FBF air filter kit for Tenni?

nanosecond

Looked at the at the FBF website. It looks like a easy fit fo sr my Tenni. Has anyone else done this mod? Is it as straightforward as it appears?

Not to be snide, but did you even try a search on FBF air box lid before asking? ;)

In short, several folks have done this, but the consensus seems to be that the intake roar is pretty serious, and you can save the money and achieve similar performance results with somewhat less noise by cutting holes in the stock lid.

Good luck w/ your decision. HTH.

Hi Skeeve,

I did do a search yeh.. Have read the various pinned posts (e.g. pods v filter mods). I was assuming that it would fit., but as it's going to involve me importing it from the US, I wanted to make certain.

I have read Ivan Falloon's Guzzi History and one thing that does come across is that their were small mods each year to the V11. I'm also finding that while there are quite a few 'hop up' parts available for the 1064cc engine, they are more often than not listed for the V11 sport only. I'm quite happy to email a supplier and ask them if a part will fit my Tenni, but I would hope that asking for feedback on here would help me corroborate the info also.

Hope that has established me as not too lazy now :thumbsup:

Hi Skeeve,

I did do a search yeh.. Have read the various pinned posts (e.g. pods v filter mods). I was assuming that it would fit., but as it's going to involve me importing it from the US, I wanted to make certain.

I have read Ivan Falloon's Guzzi History and one thing that does come across is that their were small mods each year to the V11. I'm also finding that while there are quite a few 'hop up' parts available for the 1064cc engine, they are more often than not listed for the V11 sport only. I'm quite happy to email a supplier and ask them if a part will fit my Tenni, but I would hope that asking for feedback on here would help me corroborate the info also.

Hope that has established me as not too lazy now :thumbsup:

Hey buddy

you just go ahead and ask, better to be honest and say you don't know than BS your way through it and destroy a good bike. Regarding mods to v11s, they can be divided as follows:

very early ones 1999 - red wheels, mk1 forks, mk1 frame, electric fuel tap

2000 - 02 - mk1 frame, grey wheels, mk1 or mk2 forks, electric or manual fuel tap, two types of shaft

2002 - Aprilia made significant changes to frame, ECU, standardised on mk2 forks, and shaft type, and loads of cosmetic features. Injectors, air box etc were not changed

My view is that Aprilia are not stupid, they looked at the whole fuelling setup, and although not perfect ther is nothing funbdamenatlly wrong with it, except that it could breathe a little easier and exhaust a bit easier too. I put a K & N panel filter in mine and it perked it up slightly.

Cheers

Jon

There are people who say that removing the top of the airbox will gain you power. I have not tried it on a V11 so I don't know. But I have a bit of experience modding and racing motorcycles and my experience tells me that if the air box is reasonably well designed, as the V11 box seems to be, that removing the top of the box is not needed and that simply improving airflow into the box should suffice. Unless you have made such extreme changes to the motor that you absolutely need way more airflow, I would read some of the info available on modding the airbox top and go that route. My wifes V11 has a few mods including ported heads but is still has the stock airbox modded to allow more air in. Airboxes are a good thing. Removing them sometimes gains you power at one area of the rpm range but usually at the expense of power somewhere else.

thanks for the replies guys... much appreciated

I have used k and n's on previous bikes (and cars) and always felt they were a cost effective mod.

I'm planning to fit a power commander as well and will feedback on any dyno work on the original thread once that's done. I figure I can always go back to the standard air box if I need to.

I'm also interested to see if I get a similar effect to carb icing with this mod, as I have suffered this on cars and bikes (more so at night). Of course this might not be an issue with throttle bodies / efi I guess?

I think Greg Field posted his dyno testing results on K&N vs paper filter in stock and modified airboxes along with different exhaust crossovers a few years ago. Search his name + dyno and you can probably find it.

Hi Skeeve,

AFAIK, the airbox used for all the spine frames from the Daytona 1k forward is all same-same. At least the lids are, I believe: since they all seem to use the same filter, and the filter fits in the lid.

Umberto Todero did a pretty good job figuring out an airbox that would fit in the space allowed that would still manage to let the motor breathe a lit'l. Must have been the time spent working under Carcano in the Guzzi race shop back in the 50's when the ottocilindri was being developed... ;)

Search "airbox lid mod" and "Phil A" and see what you can find...

I don't know about the later versions of the Daytona (and the Sports that followed), but my '93 Daytona had a completely different airbox layout then the wifes V11. Unlike the V11 where the box wraps up and under the tank my Daytona airbox goes up and under the seat. It is an awkward layout and my friend who owned it before me removed part of it and installed velocity stacks with foam filter pods. I removed the rest of it to clean up the bike for service and to make room for a larger battery. Guzzi airboxes seem to be more of a compromise then most other airboxes maybe due to the layout of the motor and the distance between the intake tracts. The frame and the airbox are fighting for the same space at the back of the motor. That is why I think the ideal solution may be to combine the two and use a large hollow section of frame as the airbox. I believe Ghezzi and Brian have already done something along those lines, it just needs to be taken further.

I don't know about the later versions of the Daytona (and the Sports that followed), but my '93 Daytona had a completely different airbox layout then the wifes V11. Unlike the V11 where the box wraps up and under the tank my Daytona airbox goes up and under the seat. It is an awkward layout and my friend who owned it before me removed part of it and installed velocity stacks with foam filter pods. I removed the rest of it to clean up the bike for service and to make room for a larger battery.

Doh! :doh:

You're absolutely right; thanks for that correction. I forgot that the original Daytona had the ram air intakes at the rear, behind the rider [never quite figured out how that was supposed to work, but it was what it was...]

The Daytona RS, Spot & Sporti, Centauro & v11 Sport (& its derivatives, like my V11LM) all share similar airbox layouts. The lid off a Centauro airbox fits just fine on my LM 'box, I can tell you that much for certain.

Guzzi airboxes seem to be more of a compromise then most other airboxes maybe due to the layout of the motor and the distance between the intake tracts. The frame and the airbox are fighting for the same space at the back of the motor. That is why I think the ideal solution may be to combine the two and use a large hollow section of frame as the airbox. I believe Ghezzi and Brian have already done something along those lines, it just needs to be taken further.

Don't know that you can get enough volume with a frame-breather a la' Ghezzi&Brian, altho' I like the idea. The one G&B I saw up close seemed like they'd done quite a bit to increase the frame volume at the back end by the pork chops, but w/o a big increase in the size of the main spar, I don't think it could really live up to its potential.

I haven't seen the layout of the airbox on the Quotard (twin spar) bikes [Griso, Breva, Norge, et al], but that may be where their greatest potential lies, ignoring obvious technical progress like the new QV motor.

I agree that the real reason none of the Guzzisti who've switched to pods over the years have had significant complaints about changes to performance is because the airbox designs on all of these bikes are such HUGE compromises, as you pointed out. Still got to give props to Todd @ Guzzitech, Phil A. & others for the airbox lid modification: the does seem to be about the cheapest, quickest & easiest means of helping these lumps breathe properly [or at least better!]

Don't know that you can get enough volume with a frame-breather a la' Ghezzi&Brian, altho' I like the idea. The one G&B I saw up close seemed like they'd done quite a bit to increase the frame volume at the back end by the pork chops, but w/o a big increase in the size of the main spar, I don't think it could really live up to its potential.

See, that is my plan. A very large cross section frame, preferably out of aluminum, gives you the volume you need for the air box AND a more rigid structure for better handling. There is enough room between the cylinders for a much larger cross section and you could even pull the air from up front by the steering head and run it down the frame and to the cross tube where the pork chops are now. With out the need for a separate air box there is more room for a large diameter cross tube (it could even be square if that fits better) then what is there now.

But that is all pie in the sky now. It's just talk. For now.

See, that is my plan. A very large cross section frame, preferably out of aluminum, gives you the volume you need for the air box AND a more rigid structure for better handling. There is enough room between the cylinders for a much larger cross section and you could even pull the air from up front by the steering head and run it down the frame and to the cross tube where the pork chops are now. With out the need for a separate air box there is more room for a large diameter cross tube (it could even be square if that fits better) then what is there now.

But that is all pie in the sky now. It's just talk. For now.

You & I think along the same lines; I too have had a similar vision since soon after seeing a pic of the spine frame w/ motor in situ [actually, iirc, it was a pic of the Sport from above w/ the tank removed, displaying the spine frame, wiring harness, and the motor from above.]

Seemed silly at the time that such a wimpy spar was all that held the front end in alignment; seemed like you could take beer-can thin aluminum, fill up all that wasted space btw the cylinders, ditch the 'box and still end up lighter & sturdier than the square tube [two, stacked, actually] used in the spine frame.

Like you said, all pie-in-the-sky armchair engineering [for now! ;)]

• 4 months later...

Finally got the FBF filter kit fitted...

Import from US was via US Postal Service and can be tracked online (in case anyone else from the UK is thinking of getting one).. My local Guzzi dealer had never seen one before..

Have to admit; it is noisy. Haven't had it on the dyno yet, so will have to see if it's positive or negative gains in the temperate Essex climate!

Thanks for the replies and tips for my original post.