Off to Vancouver for two months!

I'm working in the downtown area till early March for the Olympic broadcasts.Won't have a lot of downtime but should have evenings off get dinner,check emails,take Jim's MGS out for an un-authorized joy ride, and try to get 6-7hrs sleep.(ya TV's real glamorous,"Caaarny's,circus folk,small feet,smell like cabbage".

I was there in the spring for a week and have a few contacts,but am always open to suggestions from locals,

Thanks,

Michael

Austin.jpg

Food; Korean-Jo Man Jib N. side of Robson St near Denman St.,

Greek-Olympic on Denman St. (I had to sign a paper with 4000 others to keep the IOC off his ass, he also makes the best pizza in downtown core)

Thai- Robson, Denman streets excellent one on Thurlow near the Granville Bridge (west side of Thurlow)

Vietnamese- 18th and Main good Pho house there, Kingsway all the way

Indian- on Comox just off Denman, otherwise head to Main and 52-54th (little India)

Mexican-Los Margaritas on 4th for Texmex, for actual Mexican west side of Denman near Robson (awful chemical margaritas though)

Japanese-Robson St upstairs (you'll find it) boats floating past, sake in yer blood

Martinis- Foot of Davie St (Yaletown) cruise yaletown loads there, or Cin Cin on Robson St. The Financial district (Georgia and Dunsmuir) is good for afternoon drinking.

Beer; Steamworks (Gastown) or Yaletown Brewing Company (Yaletown) or Atlantic Trap and Gill (east end of Robson by the Stadium this is now kind of sports bar oriented), Stella's Commercial Drive (little Italy) awesome braised tuna and other fun shit with at least 20 European brews to choose.

Pubs- 12th and Commercial west side of st, free live entertainment Fri nights, good beer proper joint

Coffee- Little Italy (Commercial Drive), Calabria (this is where the italian bike nuts meet on some tues of some months, like the bikes they are completely unreliable and a whole lot of fun)

Continental Coffee (Commercial Drive) when the rest of N. America was still accepting speed from a drip, this was the place to accelerate!

Joe's Cafe (Commercial) this is the place to have a cappo and watch the gong show, listen to the drums and be thankful you're gainfully employed

Have fun out here eh! funny now that I have tried to encapsulate Vancouver, it is a small town, hit Denman, Commercial, Main, 4th, Davie you've got a good taste of this place. If staring at the water and yachts is your thing head to Marinaside Crescent (Yaletown) or Coal Harbour (downtown) restaurants and drinkeries abound Cheers :bier:

Oh yeah the one greasy spoon to hit is Dockers on Powell at the foot of Victoria, as a New Yorker you will appreciate this one.

'

Too bad your here during the dreary winter. Oh well, like Monkey has mentioned, great food & drink.

Best pub is clearly DIX in Yaletown. Go Thursdays night, open keg night, if you like IPA, this is it!

I'm one of the nuts that show up @ Cafe Calabria on Commercial Drive at 1st Ave. Last Tuesday of every month. During the crappy weather, you won't find bikes show up, summer's different though. They serve a mean authentic panini and coffee as good as Italia, I know. Ask for 'Frank's Special' and a double 'cappi', grab a seat at the window, and watch the entertainment walk by.

BTW, Jim's MGS-01 is about 55 miles due east of downtown.

Steve

Can't really offer up info on Vancouver, BUT, if you happen to come across to the Island, and find yourself close to Mt. Washington, make contact as we are 30min from the top. We can offer up a fair cuppa tea or coffee and a great Curry or a Salmon on the BBQ :thumbsup:

Cheers

:bier:

Van

Too bad your here during the dreary winter. Oh well, like Monkey has mentioned, great food & drink.

Best pub is clearly DIX in Yaletown. Go Thursdays night, open keg night, if you like IPA, this is it!

I'm one of the nuts that show up @ Cafe Calabria on Commercial Drive at 1st Ave. Last Tuesday of every month. During the crappy weather, you won't find bikes show up, summer's different though. They serve a mean authentic panini and coffee as good as Italia, I know. Ask for 'Frank's Special' and a double 'cappi', grab a seat at the window, and watch the entertainment walk by.

BTW, Jim's MGS-01 is about 55 miles due east of downtown.

Steve

Bugger! I was going to try and fool him with a tarted up Z50!!

Definitely go for Cafe Calabria.

Thanks for all the great info guys.I'll be defiantly checking out your suggestions.I'm a sucker for hot food Monkey so you nailed it.10.0!For Indian, I heard Vig's Rangoli was good ,true?

Thanks,

Michael

Vig's Rangoli is the top rated Indian restaurant in the city! I have not been but you can't go wrong here, we have a major S. Asian population keeping it real. On that level for Italian dining go to Il Giardino (Hornby and Pacific), the Thai I mentioned previously is Khai Thai on Seymour at Robson not on Thurlow, Thai hot!. :food:

I gotta go check out the IPA Cheers :drink:

Lucky lucky bastard.

You can be on a chairlift at a pretty decent local area in 30 minutes from downtown - if you have that inclination.

Vij's (more upscale) or Vij's Rangoli (kind of bistro-like) should not be missed if you enjoy Indian food. There's a ton of other places as well, but the food he makes is unique and outstanding in my experience. They sell takeout from the bistro if you're short on time.

Tojo's is a well regarded (but pricey) place for sushi. I've had good experiences here as well.

Great fish & chips at Mr. Pickwick's on Denman downtown; Falafel King, also good, is just down the street.

Finally, Granville Market is a huge covered market with a pretty good variety of foodstuffs; vendors cater to both locals and tourists, and I'm salivating thinking about all the varieties of smoked salmon you will find in the fish stalls there.

I'm working in the downtown area till early March for the Olympic broadcasts.Won't have a lot of downtime but should have evenings off get dinner,check emails,take Jim's MGS out for an un-authorized joy ride, and try to get 6-7hrs sleep.(ya TV's real glamorous,"Caaarny's,circus folk,small feet,smell like cabbage".

I was there in the spring for a week and have a few contacts,but am always open to suggestions from locals,

Thanks,

Michael

If you do make it out the Valley I will most certainly take care of you! I promise the Z50 will be ready at a moments notice!! The MGS will be there for viewing only if good Scotch is applied and if enough is applied then I may even start it!!

If you do make it out the Valley I will most certainly take care of you! I promise the Z50 will be ready at a moments notice!! The MGS will be there for viewing only if good Scotch is applied and if enough is applied then I may even start it!!

Ha,ha,..After coming from a V11,I might not be able to handle the step-up in power to a Z50! Doesn't look like I'll be able to get out of town ,no car and no time off.Can't wait to ride up here though,been wanting to for years.Have a buddy in Seattle who just bought a second bike ,so I might have a West Coast ride.

BC 2010 tour !