Muffled Muffler Modification ideas

tinklespout

Hi Ya'll,

I just got a 2004 LeMans and am wondering if there's anything I can do to improve the sound of the factory mufflers. The bike only has a few thousand miles on it so I'd rather not layout a lot of money for new mufflers at this point if I don't have to. I don't need lighter ones and that seems to be the big selling points for after-market mufflers. I just want it to sound as good as it looks and performs! I'm quite handy if there's anything I can do to improve the sound of the originals, that would be my first choice and your suggestions would be very welcomed. Thanks a Lot, Kim

Hi and welcome - FWIW, several folks have removed the end caps and drilled some holes in the ends and then put the caps back on. Can't tell you did it and I have heard folks say that it makes the stock exhaust sound better. I have also read someone that attempted to take it apart.............based on that post...........do not try that. :nerd:

Best of Luck,

Bob

When you hear the sound of V11 with quality aftermarket system you'll drop the cash and not look back. It's worth it. That being said might trying scouring Ebay, dealers, web, etc for a used set of cans.

TDF

When you hear the sound of V11 with quality aftermarket system you'll drop the cash and not look back. It's worth it. That being said might trying scouring Ebay, dealers, web, etc for a used set of cans.

TDF

:stupid: My M4s sound fantastic.

Before you start hacking, put on a crossover. Much less money than mufflers and it will incease sound some.

I may be wrong but I believe the later cans had small Catalytic converters in them ?

If your bike has a lambda sensor in the crossover then I would be inclined to keep the cans stock and maybe buy replacements but you'll find fitting a Mistral crossover will alter the exhaust sound/volume slightly so try this first as you may find that is enough ?

If you mod the airbox lid you'll get a lot more induction noise,if you get another lid you can put it back to stock if its too loud!!

I may be wrong but I believe the later cans had small Catalytic converters in them ?

I called the stock x-over a "cat" one time early on due to it's location & the knowledge that Guzzi was supposed to have added catalytic converters to their bikes, and Greg Field unequivocally disabused me of that notion, stating the the U.S. market v11s never got the cats: it was strictly a Euro 3? smog requirement, so in the grand tradition of using up old stock, Guzzi continued making the straight up v11 & shipping it here unstrangled.

I was very happy to hear this, and have never had any reason to doubt any of Greg's data on "Guzzi insider tech info," figuring he was a lot closer to the source than any of the rest of us. Since Moto International quite literally "wrote the book" on Guzzis, I suspect that even if the factory claimed that they had installed cats in the U.S. bikes, Dave Richardson, Greg & the rest of the fine folks at MI would know the real truth of it... ;)

But an unbaffled x-over will likely be a trifle louder than the stock one [which is more of a pre-muffler than a crossover if you ask me] and in combination with drilling out underneath the end caps [search elsewhere on the forum for modifying the stock cans for more details] may supply all the music that the OP would ever want [& certainly all his neighbors would ever want! :grin:]

I called the stock x-over a "cat" one time early on due to it's location & the knowledge that Guzzi was supposed to have added catalytic converters to their bikes, and Greg Field unequivocally disabused me of that notion, stating the the U.S. market v11s never got the cats: it was strictly a Euro 3? smog requirement, so in the grand tradition of using up old stock, Guzzi continued making the straight up v11 & shipping it here unstrangled.

I was very happy to hear this, and have never had any reason to doubt any of Greg's data on "Guzzi insider tech info," figuring he was a lot closer to the source than any of the rest of us. Since Moto International quite literally "wrote the book" on Guzzis, I suspect that even if the factory claimed that they had installed cats in the U.S. bikes, Dave Richardson, Greg & the rest of the fine folks at MI would know the real truth of it... ;)

But an unbaffled x-over will likely be a trifle louder than the stock one [which is more of a pre-muffler than a crossover if you ask me] and in combination with drilling out underneath the end caps [search elsewhere on the forum for modifying the stock cans for more details] may supply all the music that the OP would ever want [& certainly all his neighbors would ever want! :grin:]

I just added a pair of 2nd hand titanium Mistrals with stock crossover, Sounds out of this world without making your ears bleed. Runs smoother too, (Haven't figured that one yet).

Runs smoother too, (Haven't figured that one yet).

Different acoustics means different harmonics means areas in the fuel/ignition map that are suboptimal may have been improved.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth: just be happy & ride! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Different acoustics means different harmonics means areas in the fuel/ignition map that are suboptimal may have been improved.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth: just be happy & ride! ;)

the PO hacked mine w/a hatchet or something.. the sound is not good, I have stuffed some baffle material in there as I'm too cheap to buy replacements.. wanna trade?

IMG_1817.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg

Muffler conversion

Here is the link to the description of my muffler modifications. I did this on two sets of mufflers and got good gains, evaluated with dyno measurements. Most people here prefer the use of aftermaket cans with a noise level reminding the pearl harbour attack. Mine are not as loud, but neverthehless sound good.

Ah.... harken back to the "early days" of stock muffler butchery :oldgit:

There were so many thread of drilling, cutting, splitting, coring.... subsequent dyno runs, and the results were pretty consistent: bad sounds and poor performance. Plus they weigh a ton.

Either leave them stock, or replace :thumbsup:

Before you start hacking, put on a crossover. Much less money than mufflers and it will incease sound some.

Totally agree. My Mistral X-over made a world of difference ... 'course, I also have factory Ti cans, but I could tell a big difference between the stock X-over and the Mistral, which I added after putting on the Ti cans.