Guest northend

Guest northend

I'm curious if Mike Rich has found the same problem with 03 cylinder heads

as previous models (soft valves) :(

And can anybody tell me what a street port job costs and how much HP

does it make? :helmet:

Thanks .............Jeff H.

Guest david s.

call Mike at 866-676-7767 he seems to be nice enough guy, he spent about 20 min. discussing headwork and valve replacement with me, for his stage one headwork he quoted me $695. that I believe does not include vavle replacement. it is said that you realize between 8 and 10 hoursepower. what i'm curious about is if you, who have gone this route are satisfied with the outcome ? i for one am very seriously concidering doing this work over the winter, but need more input from "satisfied customers", i hope some of you who have done this will respond. thanks, david s.

Guest northend

Thanks for the input David.

I typed in "Mike Rich"in the search box at the bottom and came up with a

bunch of topics on the subject.

One was on how soft the stock valves are,another was on porting and

how much the cost was ( 695.00 ) for a stage one not including valves.

Apparently the valves have to go too, 38.00 a pop per valve (152.00)

Total so far 847.00 which aint bad at all for 10 to 12 HP and a very

noticeable improvment in mid range power. :thumbsup:

I'm with you david,I'd like to hear from somebody who has had it done.

HELLO!!!...Anybody get a stage I port job from Mike Rich???? :luigi:

I'm sure others here will also pipe in, quite a few Mike Rich heads on the list.

Sent mine in, told him to go ahead and do the soft valves along with new guides.

Peace of mind knowing the heads are perfectly tuned with each other and valves are top notch.

The end result is a Guzzi motor that wants to spend alot of the ride in the upper rev range. Very fast revving and breaths much better than stock.

A few intake mods will help, along with some exhaust options like slip ons and crossovers compliment everything.

Slap on a PCIII get a custom map and things will be strong! :thumbsup:

I did a few other minor mods(cam) and the results are super.

The graph below was on a freshly rebuilt motor. It has loosened up a bit and the titanium pushrods may be doing something also.

post-5-1068253870_thumb.jpg

I got the "Stage II" work done, and the new valves.... I think it was around $1400 when all said and done.

I don't have John's cam, but I achieved 86rwhp with not so great valve-settings. I think after the valves were set, I peaked at 84rwhp, but it ran a lot more consistently. If I can get 90rwhp consistently, I'll be "done" and happy.

Next is the cam and pistons.

Unfortunately the hp figures we often quote aren't as objective as we might like, since we all live at different altitudes, ambient temperatures, and the dynos can vary themselves. But I think most stock V11 Sport/LeMans run at about 78rwhp, so 6 to 8 real rwhp of improvemet is pretty good IMHO :thumbsup:

Keep in mind that the hp figures Mike quotes are gross, not rwhp. So if he is quoting 5 to 6 hp per cylinder, reduce that by whatever percentage the driveline loses. It should be in the ballpark of what I've seen.

But bottom line, Mike does top-notch work, and is more than happy to chat your ear off helping you decide what is best for you. He definitely doesn't try to up-sell you if you don't need the work for your application, and I appreciate it.

Oh, and if you are sending work in, keep in mind that Winter is very busy for him, and his backlog can be a couple months :unsure: So plan accordingly.

al

P.S.

I have no idea regarding the '03 valves :huh2:

I don't have John's cam, but I achieved 86rwhp with not so great valve-settings. I think after the valves were set, I peaked at 84rwhp, but it ran a lot more consistently.

You also did twin plugs.

Were the pair of twin plugs hooked up when you dyno'd?

...nope single(normal) plugs only, I just installed the dual-output coils last week as a matter of fact ^_^ Up to this point, the second plug has just been "plugged" but not operational.

I should have the coils all hooked up, and the bike back together by late next week once my final parts show up. Then I can go off to Hare and get the PCIIIUSB mapped the following if all goes well.

al

P.S.

BTW, Mike's new drop in pistons are supposed to negate the need for dual-plugging :thumbsup:

BTW, Mike's new drop in pistons are supposed to negate the need for dual-plugging :thumbsup:

O.K.now!

This is the only other Mod. I would consider. :P:

Anyone out there tried these yet?

Winter is here and I need something to do to the Rippin Rosso. Maybe make it more Rippin?

Looks like an easy mod and as long as I don't need to re-balance the internals, it looks like an easy afternoon in the garage. :luigi:

Also thinking about making the EV a torque monster. Want it to pull like a big rig while the Rosso make the hp.

:rasta:

Oh the humanity! Does it ever stop? :blink:

Guest northend

I've heard from a relialable source that there were "3" slightly different bores to the V 11"s in 03 which could make piston fitment a problem. Any truth to this rumor??? :huh:

Sound"s a bit far fetched but ya never know :huh2: Also I didn't know that Mike Rich sold pistons. What compression are they?, and how much are they?

Hey Mike Rich !!, Where are ya??? Got a computer?? Talk to us!!

Sleepless in Detroit.............Jeff H. :rasta:

\P.S. Your not thinkin of puttin a diesel on that EV are ya John? :homer:

Mike's not likely to hear ya :P He's got a computer for sure, but he's so very busy he doesn't have the time to check out this forum. Keep in mind that reworking Guzzi heads isn't his only set of customers, as he does work for lots of other people and their vehicles as well. So he'd have to keep an eye on many different forums, both automotive and motorcycle alike :rolleyes:

He's got an email, but even that takes him a couple days to get around to answering, although he is very thorough in responding. He's just more of a shop guy than a computer user.... which I'm sure many here can relate to ^_^

In regard to his new pistons, he's apparently been developing them for quite some time, and are just now available. He's designed the pistons and squish-band such that the solutions dual-plugging provides would no longer be needed. He offers the pistons up to 11:1 compression if I recall, but his recommendations aren't to go beyond 10-10.5:1 for street applications.

They are drop-in, and require no rebalancing, and can be lightened as well.

I think the kit is either $300 or 400. Beyond that, you really should just give him a call. He's very happy to chat your ear off about what he has and what will work well for your application :thumbsup:

al