Shift Feel when it's Cold Outside

Guest Thundering Subash

Guest Thundering Subash

Just got back from a ride in this brisk Minnesota weather :blink: (it's currently 42 degrees Fahrenheit) and I have to say that I LOVE the way the tranny shifts when it's cold outside. I've read some criticizms of the V11 6 speed tranny that it's almost too refined, which I tend to agree with. I like a bit of a "cachunk" when I shift from neutral to first gear when waiting at a traffic light. In warmer weather, the shifter feels a bit vague and I occasionally get false neutrals between 2nd and 3rd gear if I'm in crusing mode. When I'm running it hard at higher revs the shifting is much more precise.

On a scale of "cachunk" to "snick", "schlak" being in the middle, I would put my Lemans on the lighter side of "snick" in warm weather, and on the heavier side of "snick" in cold weather.

By the way, I run Valvoline SAE 80W-90 gear oil in my tranny.

Any thoughts or recommendations out there on what oil to use in the transmisssion to get a more solid feel year round while still providing good protection??? :bike:

-Chris

Reference Key

cachunk=Harley

schlak=older Japanese bikes, newer Japanese Harley knock-offs

snick=newer Japanese sport oriented bikes

Disclaimer ^_^

This is not an exact science, only my personal experience with bikes. Please don't be offended if your particular bike is not referenced in the cachunk, schlak, snick scale. Perhaps some day I'll do a more comprehensive study on the topic and publish my findings.

So for those using the Redline and similar...no leakage/seep problems with the switch to synthetic?

All modern synthetic gear and engine oils have the required "seal swellers" that prevent leaks just like dino oil.

I use redline 75w90 synthetic gear oil. Shifts fine.

This oil is also rated GL-5 instead of the GL-4 of the MT90 Redline. It has more friction modifiers (more slippery) and has added EP (extreme pressure) additives.

If it leaks on synthetic, you have leaky gaskets! :homer:

Redline 75-90 - good. maybe even very good.

Redline Shockproof Heavy (red color like blood) - seventh heaven.

Leaks after switching to synthetic - old wife's tale.

If your gaskets leak that means you have bad gaskets.

All V11S family bikes are full of synthetic oils from factory.