(More) About Oil

docc

I posted this link on a thread in 24/7 V11, but thought we might should entertain it here. This is the most thorough single technical article I've read on oil, ratings, additives and the relationship to flat tappet cams in air cooled motors.

I first read the ninth revision (about ten times) and continue to try to get it all into my thick cortex.

Honestly, my goal has been to narrow down my oil selections to two products for my three passenger vehicles, two motorcycles, and variety of air cooled small engines.

In the end, the compromises are inevitable and I'm still not using the best air filter . . .

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair and other Engines By Richard Widman

It says a lot about winter in British Columbia that a sensible sort as yourself would read through that complex document.

Good on ya, docc

After reading that I am going to run Yak fat. Much less hype and debate.

Actually an interesting read, but I wish he had more testing less theory based on MSDS sheets. But taken for what it is worth at a minimum it will help to provide a decent basis for base oil education vs marketing hype. Those of you here in the US should take note, our "sythetics" can actually be mostly non-sythetics, if any all.

Thanks for the link.

Hey, I'm glad you took time to look it over. It's not exactly an "easy read."

Real Ground Hog Day stuff . . .

While I've got my oil choices down to "two", I'm not at all comfortable with them and will probably change the V11 to something else one more time.

Maybe you could let me borrow your yak . . .

• 3 weeks later...