How long on a battery?

Richard Z

Ok here goes. Now that I mention it. Mine will probably Die..

2004 V11sport 5000 miles. Been on a Tender since delivered Dec 07.

How much life left in it? (Like you all can see the future)LOL

Should I go buy one right before the riding season really gets underway or wait til it leaves me on a cold dark back road...

You have NOT ridden it since 12/07 ? What brand battery is it?

Seems that Long... No Silly... Original Equipment Manufacturer. Couldn't tell Ya exactly.

It gets plugged in each and everytime I park the bike when not being ridden.

As long as the battery is in a state of (continuous) charge I would NOT be afraid of riding it. The way batteries are manufactured now, they are good until (immediate) death.

I would replace it, lots of things are adversely affected when the battery starts to operate below peak on these bikes, some parts are cheap (relays) others are'nt like the regulator and stator. I let mine go till it was obviously gone, it was the original battery it made it 6 years (02-08) and those are the components I had to replace the very next season. You could load test it and decide from its performance whether or not to squeak another season out of it. But it owes you nothing, like an early oil change it makes that ride more carefree. :2c:

I bought my V11 in late '01. I'm just about to install battery #3 this weekend. The original Sparko lasted 3 1/2 yrs. The Odyssey 545 just started frigging leaking fluid, so it's done after 5 1/2 yrs. I don't understand, the voltage regulator always gave it a perfect 13.4 volt run charge.

I'm disapointed in modern battery technology.

Steve

13.4 V may be perfect for a car battery but it's a little low for an AGM battery. 14-15 volts is good. I replaced my regulator last spring and now it charges about 14.1 at any speed but idle. At idle it's slightly below 14 volts.

Anyway personally I wouldn't replace a battery until it gives me problems. Some of them last "forever".

still on the original battery from 2000, Im giving it two recharges every winter and that seems to do it.

wifeys Laverda 1997 needs a new batt now, after 13 (thirteen!) yrs.

2003 bike registered 2004. Original Spark battery occasionally boosted through the riding season (this bike is off the road in winter) and the battery charged then stored in the warm house till spring. Goes straight on the bike and first spins her up sans plugs to get the oil round, then always starts first time. I'll replace it when it stops taking a good charge, until then why waste the money on a new one :thumbsup:

2003 bike registered 2004. Original Spark battery occasionally boosted through the riding season (this bike is off the road in winter) and the battery charged then stored in the warm house till spring. Goes straight on the bike and first spins her up sans plugs to get the oil round, then always starts first time. I'll replace it when it stops taking a good charge, until then why waste the money on a new one :thumbsup: