Is this fuel pump the right spec? Help appreciated.

Molly

Using the advice already given here I’ve bought a replacement fuel pump for my 2000 V11.

The info I have is that the stock one is 3.0 bar (43.5psi) and 1.6 litres per minute. The generic replacement I have (Fuelmiser FPE240) is rated at 2.9 litres per minute @ 200 kpa. I need to know if this is OK to use (think it’s based on the one for the 1991 BMW 318 IC)?

Many thanks in advance. It's much appreciated.

...The info I have is that the stock one is 3.0 bar (43.5psi) and 1.6 litres per minute. The generic replacement I have (Fuelmiser FPE240) is rated at 2.9 litres per minute @ 200 kpa. ...

As long as it doesn't stall at 300 kPa it should work. You don't have specs for 3 bar?

I found this: "For what its worth the fuel pump I/we use is a fuelmiser brand (made by BOSCH) part no.FPE 240 and they cost between 240-280 dollars specs are 70psi fuel pressure and 250 litres /hr if you are using that much fuel I want a go in your boat!"

BTW, I'm still running the OEM pump on my KR - since over 100.000km.

Hubert

Without further specs on the pump it is hard to say, but the specs you gave show way more volume at less pressure. 200 KPa is, I believe, only 2 Bar. As long as the pump can do 3 bar you should be okay. But if it can't then it likely won't work. You might want to look into the fuel system specs for the BMW it is meant for to see what they are. What pressure do they run their fuel system at? It is okay to have a pump that can do higher pressure then 3 bar because the regulator will control that. But if it can't do 3 Bar then it is not a good choice.

Don't have the Fuelmiser specs to hand but cross-referenced with the AC Delco equivalent (EP102AU).

This is 2.4 LMP @ 200 KPA, 3.6 amps, max pressure 700, max amps 9. Doesn't give bar. It's frustrating all this. The old pump is fine but for a hairline crack in the plastic inlet tube.

Thanks for your help so far. I may return this one and keep looking.

Don't have the Fuelmiser specs to hand but cross-referenced with the AC Delco equivalent (EP102AU).

This is 2.4 LMP @ 200 KPA, 3.6 amps, max pressure 700, max amps 9. Doesn't give bar. It's frustrating all this. The old pump is fine but for a hairline crack in the plastic inlet tube.

Thanks for your help so far. I may return this one and keep looking.

Seriously, check what the fuel system specs for the BMW are. If they run 3 Bar then you can be pretty sure that the pump can do it.

200KPa is 2 Bar, 300KPa is 3 Bar. Easy conversion.

Your problem is that it is only giving flow at 2 Bar and you need to know what it is at 3 Bar, if it will make it that high. My guess is it will, it sounds like it says max pressure 700 (KPa?), that is 7 Bar. But with the amount of money at stake you probably want better then a guess.

I found this: "For what its worth the fuel pump I/we use is a fuelmiser brand (made by BOSCH) part no.FPE 240 and they cost between 240-280 dollars specs are 70psi fuel pressure and 250 litres /hr if you are using that much fuel I want a go in your boat!"

If that quote is credible you're all set. 70 psi is 4.8 bar, more than enough. OEM has an internal relief valve @5 bar IIRC. Sounds good to me if we can find a better source for the 70 psi spec.

Edit: Hey, that exact BMW model is mentioned at the COG, citing an article from mgnoc. That pump is supposed to be perfect.

If that quote is credible you're all set. 70 psi is 4.8 bar, more than enough. OEM has an internal relief valve @5 bar IIRC. Sounds good to me if we can find a better source for the 70 psi spec.

Edit: Hey, that exact BMW model is mentioned at the COG, citing an article from mgnoc. That pump is supposed to be perfect.

Thanks again. I used the BMW details when I sourced this Fuelmiser one. Further investigation revealed two other ones of the same spec (AC Delco and, erm, sorry, it escapes me). Anyway, all being well, there should be a good number of alternatives. Will let you know how things work out.

The old pump is fine but for a hairline crack in the plastic inlet tube.

And JB Weld or an equivalent reinforced epoxy (like Devcon) wouldn't set things straight without replacing the pump?