Tech Session @ SSR

docc

In the past South'n Spine Raids , we've taken rear drive temperatures, brake rotor temperatures, re-gapped fussy plugs, and refitted exhaust cross-overs.

This year, I propose to measure the depth of swingarm pins and see just who is right, left, or center.

Bring Your Own Spine Frame!

Bring Your Own Spine Frame!

That's rather elitist :grin: - Loops/Tonti's and Spines all have the same basic swingarm setup.

(To add to the controversy, though- I just measure the threads sticking out with a vernier)

That's rather elitist :grin: - Loops/Tonti's and Spines all have the same basic swingarm setup.

Really? I was not aware any loops or Tontis had a monoshock & floating final drive... :doh:

;)

(To add to the controversy, though- I just measure the threads sticking out with a vernier)

I did not know that the swingarm centering could be adjusted on loops and Tontis like the spine frame's side plate pins. I'm suggesting we can measure the depth of the pins inside the lock nuts for symmetry (or not) and see how off center the swingarms may be on the spineys that we can get our little grubby calipers on.

If you come to the SSR and dubious parties are plying you with high octane grappa, it may be that dark forces are at work pushing calipers into your swingarm pins while you are otherwise diverted.

Don't say I didn't warn you . . .:drink:

I had the privilege of tuning another V11 sport today. The swingarm pins were symmetrical (within 0.002").

Maybe mine shouldn't be to the right 0.079" . . .

Can anyone else check the depth of their swingarm pins inside the lock nuts with a Vernier caliper and compare side to side?

Mine measures 0.205" on the left and 0.115" on the right with 10 lb. preload on the bearings. My bike is set to track the front and rear wheels (almost) perfect.

Mine measures 0.205" on the left and 0.115" on the right with 10 lb. preload on the bearings. My bike is set to track the front and rear wheels (almost) perfect.

By "10 lb.", you mean you turn the pins in until you get ten pound-feet of torque on a torque wrench? How did you determine that measure? I could only turn them in til the bearings bound and back them off "a reasonable amount" (maybe a quarter turn or less).

And, as I recall, you did your tracking alignment by the glass tube method. I used a laser, but wonder if my pronounced left side tire wear would resolve if I centered the swingarm . . .:huh2:

You could be happy with your method of tightening the swingarm pivot bolts. My objective was to remove any lateral movement of the swingarm. My method was an amalgam of RH's & others on swingarm alignment. Try the flourescent tube(s) method to see what you come up with. It might take six hands and two good heads to do this....

BTW, I don't know if it will help the tire wear. It can't hurt either..

• 1 month later...

Seven spine frames arrived at the SSR. While unsuspecting riders ate, slept or otherwise looked on, the Vernier calipers were applied to compare the depth of the pins inside the lock nuts.

One Spiney didn't get measured since we couldn't get Michael sufficiently distracted or detained. I couldn't figure out how to check them rolling and this guy never stopped moving!

The measurements (in inches):

Josh's Sport 1100 - 0.004 right

docc's V11 Sport - 0.077 right

Dan's v11 Sport - 0.012 left

Mike's Centauro - 0.007 right

Ron's Centauro - 0.093 left

Thad's LeMans - 0.025 right

So, it's true, they were all over the place. Some riders could say that for one reason or another their swingarms had been off the bike at one time or another. There was no way to check any kind of 'preload' or lateral play. Josh had centered his swingarm in the carrier plates and I had (tried my best) to center my tires one behind the other.

I really don't know what it all means, but figured I would report back. Sadly, no one showed up saying, "I've come to have my swingarm measured!"

I do remember the E.TN guys saying, "Nice to meet you. Where's breakfast?":sun:

Well I was curious about the results, glad you reported the info Doc. I suppose the thimbles and nuts should be measured pre assembly to ensure continuity in size for your survey. I would think using the laser method on the edges of your rims would result in true alignment, but if the rubber is wearing on the left, something is out. Heavy gear (medical kit, scotch) in the starboard saddlebag could cause this :lol: . As would the tendency to corner harder to the left (real common). :race: Give it the coast test, leave the bars alone, if you have to keep nudging the machine with one of your knees to keep it tracking straight then bring the difference down within .010, try it again. Seems to me if your swingarm is off to the right the machine will tend to fall to the left requiring you to compensate, that will result in uneven tyre wear. :2c: