I hope MG gets it together

DeBenGuzzi

You know, I bought my Cali Aluminum under the thought process that I needed a cruiser type bike. And after adding a fly screen and a good set of rear shocks, it's pretty damn good. But I really think the cruiser/comfort thing is overrated. My Tenni is just as comfortable on the road without tiring my back, and the wind blast gets tiring on the Cali after awhile. So now the Cali gets used for two-up riding and grocery/hardware store runs 'cause of the extra storage.

You know, I bought my Cali Aluminum under the thought process that I needed a cruiser type bike. And after adding a fly screen and a good set of rear shocks, it's pretty damn good. But I really think the cruiser/comfort thing is overrated. My Tenni is just as comfortable on the road without tiring my back, and the wind blast gets tiring on the Cali after awhile. So now the Cali gets used for two-up riding and grocery/hardware store runs 'cause of the extra storage.

TRUE but you have a tenni, the Sport is just me in the wind, would really like a windscreen and some storage with a relaxed ride, not too relaxed though I do get that as hard on my back I did have a suzuki marauder 800 cruiser before I got the V11 and it was murder on my tailbone after about already listed 1/2 hour, The aprilia has been the better touring bike with the full fairing and funny it also has roomier accommodations for me, the one hardley I do like a lot is the street bob with its close pegs and controls under the rider, can't get something like that this year or even the BMW anything I think if something happens I'll just pay off bills and keep to one bike till next year. IF anything happens.

You're a big fellow, right? If you don't need speed, think about an older ('70s) Bimmer or Loopframe. I love the comfort of those bikes and the styling pegs the cool-o-meter. Of course, they don't go as fast as the young whippersnappers, but you'll be grinning as you putt along at 60 and they pull the bugs out of their teeth....

Oh, they are pretty reasonable ($) too.

don't care too much for 2 up, once in awhile around town but when I want to really go somewhere its solo, I get what youre saying too, I'm so torn. I want 3 bikes but the wife is already against 2, just tolerant of it. I've heard the 1200c cruisers are dogs but I'm in no hurry just comfort, sat on a few and I could see it being pretty comfy

You're a big fellow, right? If you don't need speed, think about an older ('70s) Bimmer or Loopframe. I love the comfort of those bikes and the styling pegs the cool-o-meter. Of course, they don't go as fast as the young whippersnappers, but you'll be grinning as you putt along at 60 and they pull the bugs out of their teeth....

not a bad idea, not worried about speed at all, just want creature comforts, aprilia goes faster than I EVER need to go, don't need to rip across town, I want a putter

I've ridden non stop from Laguna Seca raceway to Vancouver 4 times. I've done an Iron Butt run, 1550 miles/28hrs non stop, on an Airhead GS, no worries, went to work the next day. Comfort?? Yes my friend. If there's one engine out there that can last as long as a Moto Guzzi twin, it's an airhead.

Steve

If you're thinking about a cruiser look for a Valkyrie. Maybe the best riding position of any cruiser. Not as much leg room as a dual-sport like a GS but still has your feet under you rather than out front. Surprising handling for a heavy weight and a great motor.

When I had more stamina (could stay awake and my eyes were stronger), I did San Francisco to Austin nonstop (26 hours) many times on a G5 (Guzzi's version of a barcolounger) and on my old R90S. That R90S was a damn comfortable long-distance touring bike. I'm sorry I sold it (aren't we always).

I'm kind of looking around for a replacement airhead now- 90/6 or R100RS....if anyone sees something I shouldn't pass up......

Anyway, back to the thread- Ben, the loopframes definitely aren't fast, but they are Sh*t eating grin fun. Just a real pleasure to ride on. And they do pretty respectably in terms of handling and stopping if you bother to set them up properly. Greg Field has gone a bit overboard with his (in a good way), but my basically stock Eldo has never let me down and I have no problem scraping the floorboards on long sweepers. Twitchy, they are not.

I've ridden non stop from Laguna Seca raceway to Vancouver 4 times. I've done an Iron Butt run, 1550 miles/28hrs non stop, on an Airhead GS, no worries, went to work the next day. Comfort?? Yes my friend. If there's one engine out there that can last as long as a Moto Guzzi twin, it's an airhead.

Steve

If you're thinking about a cruiser look for a Valkyrie. Maybe the best riding position of any cruiser. Not as much leg room as a dual-sport like a GS but still has your feet under you rather than out front. Surprising handling for a heavy weight and a great motor.

cool you suggest that, I REALLY like them too, looked into a Valkyrie also, would definitely get one of those, all good options and ideas here.

Customize a Cali Vintage. That would be fun. Start with those cool aluminum spoke rims that appeared briefly (Bassa). Tail light/plate bracket off a loop frame, remove the latin gak that covers an otherwise decent machine (extra lights, cheap tinny covers, nasty mirrors). How about a quick release Bat wing fairing, custom handlebar, Ambo headlight shell, luggage by Craven (the price of a used motorcycle itself). D-boards for your feet and a leather saddle. Whew! I am getting carried away but ya could turn one of those black and white disco balls into a proper machine if your number comes up in that lottery. B)

• 4 weeks later...

Good bike. My buddy Easy loves his.

Same here.

Lovely looking and very comfortable to ride.Once I get on mine I just relax and chill out.If I did n't have to wear a helmet and had some hair I'd ride and let the wind blow thru, it.

I looked at customizing mine in some way, but when I looked hard at it the only thing I was willing to do was to chrome the tank, which I,ve now had done[it looks ace]. I've just got to repaint some of it,when I can decide which bits, then it will be ready for the run to N.Ireland.

I wouldn't mind a chrome rear light holder, as per the original brochure bike, but ubfortunately not available.

Does anyone know anything about chrome finishing for plastic parts?

Andy.

Or instead of customizing a Cali vintage, find an Aluminum...same thing already done up with drag bars and the like. I think there was another one, too- the Stone, maybe?