misfire that disappears when warm

guzzimeister

If you unplug the cable and connect your multimeter on the Ohms scale it should go smoothly from a low value to high

as you work the throttle. Alternately it should go from 150 - 4800 odd mV smoothly.

If not

This has been my experience with other rheostats, radios, control equipment etc.

Often the grease that's applied to the surface gets hard with age causing the wiper to loose contact. It can be

improved by cleaning the contacting surface with a solvent of some type, perhaps electronic cleaner from Radio Shack.

You may not have to pull it apart just spray into an opening (i haven't looked at mine to see how it's put together)

It might be worth a try anyway before you shell out for a new sensor.

Regards

Roy

I may be the Average Noob of which you speak!:nerd:

When struggling with a running condition a couple years ago, I did not see the jump in mV in the TPS signal, yet when checking it with the Ohm meter, it was obvious that the resistance would lag, then leap. Replacing the unit made a big improvement.

I thought it was pretty simple and safe test. Hubert, do you think there is a trouble in it?

BTW, Guzzimeister, what happens if you perform the resistance teat on you bad TPS, slowly opening and observing the milliOhms?

Nothing at all, stays stuck at the one resistance reading which I can't remember now. Boy was it F*cked. Now having it mounted on a chain so I can wear it as it is more expensive than any other jewellery I own

Nothing at all, stays stuck at the one resistance reading ....

That's not the common fault. If this was true the bike wouldn't have made one single meter after the fault had manifested. You're probably one that hit the resistance trap.

A TPS is not a potentiometer as you find them in radios or DIY spare boxes. If you try to measure the resistance of single components of a TPS you should know what you do.

Stay to the signal, the output voltage, this is easier to handle and the how to is properly described even.

Hubert