'm pretty sure it was powder coating. I think it was posted in the pics thread and they look perfect. I believe he had the stock rims but since powder coating involves baking the powder at 400 degrees f. I dont think you should have any problems with your forged rims.

The gold anodized OZ forged alu rims on my V11 need a different color. I was wondering if powder coating is possible as it gives the nicest result.

Opinions, tips are welcome!

No problem powder coating and it is by far superior to paint in terms of durability. You'll have to remove your bearings. Make sure they seal the bores where the bearings fit to keep the coating out.

powder coating [sic] is by far superior to paint in terms of durability.

I have seen powder coated wheels that had an impeccable finish and texture but the powder coating was so brittle that any stone damage caused a small piece of paint to chip out leaving a star shaped hole.

I have a set of wheels painted with an acrylic paint that is very bullet proof. The painter has a couple of sample pieces that he allows you to hit with a hammer and what happens is the paint deforms from the blow at worst and merely scuffs lightly at best allowing it to be polished back to original.

Here is a link to the website of Gem Blasters. They specialize in media blasting but they also feature their Bullet Proof coatings that I had applied to the rims.

Gem Blasters/Bullet Proof Coatings

Unfortunately I don't believe they have an outlet in Holland.

You'll have to remove your bearings. Make sure they seal the bores where the bearings fit to keep the coating out.

+1 and make sure they mask the brake rotor seats & bolt holes as well. I failed to mask the rotor seats and I had to pay that lazyness with lots of sweat - it is hard to remove for sure.

The rear rim has a steel tube in center, where the bearings mount. It's a press fit and secured by a seeger ring. I pressed it out after heating good and using a humongous press. It broke loose with a bang, scary as hell. Before mounting it again I had the tube in the fridge a good while and heated the rim but it still took some insane amount of pressure to put in in place.

When you're at it, replace the valve stems with right angled ones from Ducati, and you'll thank yourself every time you check tyre pressure :thumbsup:

Please do not paint those expensive and beautiful rims!!!

Sell them, get yourself another set less expensive wheels to paint. This is just my opinion.

@Raz: we are talking 'bout OZ Racing wheels. There is no press fitted steel tube in the center. If you remove the bolts of the shaft you can easily remove the very lightweight alu tube.

And the angled valve stems are genuine mounted. As I said, beautiful rims!

I like the original gold anodizing on other peoples bikes but prefer other colors on my own. I would powder coat them. They have so many wild powder coat finishes nowadays to choose from. I would think you could find something that would look great and be more durable.

Please do not paint those expensive and beautiful rims!!!

Sell them, get yourself another set less expensive wheels to paint. This is just my opinion.

@Raz: we are talking 'bout OZ Racing wheels. There is no press fitted steel tube in the center. If you remove the bolts of the shaft you can easily remove the very lightweight alu tube.

And the angled valve stems are genuine mounted. As I said, beautiful rims!

The front wheel is already painted after my infamous dike accident in 2006. It was dented, but the guys at TLM managed to get it straightened out.

The front wheel is already painted after my infamous dyke accident in 2006. It was dented, but the guys at TLM managed to get it straightened out.

I understand you are angry after her fat ass damaged your expensive wheel and all but let's excercise some self restraint

Just because she was wearing manly clothing and had a butch haircut there is no reason you have to resort to name calling. Really Jaap, I didn't expect this from you of all people.

I understand you are angry after her fat ass damaged your expensive wheel and all but let's excersize some self restraint

Just because she was wearing manly clothing and had a butch haircut there is no reason you have to resort to name calling. Really Jaap, I didn't expect this from you of all people.

What are you going on about?

Wasn't the incident from some road-raging electrician throwing a pair of wire cutters at the bike after Jaap flipped the cager the bird for cutting him off & almost killing him? ;)

What are you going on about?

it was a joke

Wasn't the incident from some road-raging electrician throwing a pair of wire cutters at the bike after Jaap flipped the cager the bird for cutting him off & almost killing him? ;)