torque settings

thumper

Hi, I have searched cant find the answer,the front and rear axle bolt torque spec. is 88 foot lbs?

If its not please post the correct settings.Just put on a new set of pilots and that has been the best

suspension upgrade done to the bike so far.

Sure about this? If I am not mistaken (cannot check now), manual quotes ~30NM for the rear tire.

According to the Workshop Manual, 30 NM would be the torque for an 8mm fastener (about 22 lb-ft). Some have tried to tighten the rear like the front (90-100), but there have been some opinions that the extra torque (120NM) helps reduce bearing failure.

In this case, I'd have to say, "yes, I'm sure about this." But, I for one, appreciate the way the forum works in checks and balances as we discuss and consider postings.:thumbsup:

Thanks, thats the info. I was looking for.Set per Docc 88 rear housing side (allen on torque wrench) 70 front.

I don't think I've ever actually put my torque wrench on the "housing side." But now we know just what kind of nut cases have red-frame silver Sports!:grin:

Well, if I am allowed to quote a credible source... :oldgit:

32587395.th.png

The reason for asking is that I had a RWB failure after less then 5000km. Using torque wrench to undo the wheel, I figured out it was fastened mighty tighty. >80 Nm seems to be the figure. Had the spacer checked at the shop (different shop, not people that installed the wheel) and they said the spacer is fine.

So at this stage I am inclined to believe that overtightened nut caused bearing failure. Now I am running it @30Nm. Will tell what goes first, bearing or the wheel.

The amount of torque applied to the axle nut will have NO affect on the axial load of the bearing. The bearing spacer will keep the bearings seperated a predetermined distance. This distance should be the same or more than the distance between the bearing housing bore depths. You could apply 10ft.lb. or110ft.lb. of torque and it will not wear out the bearings.

Well, if I am allowed to quote a credible source... :oldgit:

32587395.th.png

The reason for asking is that I had a RWB failure after less then 5000km. Using torque wrench to undo the wheel, I figured out it was fastened mighty tighty. >80 Nm seems to be the figure. Had the spacer checked at the shop (different shop, not people that installed the wheel) and they said the spacer is fine.

So at this stage I am inclined to believe that overtightened nut caused bearing failure. Now I am running it @30Nm. Will tell what goes first, bearing or the wheel.

Also, consider this. The rotor screw and the axle are supposed to be torqued the same?? No way. The settings docc first showed were from the service manual's table of torque specs.

Nah, go with a good stiff grunt, or the 120 NM. I have used both, and no problems here.

I would be rather afraid that my rear axle might "walk off" at 30NM.

Also, gstallons, some have noted a 'short' spacer in the rear axle leading to perceived early bearing failures.

In the end size may (or may not ) matter.:sun:

You would think it a simple thing: "What torque, the axles?"

My 1100 Sport WHB says 120 Nm, it's more or less the same components. I'd say that's a bad typo. Docc is a credible source despite the little nipple mishap ^_^

You and Mick have been very kind about the "Little Nipple Affair.":rolleyes: What a difference a silly millimeter can make!

I looked in my Owner's Manual, as well, which calls for 12 Kgm for the rear axle. This conversion makes that 86.8 lb-ft (118 NM).

My **stars**, I could be haunted by the Littlle Nipple Affair. I think I might owe everyone on the forum a pint.

Let me know when you're in the neighborhood . . .

BYON (Bring Your Own Nipples):bier:

I would be rather afraid that my rear axle might "walk off" at 30NM.

Also, gstallons, some have noted a 'short' spacer in the rear axle leading to perceived early bearing failures.

In the end size may (or may not ) matter.:sun:

You would think it a simple thing: "What torque, the axles?"

I had the spacer checked and was told it is ok. The nut is of a self-locking kind. Probably not as safe as a splint, but is there a real danger of it walking away?

docc, your first post stated 88.5 housing side I thaught that was the correct way to

torque the bolt.I replaced the wheel bearings @ 15,000 miles I think the left bearing

was the one that went bad all rusted. Looks to me if bike is put away wet on the kick stand

the water will go to that side and ruin the bearing.