Question: Hollow front steering head bolt?

al_roethlisberger

I am in the process of installing a Powerlet accessory connector, and already have a couple decent locations scoped out. However, I saw the following solution, and it got me thinking:

VFR Powerlet Steering Head Installation

... but because I'm somewhat lazy :lol: ... I thought ask if we have a hollow steering head bolt(and what the dimension of the hole is) before I tried to pry off the stainless steel decorative cap from the triple-tree steering head bolt :rolleyes:

So, anyone know of our steering head bolt is indeed hollow, and if so what the inside diameter of the hole is??

thx!

al

P.S.

And if so, BTW how do you get that darned SS cover off without tearing it or the triple up anyway? :huh2:

honda_steering_b.jpg

Al,

I think you will find that the hole ontop of the triple trees too small for your project. There is a small cover/plug (3/8 of an inch) that you need to pry out with a small screwdriver. It covers a 10mm. or so allen bolt that tightens the steering head. Dont pry on the chrome like cover that is over an inch in diameter, that would be the bolt. :o

Mike

The pin on my Pit Bull front stand measures 17.5 mm and it fits in

the hole under the triple tree. That's not a bad installation job, but

if this for a heated vest, its probably not the best location after

stringing the wire across the tank, around tank bags etc. I'm very

much in favor using RCA jacks for electrical connections to things

like vests. They slip free easily and won't tether you to the bike at

an inopportune moment (read: crash), handle enough current to do

the job, are not bulky and can be easily found at any Radio Shed

when replacement is needed. I have one attached to a small chunk

of aluminum bar stock that resides in a Minimag flashlight cover.

The wires exit through a small punched in the bottom of the holder

and the whole thing slips under the seat out of sight when it isn't

needed.

rca_jack_for_vest.gif

Thanks for the thoughts guys, but I'm still a bit confused... perhaps I should just get off of my lazy butt and take it apart myself then eh? :lol:

Below is a photo of the stainless-steel "cover" I am talking about.

Are you saying that under that cover is a hex-head bolt versus access to a hollow head-tube? If it's hollow on the underside as Carl points out, that provides a bit of hope that the head-tube is hollow all the way through like the VFR pictured above(as stock, it too has a plastic cover where the socket is pictured). Of course if there is a bolt on top of the V11 tube, then it won't work.... :rolleyes:

I just wanted to double-check before even attempting to take that cover off, if there's no need. A bolt under it would equate to "no need" hence making the VFR type solution impossible :unsure:

Anyone have a "trick" to get that SS cap off without tearing it up BTW?

al

027_f_1_.jpg

Guest captain nemo

Al, wow, your bike is clean! It is a brilliant idea, but I can't believe that other Guzzisti tourers haven't come up with it if it is possible for vests and things. I'd be very leery of taking a screwdriver to that beautiful cap.

Also, I have the usual SAE connectors to my vest. I was just wondering it the thing would drag me in a crash. I can't imagine it would. Would it???????? :(

Al,

The chrome piece in your picture is the bolt, the more gold color piece in the center of the chrome piece is the plastic plug that hides the allen bolt hole. This is the piece that comes out, just use a small screw driver or pick and gently work it out. You will most likely end up with scratches in the chrome piece. :o

Mike

Al, wow, your bike is clean! It is a brilliant idea, but I can't believe that other Guzzisti tourers haven't come up with it if it is possible for vests and things. I'd be very leery of taking a screwdriver to that beautiful cap.

Also, I have the usual SAE connectors to my vest. I was just wondering it the thing would drag me in a crash. I can't imagine it would. Would it???????? :(

:lol: ...heh... no, that's not my bike, just one of the many original press-package photos for the 2002 LeMans that I keep archived when I need to reference something visually like the photo above :D

I don't think you have to worry about any electrical link, regardless of type, being strong enough to tie you to the bike in an accident. At the very worst, the wire itself would break under that strain.

Thanks for the additional info Mike. I went out and checked the bike, and sure-enough that raised center is a plastic cap... a very well camoflaged cap I must say :P

So officially, the VFR-like solution is a no-go :rolleyes:

But I've got a solution right in front of the fuel-tank that will work fine, and with the PowerLet tankbag hookup solution below, it would work well and be very convenient:

PowerLet Tankbag Hookup

al