Powder coating the "pork chops"

Admin Jaap

I was thinking, as I bring my wheels to the powder coater, I just as well have the pork chops coated. Again, I seem to remember there were some issues with the aluminium it was made off. Any experiences/knowledge?

I was thinking, as I bring my wheels to the powder coater, I just as well have the pork chops coated. Again, I seem to remember there were some issues with the aluminium it was made off. Any experiences/knowledge?

I think the "issues" you're thinking of were in ref. to someone thinking of getting their 'chops anodized; since it's a cast part, & cast aluminum alloys are generally not compatible w/ anodizing, that might be from whence your memory of "issues w/ the aluminum it was made of" is derived?

My only experience w/ the powder coating of the pork chops is that the original paint seems difficult to get off, despite its flaking off in places. :P [Fortunately, it's a spare I picked up cheap 'cause of its "cancerous paint" affliction.]

Had my 'chops painted black as I didn't fancy the red anodized ones. No hassle (left the job to the painter :-)).

Only hick-up is that my boots (heels) have scratched some of the paint off but that's due to my silly riding style, I suppose (keeping the toes on the footpeg instead of the entire footsole).

See some pics here: My link

Søren

Had my 'chops painted black as I didn't fancy the red anodized ones. No hassle (left the job to the painter :-)).

Only hick-up is that my boots (heels) have scratched some of the paint off but that's due to my silly riding style, I suppose (keeping the toes on the footpeg instead of the entire footsole).

See some pics here: My link

Søren

wow your bike looks good. I have to say , you must be huge- it looks like a minibike with you on it lol

edit: I see that is your son Chris !

I need to adopt your silly riding style Søren. I ended up taking a much wider line than intended through a bunch of corners last season because I was dragging my boot on the road. If I didn't ride with the arch of my foot on the peg all of the time that wouldn't have happened. I do have the Motobits kit so my footpegs are a little lower than stock which makes boot dragging more common but also more scary because the footpegs don't pivot. :o

Here's what we all should be doing if we're pushing it:

http://www.tonystrackdays.com/category/5272/foot-positioning.htm

wow your bike looks good. I have to say , you must be huge- it looks like a minibike with you on it lol

edit: I see that is your son Chris !

:-) Chris (age 23) stands 6"4' and weighs 220 lbs (pure muscles and no bellyflab like his dad) so I behave... His twin brother Andreas is a tad smaller and weighs less but the two of them makes a leathal weapon. They have this thing about 'playing with dad' which means they cormer me and beat the living sh¤# out of me! Just for fun, of course, but you can really feel it when they give you the good news.... When I start talking about who shall take over the Scura when I take the final fart then they let go of me... :oldgit:

And thanks for the kind words!

Cheers

Søren

I need to adopt your silly riding style Søren. I ended up taking a much wider line than intended through a bunch of corners last season because I was dragging my boot on the road. If I didn't ride with the arch of my foot on the peg all of the time that wouldn't have happened. I do have the Motobits kit so my footpegs are a little lower than stock which makes boot dragging more common but also more scary because the footpegs don't pivot. :o

Here's what we all should be doing if we're pushing it:

http://www.tonystrackdays.com/category/5272/foot-positioning.htm

When riding my wife's Ducati Monster I keep dragging the boots on the tarmac. Boots are size 11½ and the toesliders have taken their toll big time. Sidi makes replacement toesliders so no drama.

Thanks for sharing the vid! I can only sit and dream about good weather as it's still crap here in Denmark with icy b-roads. Cities and motorways are okay for riding but as soon as you leave urban areas you're on your own. Have only seen a handful of desparadoes downtown Copenhagen riding their bikes, the rest is awaiting for the snow and ice to disappear.

BR

Søren

When riding my wife's Ducati Monster I keep dragging the boots on the tarmac. Boots are size 11½ and the toesliders have taken their toll big time. Sidi makes replacement toesliders so no drama.

Thanks for sharing the vid! I can only sit and dream about good weather as it's still crap here in Denmark with icy b-roads. Cities and motorways are okay for riding but as soon as you leave urban areas you're on your own. Have only seen a handful of desparadoes downtown Copenhagen riding their bikes, the rest is awaiting for the snow and ice to disappear.

BR

Søren

I suppose I wouldn't be dragging as much if it weren't for my size 12 boots...

We just had about 8" of rain here that pretty much wiped out all of our snow & ice. I just finished putting my LeMans back together last night so I'm really looking forward to getting back on the road this weekend! Hope yours melts soon too :bier:

I suppose I wouldn't be dragging as much if it weren't for my size 12 boots...

We just had about 8" of rain here that pretty much wiped out all of our snow & ice. I just finished putting my LeMans back together last night so I'm really looking forward to getting back on the road this weekend! Hope yours melts soon too :bier:

You know what they say about men with big feet, aye?.... (they wear big shoes, what else??)

First man out gets the beers! :-)

Søren

Yep, the issue was with anodizing..... man that was an adventure some years ago. The cast parts such as valve covers and "pork chops" would turn some black-ish mess in many cases due to impurities.

The only issue I had with powder coating wasn't unique to MG, but just in general. Remember that powder coat is significantly thicker than liquid paint. So be sure to either mask off the areas or trim/remove the powder coat that are mating surfaces. Otherwise some of your tolerances will be off and it may be hard to reassemble. Plus the powder coat will wear, then you'll have parts loosening up.

And also, perhaps obviously, if you plan to have any machining done, do that before. I have a couple knicks I had to touch-up when we tapped out one of the bosses and had a little SNAFU.

Al