SPEED PER 1000 RPM

Kiwi_Roy

Hi,

The speedo cable on my 02 V11 Sport is broken. I have ordered another one but the dealer expects it to be a month or more.

Can someone tell me the speed in kmh for 1000 RPM in each gear so I can ride by tacho in the meantime.

Thanks in advance

Roy :rolleyes:

I do mostly city driving....here are a few from my 00 Sport approximately but close.

3rd Gear - 4,000 rpm 45 mph 72.4 kmh

3rd Gear - 5,000 rpm 60 mph 96.6 kmh

2nd Gear - 5,000 rpm 38 mph 61.1 kmh

2nd Gear - 4,000 rpm 30 mph 48.3 kmh

Note: I have one of those "vagluelia" tach's that starts at 500 rpm's.......does that throw off all my numbers? :lol:

Bob

Guest ratchethack
Hi,

The speedo cable on my 02 V11 Sport is broken. I have ordered another one but the dealer expects it to be a month or more.

Hi Roy

Coupla thoughts

I've replaced 2 V11 speedo cables, one on my 2000 Sport, after the worm gear drive at the gearbox (you don't have this) popped off its retaining disk, and the cable came out on the road somewhere in the mountains, and one on a Pal's '04 LM, (of the "angle-bent shroud design") which had gone dry and corroded, snapping in 2 (very common on this Forum over the years).

You can have just about any cable of this kind remade as good as, or better than new at your local speedo shop, as long as you bring in both ends of the broken cable and the cable shroud -- for a tiny fraction of the cost of a new Guzzi cable. They simply use new generic rotary cable and match up the previous length with new ends, using the old shroud. In many cases, they will do it in a matter of minutes while you wait. One shop that I'm familiar with guarantees their work.

If you lube the cable properly, it will last many times longer than if you allow it to go dry -- possibly indefinitely. I use gearbox lube gravity-fed from the speedo end overnight through a taped-on funnel. The lube will be drawn down the length of the cable by the spiral windings of the cable, lubing the cable drive gears inside the gearbox.

NOTE: Despite popular delusions to the contrary, and the common Forum justifications for negligence of lubing the cable, :rolleyes: there is NO POSSIBILITY of contaminating the instrument with cable lube. It simply does not, and cannot happen, due to the rotation of the cable and the direction of the cable winding. Yes, I have verified this before, during, and after many tens of thou miles on the road. ;)

Hope this helps you extend the life of your new cable. :thumbsup:

I do mostly city driving....here are a few from my 00 Sport approximately but close.

3rd Gear - 4,000 rpm 45 mph 72.4 kmh

3rd Gear - 5,000 rpm 60 mph 96.6 kmh

2nd Gear - 5,000 rpm 38 mph 61.1 kmh

2nd Gear - 4,000 rpm 30 mph 48.3 kmh

Note: I have one of those "vagluelia" tach's that starts at 500 rpm's.......does that throw off all my numbers? :lol:

Bob

My Vaglia starts at 500 too so I had my dealer hook it up to his Guzzi computer. It doesnt affect the rest of the clock, I guess thats just where the needle stops at the bottom. But once you start it up its relatively accurate.

Guest ratchethack
My Vaglia starts at 500 too so I had my dealer hook it up to his Guzzi computer. It doesnt affect the rest of the clock, I guess thats just where the needle stops at the bottom. But once you start it up its relatively accurate.

Aye. My Veglia does the same, but it tracks along spot-on with my inductive tach at idle and above. :thumbsup:

Hi Roy

Coupla thoughts

I've replaced 2 V11 speedo cables, one on my 2000 Sport, after the worm gear drive at the gearbox (you don't have this) popped off its retaining disk, and the cable came out on the road somewhere in the mountains, and one on a Pal's '04 LM, (of the "angle-bent shroud design") which had gone dry and corroded, snapping in 2 (very common on this Forum over the years).

You can have just about any cable of this kind remade as good as, or better than new at your local speedo shop, as long as you bring in both ends of the broken cable and the cable shroud -- for a tiny fraction of the cost of a new Guzzi cable. They simply use new generic rotary cable and match up the previous length with new ends, using the old shroud. In many cases, they will do it in a matter of minutes while you wait. One shop that I'm familiar with guarantees their work.

If you lube the cable properly, it will last many times longer than if you allow it to go dry -- possibly indefinitely. I use gearbox lube gravity-fed from the speedo end overnight through a taped-on funnel. The lube will be drawn down the length of the cable by the spiral windings of the cable, lubing the cable drive gears inside the gearbox.

NOTE: Despite popular delusions to the contrary, and the common Forum justifications for negligence of lubing the cable, :rolleyes: there is NO POSSIBILITY of contaminating the instrument with cable lube. It simply does not, and cannot happen, due to the rotation of the cable and the direction of the cable winding. Yes, I have verified this before, during, and after many tens of thou miles on the road. ;)

Hope this helps you extend the life of your new cable. :thumbsup:

I couldn't find a speedo shop locally, The shroud had a bad kink, must have got caught in the steering somehow. and very rusty otherwise I would have just replaced the inner with a kit from the local auto parts store.

I put it on my Christmas wish list but unfortunately the one the supplied wouldn't fit. Apparently they have to get one from Italy.

I'm not too impressed by the local dealer but buying on line usually works out more expensive with duty and broker fees.

Thanks for the lube tips

Roy

Guest ratchethack
Ok, then how bout my "bouncing" speedo.......

This is generally wot they do when they've gone dry and are about ready to let go. :(

Guest ratchethack
Yikes!!!! Any saving her?

Bob

How long has it been doing this? You could try lubing it, per above. It might not be too late. :thumbsup: